Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HD's Scale Rubicon Redcat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #61
RCC Addict

i won't bother to suggest anything else.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #62
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
Aww come on Doc. He just f-ing with ya bub. It's all in fun man.

I worked on this for about 20 minutes last night and got it locked down. All I've got left to do is make up a Y-harness for the 4ws and mock up a more permenant mount for the RHC servo. I mounted it to the rear of my frame and used a camber link to connect to the rear axle. I have to keep some travel in the setup just in case I land hard and the rear suspension travels directly up instead of swaying from side to side as the do. I thought about doing what Jackalope said and using the stock location for the RHC servo, but I like my 4WS. I use a GT3B rx/tx, so the 3rd channel is on/off only and it holds great. I gain right at 1" clearance as it stands now. I have to try to work out a way of getting more leverage out of my servo because it does take alot of power. I thought about the winch idea too. I can only come up with ways of lowering it by using a winch or strap method. Some of the guys on rcbashers.com have came up with some badass ideas too using the upper shock mounts on hinges. But this method is the easiest way I've found to go about it. I took some pics last night, but I cant post up until after work. Thanks for the input guys. BTW, I like wenches, the more the merrier.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
doc, mine was all in clean fun,i do appreciate EVERYONE'S input on this forum(whether it's positive or negative) especially yall rs10 guys, hope to see that you still veiw my threads because i promise whether you do or not i have veiwed every post you have made since i joined & will continue to
happy crawlin
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #64
Fan of wheelspeed

Here are some pics. These were taken at the mock up stage. Once I get it perfected or decide to scrap the idea all together, finished product pics will follow.

After I had taken these last pics I found out I was actually lowering the susp by 1/4 due to having my servo saver in the wrong position, that and my trim was way out. Fixing this ended up getting me right at another 1/4" clearance.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #65
Fan of wheelspeed

So here are a few pics of progress so far. I redesigned the RHC system. I used the rear steer servo and mount and just ran a link up to the chassis spacer. I've got to either move my shocks forward some or find some much longer shocks. I'm maxed out on lift and I can still get a half inch or better out of the current config. I locked out the rear with some camber links. Works like a charm. But enough talk, here are the pics.

As you can see here, I'm not getting the lift I want because the shocks are limiting my travel.

I'm thinking new upper shocks mounts that wont allow the shock mounts to go up, but will allow them to swing down. Kinda like a swing arm with a bump stop at the top of the frame. This would allow the arms to drop down further to get the clearance I'm wanting, but not go up any higher to lose clearance when the servo isn't on. Make sense? My goal here is to gain 2", but if I squeeze out 1.5" I'll be happy. I may use another shock with a pen spring in place of the link I'm using as a push rod, not sure yet.

BTW: props to The Jackalope for the idea of this configuration instead of my other one.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 12-05-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #66
RCC Addict

hey you may try turnin the rear links around, i found that it seems to help your breakover angle more, lets the rear tires get closer to what your crawlin over without trying to lift the fronts up
Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #67
RCC Addict

OKAY, i see now what you are wanting to do, my only concern on this configuration is that you have no lateral travel in teh rear, just flex, so you suspension can't load and unload. this may have been suggested, but what about building a cam system for the upper shock mounts, your servo and mechanism would be frame mounted and the servos would be the height adjustment. if you are concerned about changing you shock angel too much, you could build a slide that made them stay at the right angel, think of a cam lock i guess, hard for me to describe, i could draw it for you if you like.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #68
Fan of wheelspeed

Fatboy: I've had them flipped around before trying diff things. They hit the motor like that.

Doc: Thats kinda what I'm working on with the upper shock mounts being able to travel down, but not up. This will allow the servo to stretch out and lift the chassis as high as my servo horn will allow. As far as lateral travel, I had mentioned using a shock with a stiff pen spring instead of the solid link setup thats rigged up now. This will allow the susp to have lateral travel (loading/unloading) and still be able to have enough tension to raise the rear instead of just compressing the spring. I think this will work.

