Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #801

Default Re: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
Yes, I bought mine in April and it came with a WP-1040, I run 3S. It has a jumper that switches between LiPo and NiMH, but I've never actually hit lipo-cut with it. Mine will run for a few hours on a 3300mah 3S. I'd recommend a ubec or a 25mm esc fan, especially if you go with 4WS.
Thanks man! That was quick...
Now, to figure out if those chassis pieces work or not.
I might just order some, and do my own Frankenstein... Lol
Beelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #802
RCC Addict

if you go with 3s it is highly suggested to use a bec to power the receiver.
try to get one with adjustable voltage so you an set the voltage up to around 7 volts.
be sure to check the specs for the servo you are using.

3300 mah is a hefty battery, for comparison, the comp guys use 600 or 800 mah lipos
and they last 20-30 minutes but they are mostly concerned with weight and placement.

I use 3000 mah nano-tech, it is a bit shorter than a nimh pack and about 2/3 the thickness

Beelzebub, nice shiny metal frame and other parts are very pretty. your words are you are just getting back and
there are a lot of ways to go. take it slow until you come to grips with what direction you want to go.
whether it is crawling or building a scalar, what kinds of terrain you want to play in, how fast you want to go.

most of us end up with more than one rig ( many more it seems haha). the Everest has the benefit of being a clone
so there are many options, that HG P401 is small - wheelbase is 10 - 11" x 8". it does look cute, just about
any spares will have to come from china even though some of the cars are available to be shipped from usa.
buying metal upgrades mostly accomplishes making the rig heavier and your wallet lighter.

wait until you see what is being done, look through build threads including axial sc10 and ax10, look at moas and
the full blown crawlers.

you will spend money, best wait until it will be worth it, not on cheap parts just to look shiny
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #803

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
if you go with 3s it is highly suggested to use a bec to power the receiver.
try to get one with adjustable voltage so you an set the voltage up to around 7 volts.
be sure to check the specs for the servo you are using.

3300 mah is a hefty battery, for comparison, the comp guys use 600 or 800 mah lipos
and they last 20-30 minutes but they are mostly concerned with weight and placement.

I use 3000 mah nano-tech, it is a bit shorter than a nimh pack and about 2/3 the thickness

Beelzebub, nice shiny metal frame and other parts are very pretty. your words are you are just getting back and
there are a lot of ways to go. take it slow until you come to grips with what direction you want to go.
whether it is crawling or building a scalar, what kinds of terrain you want to play in, how fast you want to go.

most of us end up with more than one rig ( many more it seems haha). the Everest has the benefit of being a clone
so there are many options, that HG P401 is small - wheelbase is 10 - 11" x 8". it does look cute, just about
any spares will have to come from china even though some of the cars are available to be shipped from usa.
buying metal upgrades mostly accomplishes making the rig heavier and your wallet lighter.

wait until you see what is being done, look through build threads including axial sc10 and ax10, look at moas and
the full blown crawlers.

you will spend money, best wait until it will be worth it, not on cheap parts just to look shiny
I'm not doing this for anyone but myself. I've already built an oval track racer recently, out of a 2wd slash using the castle creations SCT Sidewinder 1410 3800kv set, and other various upgrades, and didn't really have as much fun with that. I have more fun just running it in the back yard, or in the woods with my SC10B Buggy I just got. So, I figured I should get something to crawl around the woods with and be able to upgrade along the way, and not drop 300 to 400 right off the beginning. We will see how it goes. 😉👍
Old 06-23-2016, 05:09 AM   #804
RCC Addict

no offense meant
it is so easy to get wrapped up in upgrades that we can go overboard.
also some rigs are worth the extras some just the basics.

let us see what you do, pictures are always interesting
Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #805

Hey Hydrocarbon92 - that looks amazing! I love the 2w/4w steering.
Did you do the controller yourself, or is it a bought unit?
I would love to get me one...looks like a whole lot of fun!

