Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2010 Super Bully, Colorado style.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Awesome, love seeing these super builds!
Thanks Jason. You started this. I was reading your thread in the General section and desided that I could build a new Super too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
What's your overall width?
Out side of hex to hex is 11 3/4", Over all with tires is 15 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post

Keep the Super Class Builds Coming...

Screw 2.2... Everyone runs 2.2....

Amen to that brother .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I am going to be working on getting better steering. We all know that the XVDs are capable of just under 50deg. I will grind down the knuckles and tubes a little later. I am going to have to come up with something a little different for my links in order take advantage the extra steering. The tires already hit the links with stock steering.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Well, before I am able to start making the Delrin links, I am going to work on more steering.

Notes:
Make sure to remove the bearing from the knuckles and tubes before grinding. This way you don’t ruin your new bearing.

I would take some close up pictures, by my phone doesn’t like to do close ups.

I used this post by Racer4Life to help out my steering. But I think the first time I saw this was in a post by TURBOFEST, in the general section if remember correctly. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219911

The first thing I did was to remove the knuckles and check where the XVD was hitting the tube. Then I checked to see how much material I would need to remove.

I then removed the tubes from the gear case and marked where I wanted to remove the material from.

This is how much material I removed. You can see the uncut side in the back.

After grinding on the tube, you can see the difference in angle, Kinda. It is hard to see in this picture, and I don’t have a fancy gauge to put it on. But you get the idea.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I decided to document a little bit of when I checked my cases before I put the tubes back on. I took the case halves apart and here you can see the size of the gears. WOW.

I noticed that when I took apart the case and tubs, that all the screws were just snug. So when I put them back together I used just a drop of blue thread lock. This way I don’t have to worry about checking all the screws at every comp.

Now it is time to put everything back together and check to see if anything was hitting.
Well, after I put one case back together, I tried to spin the axle shaft, and it was bound up tight. I went back and checked every screw. I found the one that was causing the problem. Here it is.

I found a washer that would fit and this way it would keep the screw from hitting the gear in the case. I will take it back off and grind down the screw latter.

During the reassemble process, I found one of the threaded holes on the other side of the case was stripped out. This kind of sucks…. Not sure what to do about this one.

So for now, I will continue on and think about getting the lighter case and putting it on the rear. I did email RC4WD about the stripped case half, and I will be waiting on a reply. If I get one. I have not received a reply on any of my other emails yet.:?

Last edited by 70duncan; 01-15-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Looking good man. Only thing you might try is running equal length uppers and lowers, it really seems to drive a little smoother that way. I'm jealous of that wheel/tire/foam combo, it's on my wish list for this summer.
Wrecker, thats a nice looking chassis you may have to send one out here
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Casey.

I will be running the equal lenth links, just using these for mock up

Thanks for the info.

I sure do like this tire combo. Now I just need to get theme out on the rocks
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Now, to get back on track. I put on the knuckles to check for clearance issues. I didn’t take any pictures of this, because they didn’t show what I could see. So I will just have to show you what it looked like when I get done clearancing the knuckles.

I am not sure how in the hell I am going to use all this steering. This might take me a while to figure out. I moved the links to the inside position for now. I will have to see how I like them there.

I wasn’t quite sure about the width of these axles, and I was second guessing my decision on buying the wide axles versus the medium Bullys. But now after I have put together, I like the width. My Hustler was this same width, but had to have wheel extensions to make every thing work. I really loved how it side hilled because of the width. So, now I am back at the same width only now I have lot more steering angle and what better steering geometry which will give me more torque to the wheels.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Sweet steering, looks as good to me as the hybrid berg axles.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
[HOONIGAN]

Wow, that steering is insane!!!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

holy monkey
that looks like more than when i saw it
rtousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Surely you don't need that much steering! The last I checked the courses weren't 4'x4'.Looking good Mr. Duncan.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Nice to see beefy gears in those cases, I've been a little suspect of RC4WD's stuff since seeing the early R2's gear problems. Doesn't look like an issue now. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

The gears are the same ones that are in the 2.2 bully's. Nothing new there. Like the build and am looking foward to seeing your solution to the tires hitting the links.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, I sure do like how much steering I got out of it. The only problem with doing this for the first time, is that I kept grinding untill there the knuckles no longer touched the axle tube. THis makes all the force from a fall go right on to the XVDs. Which could make them break.

So, I just got my 2.2 Bully axles ( Thanks TATTOOKENNY ) and I will use those knuckles to replace the front knuckles on my super and I won't grind them so much. I want to leave just a litte bit of material there to help take some of the abuse.

And YES, I DO NEED THAT MUCH STEERING
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Nice to see beefy gears in those cases, I've been a little suspect of RC4WD's stuff since seeing the early R2's gear problems. Doesn't look like an issue now. Keep us posted on how they hold up.

I have been a little leary of RC4WD gears also for a while. The R2 gears are just junk in my opinion. I do have a V2 tranny that I used in my first crawler, and it has help up great. So, I figgured I would give the Bullys a try. And I think they did a great job on them.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Could ya' get the picks posted of the second chance knuck's so I can see what I need to do?:? Can't wait to actually see this in action.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhknives View Post
Could ya' get the picks posted of the second chance knuck's so I can see what I need to do?:? Can't wait to actually see this in action.

You bet. It will take a day or two. I am up at work now, and I will try to get them done tonight. If you want, we can get together on your next days off if you would like to see them in person.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #38
Got Worms?

Thats a nice looking rig james, that steering looks insane, could that same process give the 2.2 bully's the same throw
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
You bet. It will take a day or two. I am up at work now, and I will try to get them done tonight. If you want, we can get together on your next days off if you would like to see them in person.
I hate how work always seems to get in the way! Well it's makes me feel better to know you're probably cold as hell too.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #40
[HOONIGAN]

James,
This looks awesome. After watching Mica's Bully axled super on Sunday, I'm impressed. I'm thinking about ordering a set. Keep up the good work.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote