Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Neil's Premature TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Neil's Premature TF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
I didn't do nothing man! I just put mine together today so, I learned a few tips/tricks.

I'll get them hexes in the mail so we can see what them tires look like mounted up. I'm still deciding on tires.
I am really liking the MTZs, I want this to have the tire in close to the body so the narrower tires appeal to me.

Last edited by neillarson; 02-29-2012 at 08:08 AM.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Hexes came in and after remounting 2 of the MTZs a second time and one of them a Third time, they are working. The electronics are in and it is running. I ended up doing the Rooster Suspension Leaf mod to all 4 leafs, pulled the springs out of the shocks and filled them 1/2 way with 30wt shock oil. SOme as the show melts I beed to run it hard for a pack so I can check temps and verify my gearing and to break in the leafs. I am sure it will be a few outings before i have it right.

I assembled the body to see how it sits. Looks good. hopefully some warm weather will come thru this week and I can get some paint on it. Dinky shell is just sitting in place.

Leaf Mods

1.9 MTZs fit nicely

Cap looks good

Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Got it pained and up and running.

Then took it out to a comp.

This thing performs amazing. I need to get some after pics, lots of rock rash and both mirrors gone, need to switch those for some rubber one.

Next up is the interior then tube work and the shell.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Got a good start on my Front Bumper, but I need to work out a mounting system because the plastic mounts that come with the TF2 are pure garbage. Once you mount even a 3Racing winch it flexes and bends constantly, no way that will hold a steel bumper.

Thinking of a steel square tube the same size as the cross bar with some 3MM nuts brazed in the ends then weld a set of square tube rails to the bumper.

Anyway, started with a 1" X 1/8" Bar stock. Cut to approximate length and bent to rough shape.

Then added an 18GA plate to the top that is contoured to the front fascia of the truck (I know, ugly welding)

Fully welded and ground smooth, then added a winch guard to 3/16" tube. this was tacked then silver soldered. Still a lot oif clean up to do, but going out with the wife so it will have to wait.

I will never make a living at this, but my welder and cutting torch that I used on my trailers and plan to use around the farmlet, works fairly well in this shop.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Looks good.. Should clean up nice and then once its painted it will look all sorts of blingy
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Ok, what do you think? Does this look too big for the TF2?

I would trim the front facia and fenders to fit if I keep this.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

not to hate but that bumper is way to big

other then that its looking good
calikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Not a problem, it is big, I think I need to thin it down a bit and them put the winch on it and see how it sits. If not, I may change to a square tube frame with sheet meta over it to get the Warn look.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Here's one from a couple weeks ago Neil..

Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Nice, that was before I scratched it all up. I have the front bumper and it's mounts done, working this weekend to build spring hangers into it then move to the rear and sliders. I really hate how bendy the stock ones are. Axial did a much better job on their plastic junk.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Time to get going and finish this one up as I have already ran it and scratched it all up. The bumper I made was to big bit I salvaged it by making it a little shorter and shallower. I have ht amounts made for it and will get the front leaf hangers welded to the bumper mounts on Wednesday. Then on to the sliders and read bumper. Interior is in and done, driver is in.

here is the list of mods/changes I did from the base kit.

- did the Rooster mod to all leafs
- reverse the front springs (in progress)
- Front leaf hanges on the number rails and rear of front leafs using shackles
- Moved shift servo to behind the mount plate transversely between the frame rails.
- Added a plate above that for the ESC and BEC
- moved the electronics box to the rear
- Modified a dinky interior to fit without the floor and added the Mohave Bench seat with a driver.
- Went to 1.9 MYZs on PRO10 wheels
- Will use square stock for my rock sliders and for the rear bumper.
- Added XVD shafts

I will get some more detailed pics posted Wednesday as my wife is having surgery tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Basically finished this for now. Still want to make Rock Sliders and a Rear Bumper but I need to find the right stock for the sliders.

So what did I do different. I moved the shift servo to the rear between one of the cross members and the electronics plate. I made a plate to mount the ESC and BEC in a bag (Trojan un-lubricated Condom, should see the look from my wife when I take a 1/2 dz rubbers into the woods with a bunch of guys for a trail run or comp). I moved the electronic box to the rear and put the receiver in it. Right now it is not closing but I am removing the case and spraying the receiver with a water proofing spray.

Wire loomed all the cables, mounted my heavy as hell front bumper and winch.

Resprayed the body, added the stripes, trimmed the from valence and reassembled. Added the lights.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Made a few poser shots.

Rear flex was good but the front wasn't moving. Found that I had cranked down too hard on the shackles and they were not moving. Fixed that and it moves better but I need to remove the helper spring now.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Looks good. The bumper is beefy.. Looks better all finished up & mounted. Its ready to smash things!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #35
RCC Addict

The bumper worked out well. I took the height down by 3/16" and narrowed the deck by about 1/4". It fits pretty good now. Probably going the same route for the rear but I can't find any stock for the sliders. Need tube or solid, 3/16" X 5/16" (or 1/4") about 7 inches long for each side.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Made a spare tire mount for the TF2. Copied one I had from DH Fab. Mine doesn't look as good as Dave's but it will do.

Both side by side

Mine

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Mounted the spare tire rack and the spare. Also added the Toyota 4WD emblems.

Next is to work on the sliders and replace the body mounts, They are absolute junk especially if you use the interior door panels, the extra thickness means a 5 min fight each time you have to remove and replace the body. So I will add welded bolts for body mounts to the new sliders. On to the pics

Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I'm loving this color, really cool. That bumper turned out awesome as well. Has a nice chunky look to it.

Oh, I see your electronics are well "protected" lol . You got rice or something inside to absorb any moisture?

Keep the updates and pics rolling.

Cheers
T
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Comparisons of the Hilux Flares from RCModelex and the Big Boss Hilux Flares from RC4WD. Big Boss are much thicker and more flexible and I really like the looks of the screw mounts. They do reduce the wheel clearance a small amount as they actually wrap around the body molded flare. They also need more trimming.

I feel the Boss Flares are far superior. I have 2 sets of them and one set of the RCModelex. My red hilux may need the RCModelex as I think I am going to need more clearance as I have a lot more flex.

RCModelex on top.

Front Outside

Front Inside

Rear Outside

Rear Inside

RC4WD on the truck (not glued or screwed

RCModelex on the truck (not glued)

Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
RCC Addict

One Slider, solid stock welded. Kind of rough but will work with a little more filing and paint.

Neil's Premature TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neil's Unimog Redux neillarson 1.9 Scale Rigs 71 06-16-2013 05:01 PM
LMoosekey's RC4WD TF2 Class 1 Build Moosekey RC4WD Trail Finder 2 40 10-26-2012 01:45 PM
Neil's Wraith neillarson Axial Wraith 114 07-01-2012 07:26 PM