The other vid is great... some mighty fine driving there (especially across the "rope" bridge). Very cool - got some good ideas for my back yard

Thanks
Terry
TerryInLeesburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
no offense meant
it is so easy to get wrapped up in upgrades that we can go overboard.
also some rigs are worth the extras some just the basics.

let us see what you do, pictures are always interesting
Absolutely. I will definitely post pics.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #807

Hey all;

Well, disappointing news. I mirrored the tranny (by removing the skidplate / motor / tranny as a unit, flipped it, and re-installed it.

Had to carve out some of the battery tray for gear clearance.

NO improvement :( Still wants to lift the wheel at full throttle. I added back in all of the shock spacers, and that helped a bit, but still not great. Sure wish there was a better solution.....anyone have one???

I upgraded to Rover white dot tires, and that was a mixed blessing. They are a lot more grippy, but that just exacerbates the torque roll. Going to go back to the stock tires for most of the driving, and keep these in reserve until I am going to do some serious crawling.

Also found another weak spot. :( When my 6-year-old was driving it, and went from full reverse to full forward (OUCH!) he actually twisted the pin inside one of the hex nuts for the wheel drive. I have ordered Aluminum ones now.

The crazy thing is, he has a really cheap crawler which is proving MUCH more robust, especially with his "bashing" driving style! If your kids are looking for a crawler, I would highly recommend this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Maisto-Craw...ds=3xl+crawler

You can get it on Amazon Warehouse deals for ~$35. I changed out the battery and added a 2 cell, 1Ah LiPo, makes it a bit faster, and lasts a lot longer. Link for battery below:

https://smile.amazon.com/Turnigy-100...words=2s++lipo

Later
Terry
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #808
RCC Addict

did you just spin the skid plate around?
or did you disassemble the tranny and change which side the motor is on?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #809

Just spun the skid plate around. I thought that would accomplish the same thing (putting the motor on the opposite side)??

As an additional benefit, the motor now runs "forward", and I can change the radio channel from Reverse (from the factory) to Forward so that should keep the ESC happier as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #810
RCC Addict

one thing first ... you can change the rotation of the motor by reversing the motor wires as well

the thing about mirroring the tranny is that the motor spins in the other way in respects to the tranny.
did you read post# 803?.
is the torque twist now towards the other side
something else that is interesting - if you flip the ring gear carriers over, and make the motor spin in the other direction
does the same as mirroring the tranny.

mirroring the tranny or flipping the ring gear on works to decrease torque twist because the drive train is not centered and in line
what we are doing is making the motor spin towards the inside and thus is trying to lift more weight

you see the torque twist because you are accelerating fast, a more normal take off will not show any noticeable twist.
the weight distribution and center of gravity are the things that help control the amount of twist.

with 4 wheel steering and same output of the esc in both forward and reverse, you see the twist in
one direction and not as much in the other. you can turn the body around and change rotation of motor
and twist is gone in the forward direction.

these are several ways to look at this, there are more.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #811

Will the ring and pinion from the e10 fit in the scx10 housing? All the rest of the internals are scx10 parts and I just broke a shock mount off.
Cweldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cweldy View Post
Will the ring and pinion from the e10 fit in the scx10 housing? All the rest of the internals are scx10 parts and I just broke a shock mount off.
Looks like the bearings are different sizes. Just ordered stock parts for now. I may eventually order the scx10 parts and see what it takes to put my parts in though.
Cweldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #813

Hey all;

Well another weekend, and another problem :(
My son's crawler (cheap Maisto) is doing better than I am!!

So, I snapped a driveshaft, and ordered steel ones. Got them, and installed them. They are round holes at the end, and held on by grub screws. They keep loosening, and falling off....as I drive!

So, I saw and bought these:

Xtra Speed Steel Center Universal Driveshaft Axial SCX10 EP 1 10 RC Car Crawler | eBay

These have pins that go through the shaft, and lock them into place.

