Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8/Axe Steering/Suspension flaws, some solutions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gen 8/Axe Steering/Suspension flaws, some solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Waiting for the Bowhouse RC Pan Hard Relocation link to arrive. Its been stuck in Detroits usps hub for almost 2 weeks now.

In the meantime, I ordered the Treal Chubs and the F&R Portal housings. Add some low weight, even it out with the rear inners, and strengthen the Knuckle steering arm as well. These were out of stock came in, ordered and were shipped and arrived via USPS/Amazon with in 7 days. lol USPS Sucks hind teet.

Once the Bowhouse relocation mount arrives, I'll start digging back into the pan hard issue and figure out what can be done from there.

Fwiw, I did read pretty much all the old threads on this issue. Just never seen a real solution, just small bandaids that will do fine in scratch issues, but wont do much for bullet holes. One suture at a time. Still may end up with a major reconstruction surgery to really solve the problem presented.

So I got mine installed on the chassis. It drops it down nice but doesn’t push it far enough away from the chassis rail as ide like. And now the panhard bar has some yaw to it. At stock wheelbase. It’s just “mocked” right now as I wait for new portal housings. Trucks been dead for to long now :( I’m sure I will get it to work by changin link positions though. Again idk I can’t even test bump steer right now lol. I had it near perfect with the club 5 kit and a no name servo horn. I also just have a burning desire to glue some metal together hehe... I’m just getting a grasp of fusion 360 but I plan on modeling up an entire new front clip I can make out of steel and braze up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #42
RCC Addict

That sounds like a hella project worth is weight in gold. lol

When I was looking at it earlier, prior ot knowing of the bowhouse mount, I figured the frame mount needed to be lowered, and moved forward. Not too sure how the bowhouse piece mounts. but I may look at moving it forward if it can help correct things.
One thing I could tell right off the bat, is once relocated to a more correct location, a new pan hard bar would need to be fabbed to function correctly.

I think a well designed pan hard bar, and a relocated chassis mount, could correct the majority of the flaws in the stock design.
Off the top of my head, I can see a unique s curved pan hard bar helping much.
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Gen 8/Axe Steering/Suspension flaws, some solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
That sounds like a hella project worth is weight in gold. lol

When I was looking at it earlier, prior ot knowing of the bowhouse mount, I figured the frame mount needed to be lowered, and moved forward. Not too sure how the bowhouse piece mounts. but I may look at moving it forward if it can help correct things.
One thing I could tell right off the bat, is once relocated to a more correct location, a new pan hard bar would need to be fabbed to function correctly.

I think a well designed pan hard bar, and a relocated chassis mount, could correct the majority of the flaws in the stock design.
Off the top of my head, I can see a unique s curved pan hard bar helping much.

You can have a panhard bar shaped however which way you want and you’ll still get the side to side shift. As the angle between the two pivot points stays the same... doesn’t matter. It drops it nice but I don’t like pushing the panhard extra 1/4in or more forward on the chassis rail. Fusion 360 is amazing lol it’s so simple and intuitive. I’ve got years of experience on Various high end cam suites so I’ve got a pretty good grasp on the geometric side it’s just learning how to control the software . But it really is as simple as taking a napkin drawing and turning it into a 3D model. I’ve modeled the scout 2 body and frame rails today albeit crude in about 6hrs

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBlu...&feature=share

the best video on three link geometry. Ian hits all the points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 07-21-2020 at 09:32 PM.
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

there is a way to completely eliminate axle swing and bump steer just take the panhard bar off toss it add another upper link the same size as the other upper link and mount the servo on the axle
damb im good i just designed that my self in cad yesterday lol
ill call it a 4 link set up lol
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
there is a way to completely eliminate axle swing and bump steer just take the panhard bar off toss it add another upper link the same size as the other upper link and mount the servo on the axle
damb im good i just designed that my self in cad yesterday lol
ill call it a 4 link set up lol
Genius!
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8/Axe Steering/Suspension flaws, some solutions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help: Gen 8 axe axl steering link issues BLACKAXEE Redcat Crawlers 9 06-30-2020 03:52 PM
Gen 8 AXE Brass Scolionophobia Redcat Crawlers 6 05-04-2020 10:04 AM
red cat gen 8 axe foams slgen8 Redcat Crawlers 4 04-06-2020 11:45 AM
Gen 8 axe Sflo Redcat Crawlers 2 12-29-2019 12:52 AM
Redcat Gen 8 AXE Edition Details driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 12-02-2019 07:33 PM