Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Nationals

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we keep or remove the winching addition?
Keep 9 40.91%
Remove 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: 2015 Winching Rule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default 2015 Winching Rule

This poll is for participants of the coming event. Must have at least 20 participants for this poll to be valid. And we will stand behind whichever side of the poll wins.

This poll will keep this for the event or remove it.

"- You will be allowed to hold your vehicle while pulling out your winch, but you must announce "winching" you can then hold your vehicle until you hook your winch up to the winch object. Once the line is taught, you must release your vehicle. Failure to follow this rule will result in a Reposition."
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2015 Winching Rule

The winch is attached to the vehicle. I have a free pool winch. So the whole time ( few seconds) I am free spooling technically I am holding the vehicle.

when you are letting the winch line out without a free spool you can hold the truck just by the tension of the line.

Once the line is hooked yea let go. But my class 2 has a switch on the truck rather than a remote.

So i guess I am missing the point to this pole? Where is the issue? Are people holding the truck with their hand the whole time winching?

Sorry just need more explanation.

Thanks
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #3

This is all in reference to this: Rules for 2015
Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yea I read that, thanks. For some reason I still am not seeing the problem but I was not at said events.. No big deal. I am fine with either way really. I prefer a no touch format. It takes more skill. I guess I never had that particular issue before?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #5

Touch is ok by me. Safer that way you won't have people getting hurt trying to keep there footing , jugel a radio while spooling out a winch,getting it hooked to another rig/ pull pall.
Just my 2 cebts
Ammon johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I say touch is ok when placing the winch line, we are gonna be on some very treacherous terrain and the last thing we need is for someone to get hurt at our event and then we cant use our spot anymore. If you dont care about your own safety or the safety of others then dont touch your rig. People spend hundreds of dollars to enter and thousands on their rigs, but I dont think they want to spend that much on medical bills.
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The problem is when the touching begins. People are using the rule to their advantage and calling a winch while the truck is still in motion. Basically saving the truck from a roll over. I see the good intention in the rule, but it creates a huge grey area. Interpretation of the rule between judges and drivers are different on every course. Its not that hard to take a reverse and park your truck on a safe resting place long enough to set up your winch, or think ahead and hook it up before your in trouble! After all driving skill is one of the main aspects of the competition.
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Scale competition is kinda like chess...you got to think ahead and know your limits, before it's to late and your on your lid or falling off the rocks. Drive smart ! Have fun! Don't fall of the terrain...especially at Red Rocks! You'll ruin your weekend.
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you touch your truck to stop it from rolling over its a repo Whether winching is called or not.

it takes me two hands to remove the cable from my truck. So my truck has to be at a stoping point Before I winch.

Sounds to me like there has been a judging issue?

Last edited by holycaveman; 02-09-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I can see the point of the suggested winching addition as well as the gray area, I said to remove it. I think it would put added pressure on the judges to have to deal with it.

Thanks for posting it up for discussion.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I can see the point of the suggested winching addition as well as the gray area, I said to remove it. I think it would put added pressure on the judges to have to deal with it.

Thanks for posting it up for discussion.
Same reason I voted to remove it.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering

Remove.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 02-09-2015 at 10:22 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Yea I voted to remove it. The more skill involved the better I like it.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #14

keep it
99chevy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I think it's up to the judge to determine if it was out of line, and call out the driver if they think it's being abused. Rather than scrapping it.
madscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscrambler View Post
I think it's up to the judge to determine if it was out of line, and call out the driver if they think it's being abused. Rather than scrapping it.
Its just one more thing for a judge to have to try and keep an eye on and could get ugly if someone thinks a judge was more lenient with one driver verses another. I just don't think its necessary.
Secondly I feel at this level of competition a driver ought to know where to position his or her rig before pulling winch.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #17

One of the points of this rule though was to access more terrain at this location. There are some steep areas that this rule would allow us to use. Without this rule there is no way a rig could hold itself in place. And the driver will be keeping a hand on the trigger and the wheel or the rig will be tumbling down the hill. Of course we don't have to use these spots and won't if this rule doesn't stay in place, its just kind of a bummer.

Also judges will not be allowed to assist the driver in anyway, no grabbing the hook, holding a winch point, etc. There job will be to judge and keep time, thats it.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
One of the points of this rule though was to access more terrain at this location. There are some steep areas that this rule would allow us to use. Without this rule there is no way a rig could hold itself in place. And the driver will be keeping a hand on the trigger and the wheel or the rig will be tumbling down the hill. Of course we don't have to use these spots and won't if this rule doesn't stay in place, its just kind of a bummer.

Also judges will not be allowed to assist the driver in anyway, no grabbing the hook, holding a winch point, etc. There job will be to judge and keep time, thats it.
To bad there's no finals courses this year! Id love to give it a try! If I can't do it without holding my rig in place, I'll buy you a beer!
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I figured as much.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like there might be a safety issue even without the winching rule.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 Winching Rule - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winching Straffa Videos! 0 10-10-2013 01:31 PM
DX-6 and winching 666 Electronics 8 09-24-2012 06:01 PM