So far I'm moving in the forward direction with this mod. It may be useless in alot of applications, but I can think of a couple where it'd pay off. I do alot of offroad trails, mud, rocks and deep water. The tractor tires along with this mod will allow me to drive through deeper mud/water and not have my rig looking all jacked up when I'm not in the slop. Plus it's pretty cool to raise and lower the Jeep with the push of a button.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

That's sweet! Never seen servo adjusted ride height before. Very cool build.
BackToThePast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #70
Fan of wheelspeed

I looked into using a swing arm made from some lower A-arms from a 4tec. I may go that route, not realy sure yet. I moved the lower shock mounts up the links some and got about a 1/2" more out of it on height when it's fully stretched out. I've got more to go though, so I may go ahead and find some longer shocks or longer shafts for these shocks. I think I can get another 1/2" or better out of it. I'm going to test it today on some rocks and see how it does. I'm searching for a long pen spring to replace the solid link with another shock. I'm also looking into going BTA with the servo horn. This will give me even more lift by getting the shock in a vertical position instead of being leaned forward and it'll tuck everything away nicely for a cleaner look too. This bad boy will be going LIPO in a couple weeks I may end up taking the entire upper portion of the chassis out of the picture once I do that. I can then move the elec tray and batt pack on the lower level and drop my COG by alot. I think...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #71
Fan of wheelspeed

Well, I tried it out on the rocks last night. I've def got to replace the solid link with a shock. It's very rigid and bounced when I had to back out in a hurry. But, on the positive side the RHC got me out of some holes between rocks where as before I woulda been stuck. So I can see some benefit in this mod. I was informed by my co-workers that it's not cool until the front does it too. So, I'm going to look into the same mod on the front. Pics to come.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #72
EJS

Default Re: HD's Scale Rubicon Redcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Well, I tried it out on the rocks last night. I've def got to replace the solid link with a shock. It's very rigid and bounced when I had to back out in a hurry. But, on the positive side the RHC got me out of some holes between rocks where as before I woulda been stuck. So I can see some benefit in this mod. I was informed by my co-workers that it's not cool until the front does it too. So, I'm going to look into the same mod on the front. Pics to come.
How about this -- figure out a movable top shock mount and then have the height adjustment servo act on the top shock mount. So, instead of pushing against the axle to raise or lower the buggy, the servo moves the top shock mount up or down. Sounds like that would solve the too-much-rigidity problem that you're describing.

I hope I described my idea reasonably well. It could be a bellcrank setup that allows the location of the top shock mount to move up or down with the servo.

S
EJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #73
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS View Post
How about this -- figure out a movable top shock mount and then have the height adjustment servo act on the top shock mount. So, instead of pushing against the axle to raise or lower the buggy, the servo moves the top shock mount up or down. Sounds like that would solve the too-much-rigidity problem that you're describing.

I hope I described my idea reasonably well. It could be a bellcrank setup that allows the location of the top shock mount to move up or down with the servo.

S
I've seen this setup. They basically made the upper shock mounts out of a "L" shaped bracket that allowed it to rotate and therefor raise the rear end up while retaining the shock travel. I've sat this rig back to work on my FOFF (going lipo) once I get the FOFF done, I'm switching to lipo on this one and I'll look further into this idea. I've been spending more time with my rigs on the workbench than on the rocks and it's starting to get me burned out on mods. I've got to get a little mud on the tires again.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
Fan of wheelspeed

Think I'm gonna dis-assemble this rig and try to build a full comp setup.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Think I'm gonna dis-assemble this rig and try to build a full comp setup.
yeah-i bet you done got it bout built-i've been seein what your lookin for and buyin-can't wait to see what you've come up with-PICS-lots of pics, keep us posted
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #76
Fan of wheelspeed

lmao, if you only knew. Its still not been touched. All that was for a shafty crawler in the venom section and a rebuild of the Cat.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #77
Rock Stacker

Can you tell me the measurements of the frame. i have the exact same c channels so im gonna copy you is that ok?
LoGaN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #78
Fan of wheelspeed

yeah, thats fine. Hell, pay the shipping and I'll send you mine, lol. I'll get the measurments tonight for ya bub. There are a few things I'd change though. The upper portion of the chassis is dead weight if you run lipo.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #79
Rock Stacker

Thanks alot man im a newbie so i need some help/tips on my scale frame
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #80
Rock Stacker

another Quick question is that some type of glue around the wheel shaft? thanks alot
LoGaN14