Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

Well owning a e10 since Christmas,only major mods have been the axial lockers, rpp limiting straps,17 tooth pinion,3 cell lipo, an rc4wd 2.2 irocs on wraith wheels , other than that still stock, for the money ,couple upgrades ,its a great all round anyone can run truck, no complaints here.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock1 View Post
I can vouch and say so far yes they are water proof
i posted earlier and for some reason it never when through

i second that. so far mine has ended up under water quite a few times and nothing has gotten into my esc or the servo. dont know how long that will hold out but so far its good. the receiver on the other hand is billed as splash proof and mine has been fully submerged and is holding up.
rickyt11010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

soon gonna have to pull the trigger on n e10 or scx10.
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Well owning a e10 since Christmas,only major mods have been the axial lockers, rpp limiting straps,17 tooth pinion,3 cell lipo, an rc4wd 2.2 irocs on wraith wheels , other than that still stock, for the money ,couple upgrades ,its a great all round anyone can run truck, no complaints here.
So you run the stock esc on 3s?do you have an external bec?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

I noticed in the maxstone10 thread he used
Hot Racing Axial AX10 Scorpion SCX10 steel cvd driveshafts SSCX288.

any reason why they wouldn't work here?, or even ax10 universals?
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCon View Post
soon gonna have to pull the trigger on n e10 or scx10.
Just keep in mind the Everest 10 is more like an AX10 than the SCX10. The SCX10 is more scale, the AX10/E10 is more crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCon View Post
I noticed in the maxstone10 thread he used
Hot Racing Axial AX10 Scorpion SCX10 steel cvd driveshafts SSCX288.

any reason why they wouldn't work here?, or even ax10 universals?
In THEORY you should only need to modify the ends of the axle dogbones to fit into the appropriate locker. I say theory because I don't know for sure that those HR parts need any modification to fit an Axial vehicle or not. I've got STRC carbon universals to try it with, but not ready for that yet.
TakeOffYouHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #87

After being out of the RC game for a long time...... ( my last vehicle was a Traxxas Blue Eagle LS....which I still have) I decided to get back to RCs, and got my 7 yr old son a Redcat Everest 10 for Christmas.

Its been a great truck and vey pleased with it. Haven't done any mods yet, but seemed very capable out of the box and we have been enjoying it so much, that I will likely buy another Everest, so we both have our own crawlers...

Would love to see Traxxas come out with a dedicated crawler...., as traxxas has such nostalgia for me........

Last edited by ramp1516; 01-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.
ramp1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
So you run the stock esc on 3s?do you have an external bec?
Yea runnin stock esc on 3 cell ,stock servo also,no external bec, has been runnin just fine, no issues,no glitch twitch or heat, oh yea stock motor too.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Looking at the images and comparing it to my MaxStone 10 there are some key differences.

First thing I Notice is the lack of guards on the axles. This is actually a good thing cause they do nothing but get the truck hung on rocks and stocks. Most people take those off and throw them away. I cut mine up and repurposed the plastic and mounting screws to make a brace for the rear axle link mount. For the rear lockouts they used two turnbuckles and the tie bar. The MaxStone only comes with one turnbuckle and the tie bar. I'd remove the tie bar and flip the knuckles to give you a little extra clearance in the back. With my MaxStone I took the tie bar apart and repurposed the end links and and threaded rod to make a second lockout. You won't need to do that with the Redcat since it comes with two turnbuckles. I like the battery and electronics tray design much better than the Maxstone's.

Couple of things I like better about the MaxStone design. I don't like the curved upper links in the Redcat. A popular place to mount the battery is on the front upper links and that makes it more difficult to do. Not a lot of area between the links to make a mounting plate. Probably the biggest negative I see in the Redcat version is that the chassis is missing the upper aluminum braces found at the upper shock mount front and rear. Without those you just have the plastic skid plate and upper plastic tray to keep the chassis from flexing. That's going to cause more work if you ever remove the electronics tray like a lot of people do. In my MaxStone those add a lot of chassis rigidity.

DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Yea runnin stock esc on 3 cell ,stock servo also,no external bec, has been runnin just fine, no issues,no glitch twitch or heat, oh yea stock motor too.
Sweet! Let us know if you have any problems with that setup in the future. I'd probably run a bec if it was me but to each his own.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Sweet! Let us know if you have any problems with that setup in the future. I'd probably run a bec if it was me but to each his own.
Sure will keep updates , hittin trails this sunday with the local group,only redcat in the bunch
Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Would love to see more pics/videos from folks in this thread that currently own/operate the E10!

Thanks
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp1516 View Post
Would love to see Traxxas come out with a dedicated crawler...., as traxxas has such nostalgia for me........
Me to..I don't understand why they haven't already. Traxxas / LaTrax has spun off in several directions...ie. quadcopters, helis, boats ect.

