Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Tire Rub. Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tire Rub. Help

Had alot of problems with the front wheels hitting the front body at full lock or under load. Adjusted everything I could to this point. Running stock everything for now. When you push down on the hood area you can see the shackles flex with the leafs and the axle seems to move forward just a little since the rear of the leaf is mounted stationary. I swapped the leafs around like some are doing on here but after that, the shackels don't have anywhere to go and the leaf hits the frame.

Is there an easy fix to this? I'd take a pic but the whole truck is apart at this point.

Thanks for any info
juttsvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tire Rub. Help

Am I the only one that has tire rub with a stock setup?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It does sound like a unique problem. Pictures would definitely help. Perhaps the rear shackles got put into the wrong holes?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
It does sound like a unique problem. Pictures would definitely help. Perhaps the rear shackles got put into the wrong holes?
Was thinking the same thing but the rear connect right into the little cutouts in the frame so thats correct.

I'll try to get the truck back together tonight or tomorrow to get some pics
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok so here we go. I was able to get the truck back together the way it should be. Now there are still a couple issues. One would be the tire rub as listed in the pics. You can see at 3/4 to full lock the tire is right up against the fender. Keep in mind at this time there is no battery or motor in the truck.

The 3rd pic you can see that the front wheel looks like its pushed forward for some reason.

Second issue is that there is no suspension in the front. If you push down on the hood the only movement that I get is in the flex of the tires. If you can see in the pics I have the RC4WD Machined Winch bumper. I like the way it looks on this truck but the shackles seem to hit the bottom of the bumper causing the suspension not to work.

That being said, I am at the point of spending the extra cash to get the 3-link kit for the front with some King shocks hopping this will fix the problem.

Any assistance would be great.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Hi mate. Right this isn't unique and will happen on most TF2 builds.

I'll tell you below what you can do to fix all of them.

1, Tyre rub. I used lexan scissors to simply round off the two square edges at the bottom of the wheels arches. This will give you just that few mm's extra clearance for the tyre to miss.
2, Front Suspension travel. In stock form yes the front leafs/shackles butt up to the bodyshell. A great mod is to fit Tamiya Bruiser Leaf mounts on the front. Then like you have mentioned reverse the front leafs so the shackles are at the back. This method will probably mean you won't need to trim the arches either so solves two issues in one.
If you don't want to buy Bruiser Leaf mounts you can like I have just done remove some of the shell where the leafs hit it. Here's pics of the body trimmed

These are common issues, but its these little mods that make the car your own I think. Just to note I fitted RC4WD tango down wheels (1.9) with RC4WD Prowler tyres and they easily clear the bodyshell untrimmed.

Hope this helps.

PS if you can be bothered to search my first TF2 build thread you will see I've fitted the Bruiser leaf mounts which you can just make out in the next pic.

Last edited by northernerbill; 05-01-2013 at 12:49 AM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by juttsvw View Post
This picture looks like your axle isn't centered in the well. Also your front shock is angled forward that also tells me that it is a tad to the front.

I have built three of these and never had an issue.

I'll have to look at the Team Truck and see if I can see what is going on...

My other truck has flares.

Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

your leafs are look "flat" and thats making the wheels sit far forward i swapped the mounting points on mine and made new hangers to sit the axle forward to the "center" of the opening

Last edited by turbomini; 05-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.
turbomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Did you say mine had a kink in them? Got an email with that...you must have edited it. That picture is of a brand new built rig.

Now the comment about the straight leafs on his is definitely an issue. That would push the axle forward.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
RCC Addict

His front shock looks like its been placed behind the axle then the upper mount repositioned to the rear, I've done this too.

The front wheel though as said is very far forward which indicates the front is totally compressed (or almost totally).

Remove the front leafs and give them a bend carefully increasing the curve. This will increase ride height and draw the wheel back further in the arch.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wow thanks for all the replies. One of the issues I ran into when flipping the leafs around is that when you move the bracket to the front, I am unable to use the RC4WD bumper that I have so I ended up placing it back to the stock location. In the pics above I have the mid leaf on top, main leaf in the middle and the smaller one at the bottom. Now yes I could bend the main spring to more of an arch and even place all 3 leafs in order "large,Med,small" would tighten up the whole system that would place the wheel in the middle of the arch but would then be so stiff I wouldn't have any flex.