So, I am sure you all see where this is going..... the pinion gears (and transmission shafts) do NOT have holes in them, and they are hardened steel! :( :(

Does anyone know of shafts that will work, but that DO have the holes drilled in them (like the AX10 shafts, but the correct diamater for us Redcat owners)?
OR
Does anyone have a recommendation for how to drill them? I tried with my "normal" bits, and could not make a dent in the (ended up snapping the bit).

I am getting very disolusioned with this thing.... it seems I cannopt get a good run out of it without something breaking, or falling off!

HELP!!!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #814
RCC Addict

did you not use thread lock on those grub screws?

you can use fingernail polish as well. anything to keep the screws from backing out.
not all trannys and diffs have the holes through them. so this is not a rare problem.

motor shafts do not have holes through them either.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #815

Built another redcat Frankenstein. This time with a Gmade R1 tube chassis. Used the redcat skid and trans with an axial 27t motor, also used the redcat battery tray. Had to slot 2 holes on the R1 chassis to mount the skid, then drill 2 holes in the redcat battery tray.
Bolted up the stock e10 upper and lower links with axles and shocks. All that was needed was a to make a few custom width cross braces. It all went together very well. The shocks are a little big diameter wise, thinking about swapping some scx10 diameter sized shocks in. The stock e10 links set the pinion angles just right, and this thing sits nice and low.

Bronco RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #816

I think that this crawler of mine must be cursed!
Now the transmission is slipping like crazy and the gears I think are stripped.
So my question is does anybody know of a really good bulletproof transmission for this thing that doesn't cost a fortune?
Is the transmission more like an SCX10 or an ax10 so I can look up options.
Thanks

Last edited by TerryInLeesburg; 07-07-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #817
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryInLeesburg View Post
I think that this crawler of Mind must be cursed!
Now the transmission is slipping like crazy and the gears I think are stripped.
So my question is does anybody know of a really good bulletproof transmission for this thing that doesn't cost a fortune?
Is the transmission more like an SCX10 or an ax10 so I can look up options.
Thanks
Hi Terry. The trans in these is very similar to the scx10. 2 of the mounting holes are the same 2 are narrower/closer together on the scx10. You can simply slot the holes on the e10 skid and fit an scx10 trans. Then for about $20 you can buy a complete metal gear set for them. That being said I've been using (or my 5yr old has) the stock trans for 2+ years. Are you sure it's the trans? Have you pulled it apart?
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #818

Yes, it is the trans. I can hold the spur gear, and the wheels and it just spins / clatters.

Just bought this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A228JGPAURUQ8I

And....

My steering servo died! Got too hot I guess? :( Replaced it with a high torque, metal geared one.

And...

My rims cracked where they mount to the hex hubs. In fact, one hex hub had completely destroyed the mounting "hole" in the rim. :(

Bought these alloy ones:
4pcs 2 2" Aluminum Wheel Rims 1 10 Beadlock for RC Car Crawler Wraith CC01 RC4WD | eBay

There is not going to be much of the original left....
Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #819

While I am upgrading this ...thing.
Will these fit the redcat internals?
Xtra Speed Steel Alloy Front Rear Axle Housing Axial SCX10 RC Car XS SCX22142BK | eBay

Thanks

Last edited by TerryInLeesburg; 07-07-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #820
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryInLeesburg View Post
While I am upgrading this ...thing.
Will these fit the redcat internals?
Xtra Speed Steel Alloy Front Rear Axle Housing Axial SCX10 RC Car XS SCX22142BK | eBay

Thanks
You've been very unlucky. I'm guessing it flogged out the hex because the wheel nut was loose. I never had any of these issues with mine. Infact the original servo still runs. I sold the wheels to a mate and they are still going strong. As for gears I don't think scx10 gears will fit. But to be honest I don't think it has been tried. It's something I've been wanting to test but haven't yet as it's my son's rig and it's currently working.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
New redcat racing Everest-10 terrywolfpack General Crawlers 7 11-15-2015 08:40 AM
deeper offset rims!!!! minicrawlerguy530 Tires and Wheels 22 10-15-2014 06:55 PM