Must be a reason..I guess thats why I'm not in marketing or R&D! No, I don't work for Traxxas...I'm just sayin'
Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post
Would love to see more pics/videos from folks in this thread that currently own/operate the E10!

Thanks
Once I get a pair of rear axles to upgrade my Scx10 i'll do an axle dogbone swap thread. Might just start it as a build thread for this truck come to think of it.

Anyways, look for something here this weekend if you can wait that long.

Will take a stab at video on YouTube with my digicam.

p.s. - if you have any pic/vid requests ... ?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
Looking at the images and comparing it to my MaxStone 10 there are some key differences.

First thing I Notice is the lack of guards on the axles. This is actually a good thing cause they do nothing but get the truck hung on rocks and stocks. Most people take those off and throw them away. I cut mine up and repurposed the plastic and mounting screws to make a brace for the rear axle link mount. For the rear lockouts they used two turnbuckles and the tie bar. The MaxStone only comes with one turnbuckle and the tie bar. I'd remove the tie bar and flip the knuckles to give you a little extra clearance in the back. With my MaxStone I took the tie bar apart and repurposed the end links and and threaded rod to make a second lockout. You won't need to do that with the Redcat since it comes with two turnbuckles. I like the battery and electronics tray design much better than the Maxstone's.

Couple of things I like better about the MaxStone design. I don't like the curved upper links in the Redcat. A popular place to mount the battery is on the front upper links and that makes it more difficult to do. Not a lot of area between the links to make a mounting plate. Probably the biggest negative I see in the Redcat version is that the chassis is missing the upper aluminum braces found at the upper shock mount front and rear. Without those you just have the plastic skid plate and upper plastic tray to keep the chassis from flexing. That's going to cause more work if you ever remove the electronics tray like a lot of people do. In my MaxStone those add a lot of chassis rigidity.

Those braces are easy fix and Install. I did it to my MRC when I had it and outboarded the tops of the shocks too which helped with TT. I have plans already of how I want to do to my e10s and I haven't bought them yet. The things I learned in building my Mrc I think will help the e10 out but so know till it happens.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #96
RCC Addict

I haven't really heard much talk about the shocks yet. In my wish list of parts to buy along with the e10 I was thinking some aluminum threaded shocks would be a nice addition since most I have seen come with pistons with different valving. Ones I was looking at were some for a wrath just dont know if the lenght would be right. Then some limiters in and mini t springs should be golden. Right?
Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I haven't really heard much talk about the shocks yet. In my wish list of parts to buy along with the e10 I was thinking some aluminum threaded shocks would be a nice addition since most I have seen come with pistons with different valving. Ones I was looking at were some for a wrath just dont know if the lenght would be right. Then some limiters in and mini t springs should be golden. Right?
Mmmmmm, yeahkindasortaright.

I'm working on something similar. Won't say what quite yet, but I promise very soon. I'm in the middle of working on a bunch of things between my E10 and SCX10 G6 Falken and want to get a few more bugs worked out before I post stuff. I don't want to post something that doesn't have a resolve.

That being said, if I may point out a couple of details of your plan above ...

- threaded shocks = okay, go for it, but if you're buying them to have adjustability on the spring rate you're wasting your money *IF* you want to run Mini-T springs. The Mini-T springs won't ride on the threaded adjuster on the shock. ..... EDIT - my bad, there are some shocks that will work

- threaded shocks - okay, go for it, but if you're buying them for adjustable damping i'd say give the stock units a try first with different weight oil. At least you can get an idea of what you might be after then. Heavier oil doesn't leak (as much).

Now, if you're DYING TO SPEND MONEY and make your truck look cool then please don't listen to me.

If you can wait just a few more days i'm hoping to post what i'm working on this weekend (which, incidentally, will make me look like a big hypocrite because the shocks i'm using are threaded aluminum *shrug* I promise the threading is simply a side-effect of the "sheer and utter brilliance" of my finding ).

Ultimately, yes, upgrading the shocks isn't a bad idea, but there is a method and reasoning behind my madness. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited by TakeOffYouHoser; 01-16-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Im just going with what I learned building my mrc. Which I should have a e10 in front of me and run it first before I try and improve on something I dont know. On the mrc the rtr shocks sucked getting the upgraded shocks helped tons with running different valved pistons and yes a heavier wt oil. They were also threaded. I used the treaded collar as an adjuster to run different size springs as in the ones that came with the shocks and mini t's. I guess I'll sit back with some popcorn and see what comes next for now till I get my hands one.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post

Thanks

rickyt11010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyt11010 View Post

Looks good!

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
New redcat racing Everest-10 terrywolfpack General Crawlers 7 11-15-2015 08:40 AM
deeper offset rims!!!! minicrawlerguy530 Tires and Wheels 22 10-15-2014 06:55 PM