Oh and yes, the shocks are mounted behind the axle with the shock towers moved back also.

SO is my best bet to just bend the leafs a little and raise the truck up?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The reason that I ask is that I am at the point of just going with a 3-link in the front hoping that would solve all my problems. But if its just a couple bend leafs thats the issue, I'd be happy with that for sure.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

trim the body. your axle placement looks good to me, farther forward than normal. if you look at 90% of Toyotas on the trail, you'll notice the front axle has been pushed forward. your setup is much more realistic than the intended TF2 setup, in my opinion.
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

If your truck is very new then the leafs will be quite stiff but really bed in and become more supple after a few hours run time, a total transformation.

Also whilst you are at the bedding in stage maybe remove all the helpers, or just have the larger underneath to help keep the radius.

Last point, if you again reverse the front leafs you will like you say then not be able to fit your mojave bumper. If you buy the bruiser leaf mount you can remove the inner most front section of them with side cutters which still allows you to fit your bumper.

If you gave me your truck to sort but at no cost I would:

1, slightly round off the arch bottoms first.
2, re tension the leafs and only have one helper underneath, the larger one.
3, if that solves the tyre rub great but if your suspension still bottoms on the front valance I would shave off the valance to allow the shackle full travel.

If you gave me your truck to fix with minimum cost I would fit the bruiser leaf mount.

If you go down the 3 link route you will probably need new shocks too as the stock ones are just to cushion the leafs, not support all the weight.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
If your truck is very new then the leafs will be quite stiff but really bed in and become more supple after a few hours run time, a total transformation.

Also whilst you are at the bedding in stage maybe remove all the helpers, or just have the larger underneath to help keep the radius.

Last point, if you again reverse the front leafs you will like you say then not be able to fit your mojave bumper. If you buy the bruiser leaf mount you can remove the inner most front section of them with side cutters which still allows you to fit your bumper.

If you gave me your truck to sort but at no cost I would:

1, slightly round off the arch bottoms first.
2, re tension the leafs and only have one helper underneath, the larger one.
3, if that solves the tyre rub great but if your suspension still bottoms on the front valance I would shave off the valance to allow the shackle full travel.

If you gave me your truck to fix with minimum cost I would fit the bruiser leaf mount.

If you go down the 3 link route you will probably need new shocks too as the stock ones are just to cushion the leafs, not support all the weight.

Thank you for the offer.

When I get off work I am going to place the leafs in the stock position as intended till they break in. Large on top, mid then small at the bottom. The curve of the leafs "should" keep the correct curve on the main leaf that will keep the shackle off the frame. I may also have to trim a small area on the new bumper to allow the shackle full traval also.

Yes I will have to get new shocks to hold the weight cause those stock dampeners wont do much at all.

I'll keep updating the post as things go.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

easyest way is to just make some 2mm lift blocks or buy there 4-6 mm block kit
ak907killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak907killa View Post
easyest way is to just make some 2mm lift blocks or buy there 4-6 mm block kit
You know I was thinking the same thing.

However,,,,,,,, It worked! I took the whole thing apart again and added all 3 leafs in. Also bent the main leaf just a tiny bit and I now have my suspention back and no tire rub!!!

Thank you guys so much for the help. Saved me alot $$$$

Updated pics.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Excellent that looks much better doesn't it
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Excellent that looks much better doesn't it
Much better. Could not for the life of me figure this out.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Looks great...

I noticed your location...is that Beaver, PA?

Tire Rub. Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4.18 tires and larger, what are you doing about tire rub? kurtus RC4WD Trail Finder 2 10 07-22-2012 04:39 PM
tire rub on springs mversteeg1 Axial XR10 9 05-03-2012 01:11 PM
XR10 Tire and spring rub? morpheus_tn Axial XR10 21 01-31-2012 08:32 PM
tire rub ax10newguy General Crawlers 10 05-08-2010 12:32 AM
Axial tire rub alpinehyperite Newbie General 6 06-10-2008 08:02 PM