Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Videos!

Notices

Thread: 4WheelRC's SCX10 build: 'Project Lighting'.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4WheelRC's SCX10 build: 'Project Lighting'.

Cool. Just FYI, if you copy the embed code from youtube and paste it in the post, it will show up like this

Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Cool. Just FYI, if you copy the embed code from youtube and paste it in the post, it will show up like this
Hey Crawl Space, many thanks for the tip. I'll go edit my other posts and 'upgrade them'
4WheelRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Floorpan is done (video to follow soon). Yay!

Final fit of electrics is done (video to follow after the above). Yay!

Just fried my ESC following a submersion test. Boo! I'll share the embarrassment in a future video ... Serves me right for assuming Novak put all the sensitive bits of the Timbuk2 ESC inside the sealed part of the ESC (which they don't), DOH!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Update video for y'all, hope it is useful (part 2 on the way soon)

Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

More build progress ...

Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

This section of my build is about to get more than a little wet! Disclaimer: Please read the description on the following video and don't put your RC model into water unless you are 100% sure it is prepared for it - I fried an ESC in the making this section of my build

Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

While the Plastidip is drying for the rest of the waterproofing and the liquid mask is drying on the bodyshell...

Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc147 View Post
lookin' good
Thanks dude, lots of loveliness coming up as the bodyshell is nearly finished
Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

That's all fine and dandy, but aren't you worried about strider escaping, stealing your rig again and some how turning all your hard work against you? Just sayin'
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Last proofing & wiring steps before we submerge the SCX10 Rubicon (coming in the next video):

And now the culmination of weeks of wiring and waterproofing, but it does not quite go to plan...

[Drum roll!]

Last edited by 4WheelRC; 11-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Imagine "The Final Countdown" music in the background ... Windscreen & roof trimming sorted - Lets have a play with liquid mask:

Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Finally, fiiinaaally I have the bodyshell painted Sorry it took so long to get the video done after the liquid mask one, but I have been busy wiring the LED lights (video to follow soon). I hope y'all find the video useful...

Old 01-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Hey folks, been on a break for Xmas and the New Year, but back to video editing now - Hope to have a number of build updates uploaded soon as I have gotten behind. FYI I have run the Rubicon a couple of times now:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/uploads/...250_312754.jpg

It is running well overall, but needs a lot of work on the suspension: When the front suspension is at 'normal' deflection (in the middle) everything works fine i.e. not fully extended or compressed; the drag link length is tuned for that. But if I let the suspension drop to full extension (both sides) by lifting the wheels off the ground, it pulls the servo horn (when not switched on) and steers to the right (chassis mounted servo). But with the weight of my truck (9.5lb - 2 batteries and lots of accessories on the chassis & bodyshell) the suspension never extends this much when running, so it not a problem. If the front suspension is fully compressed there is a little steer to the left (maybe 20%), but the servo can fight that and keep the wheels pointed where they should be.

Tbh it'd be a lot easier to get consistent steering action over all suspension deflections with the servo back on the axle, but 1) I don't like that because of looks & servo battering and 2) Most of my running is trailing, with a little 'technical' woodland stuff, so I rarely need extreme flex.

But now I have begun to run the rig on rough terrain & slopes (videos to follow when I get time) I realised the shocks needed a LOT of preloading to stop the body flopping over to the left due to torque twist or when driving down/across a slope (1st gated competition I ran in I was rolling over loads :-( )... The stock Axial shock springs, even at full preload couldn't hold the chassis, so I have upgraded to GMade Piggybacks (video to follow). But lots of preloading increased the suspension extension (ride height increased) slightly, which messed up the 'sweet spot' for the panhard... so I raised the drag link another 2mm (with spacers), it seems to be okay so far. I am amazed how just 2mm on either the height of the drag bar's pickup to the main steering link, or its length (+ or -) can make a huge difference to the steering - It sure takes a while to dial it in.

I am also planning on trying different foam set-ups as (due to the weight of my truck) I get a lot of tyre sidewall rollover when going down slopes and having to steer across the slope to get to a gate (Crawler Innovation's Double Deuce foams on order).

I am planning on doing a video to cover all of this 'post build tweaking' and expect it will be a few more months of running & tuning before I have it sorted (I start a monthly scale competition here in the UK in late January). If you have any tips on the above please let me know as I am solving all this as I go!

Last edited by 4WheelRC; 01-03-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Happy New Year folks!

If you are fairly new to my YouTube channel then before you watch the video below, I recommend you watch the first 4 videos in my Rubicon build playlist, otherwise you may watch this and be left more than a bit confused! ...

Back to the technical build updates next time, when we get the LED lighting installed, then we are nearly ready for the first run!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Jeeeerrrrryyyyy!

So are you comping now with the JK? Some extreme terrain footage would be awesome when you get time.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Jeeeerrrrryyyyy!

So are you comping now with the JK? Some extreme terrain footage would be awesome when you get time.
Hey Crawl Space Trailing videos are in the works; hopefully in a week or so. I start comping with the London Scale Trail Runners ('LSTR') at the end of January - Let the rollovers commence!

Last edited by 4WheelRC; 01-03-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

A little teaser of trailing videos to come while I finish editing the last few build videos...

Last edited by 4WheelRC; 01-13-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

WARNING: Technical overload ahead! I have solved the radio gear problem that was preventing the 3Racing LED Controller working properly with my 6 channel radio system: Switched to a Turnigy 9XR transmitter (with OrangeRX DSM2 module) and an OrangeRX R620 receiver - They work at a 'frame rate' of 11ms, which is within the LED controller's 5 - 20ms range...

Next part of the build series coming soon, where we cover wiring the custom LED lights into the Rubicon's bodyshell.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Bodyshell lighting is done at last!

& then...

Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Just wanted to let y'all know that I'm still working on this, but have been busy with 'stuff'. I need to get my scale accessories video edited (last in the series before some running videos!), which I hope to do in the next week.

Tags
build, lotr, minion, scx10, strider

4WheelRC's SCX10 build: 'Project Lighting'. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Scx10 Jeep Lighting SmokeScx10 Videos! 0 09-01-2013 09:13 PM
New scx10, new project. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 4 12-01-2012 11:48 PM
Scx10 Project Hypn0t1q79 Axial SCX-10 13 04-29-2012 02:13 AM
SCX10 Hilux lighting demo Supergreg Axial SCX-10 14 05-08-2010 11:45 PM