Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Project: My Wife Cannot Know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Project: My Wife Cannot Know

Thanks for the description and the links! If you get a minute tomorrow, I'd really love to see a picture of your work.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Thanks for the description and the links! If you get a minute tomorrow, I'd really love to see a picture of your work.
No problem. If I forget, feel free to PM to remind me.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

All the holes are filled and the back of the cab is in place. The grill will be from the Tamiya Hilux body so this truck will have the round headlights. I'll spray it with primer to see where the body work needs more smoothing out. I have a strong feeling I will need to do more sanding with finer grit sandpaper, but I'll have to pick some up tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Fantastic build thread. Great pictures, amazing parts, keep it coming. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Looking good. I'm starting on my second TF2 now and doing the body work as well. The first one I use longer grub screws in the front holes of the cab and earth magnets mounted under the bed, with adjustable screws in the rear to alter the ride height if need be. So far everything sits tight with the magnets. I'm able to pick up the bed with the body staying attached to the magnets. I'll be filling in the back two cab and grill mount holes, filling them with JB weld and finally wiping it with a skim coat of putty. Although I like the Idea seen here too!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

So first, let me say that this build looks amazing. I just ordered a TF2 and will be scaling it up more than I've ever done before (even with my Gelande), but what you're doing is on a whole different level. My tally isn't yet to where yours is, but it's not far off and won't take too long to catch up.

I hope my magnet mounting solution will help you (I think it will). Out of respect for your thread and not wanting to clutter yours with my pix, I went ahead and created a new thread with pix of my solution. Here's the link:

Cool way to mount bodies with magnets

On the lexan FJ40 body, I used Shoe Goo to glue scraps of lexan onto the underside of the body at the mounting points to protect the paint from the magnets and CA and also to provide a flat mounting surface on the body for the magnets. I don't have my TF2 in hand yet, so I'm not sure what the underside of the body at the mounting points looks like. Worst case if there's a lot of contour to the inside of the body at the mounting points would be to cut a few pieces of styrene to fit and then glue them in place before gluing the magnets on the body side. The finished product looks very clean from the outside, holds up really well on trail runs, and is easy to take off when it's wrenching time. (In case you're wondering, my rig weighs 7 lbs, and the magnets have no problem holding it up.)

I can't wait to see how yours progresses. Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 09-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Fantastic build thread. Great pictures, amazing parts, keep it coming. Subscribed.
Your excellent FAV and Wild One inspired me to try to find scale details that I had not considered before.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Looking good. I'm starting on my second TF2 now and doing the body work as well. The first one I use longer grub screws in the front holes of the cab and earth magnets mounted under the bed, with adjustable screws in the rear to alter the ride height if need be. So far everything sits tight with the magnets. I'm able to pick up the bed with the body staying attached to the magnets. I'll be filling in the back two cab and grill mount holes, filling them with JB weld and finally wiping it with a skim coat of putty. Although I like the Idea seen here too!
Quote:
So first, let me say that this build looks amazing. I just ordered a TF2 and will be scaling it up more than I've ever done before (even with my Gelande), but what you're doing is on a whole different level. My tally isn't yet to where yours is, but it's not far off and won't take too long to catch up.

I hope my magnet mounting solution will help you (I think it will). Out of respect for your thread and not wanting to clutter yours with my pix, I went ahead and created a new thread with pix of my solution. Here's the link:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint...ml#post4892797

On the lexan FJ40 body, I used Shoe Goo to glue scraps of lexan onto the underside of the body at the mounting points to protect the paint from the magnets and CA and also to provide a flat mounting surface on the body for the magnets. I don't have my TF2 in hand yet, so I'm not sure what the underside of the body at the mounting points looks like. Worst case if there's a lot of contour to the inside of the body at the mounting points would be to cut a few pieces of styrene to fit and then glue them in place before gluing the magnets on the body side. The finished product looks very clean from the outside, holds up really well on trail runs, and is easy to take off when it's wrenching time. (In case you're wondering, my rig weighs 7 lbs, and the magnets have no problem holding it up.)

I can't wait to see how yours progresses. Good luck!
You guys are full of good ideas. How are you with numbers? Pick six different numbers between 1 and 54.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

How about 3 in honor of Buckminster Fuller...
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Started on the interior this morning. The screws on bottom hold the bench seat to the floor.

Now, on to the firewall...
Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

If this whole moving accelerator/clutch thing works out I'm going to remove the doors. Since Bruce will have people looking at his feet, he needed some new kicks - untied of course. Those old 70's style Kung Fu shoes had to go.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Cutting with thread. How ridiculous.....yet it works.

One down, one to go.

Last edited by Alpha Male; 09-14-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

I think that I might take apart some small hinges and see if I can make the doors removable and still able to open and close. I think I can some up with a spring/latch mechanism to keep the doors shut when installed.

That also means more details for the door - more Styrene work.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Great updates. Are those she's from the street league figures?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Yes, they are! As the figures dry rot and disintegrate I save their shoes, pants and heads. I painted the molded on laces and added some string of my own.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Very well done sir!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Thanks!

It looks like the body lift I ordered won't be used on this build after all. Once the interior is finished it can set flat on the electronics plate with magnets glued on the bottom and large washers screwed onto the plate for them to stick to. The magnets I have are certainly strong enough to hold the cab and bed in place.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

The interior parts and the cab are being painted, so I started work on the bed. I wedged the same yellow plastic from the cab sprue through the holes in the body and glued them from underneath with CA. I soaked them from the top with Bondene. Hopefully I will be able to cut off the excess and sand everything smooth once everything sets. I'll use a textured black paint for bed liner.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Turned out pretty solid. Sanding and filing and sanding again to try to get everything smooth and even is....not fun. I used CA to fill in the low areas and sanded it smooth too. I think that it will be fine.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post

What did you use to sand the fins on the trim panel in to the filler plug?
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Project: My Wife Cannot Know - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Wife Beetler Project Jaynen 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 04-11-2008 07:49 PM
My Side Project for My Wife BGGruff Chit Chat 29 11-18-2007 12:03 PM
Things my wife says compared to things Badgers wife says. jason Chit Chat 16 05-20-2005 09:35 AM