Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: question about super crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Default question about super crawler

Hi everyone you guy don't talk much about the redcat super crawler is it junk or what. I have a chance to buy a redcat rockslide super crawler for a $100 new in the box was a display model, Thought I would make a scale crawler, I have a redcat rs10 crawler been a great back yard crawler and just over all fun. and where can I get good tire's for the super crawler and, so should I buy it.
1980chevycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: question about super crawler

Welcome.

There are a couple new Redcat threads here, with competent builders developing them. At that price, I'd have to give it a try.

As to junk:

How do you rate something? If you look at the leading edge crawlers here, and total all the unmodified OEM parts left in it... they are all junk at first.

The fact that a person's leftover pile cost 10 times what yours did does not make it worth a nickel more to anyone.

Don't listen to that crap. Have some fun. Subscribed.

Last edited by ekd; 03-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

I agree with ekd - the first time you crawl over a 12" diameter fallen tree in your back yard with a super without getting high centered on the top, you realize how much fun they are compared to a 2.2 or smaller rig. I bought mine about two years a go and have just started modifying it (albeit pretty extensively), but just to see how much I can improve it without breaking it . As long as you are not planning on comping it, you can't beat the fun per $ ratio for the price you got. Go for it
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

Oh, you asked about tires, too. I'm not an expert in this area and there are plenty of threads on tire and wheel mods, but here's my 2 cents worth: Most people narrow their rims to reduce the scrub factor during turns (friction from the outside of the tire moving in a larger arc than the inside) as well as to increase the pressure per unit area at the surface contact patch of the tire. The problem with the RC Supers is that the pivot point of the C's is not in the center of the wheel - it's just about under the inside sidewall. Since the wheel mounts to the axle with the outside rim, narrowing the tire won't help scrub much (the outside arc stays the same but you want to move it closer to the C pivot to reduce scrub).

There is another reason to narrow the tires (and I'm seriously considering doing it on mine) and that is to pull the beadlocks farther in towards the center of the tire to increase the sidewall grip without scratching up the beadlocks. This will also slightly increase the diameter of the tire, giving you a tad more ground clearance. The stock tires are pretty grippy rubber and just need some dremel or diagonal cutter work to increase the number of edges by cutting small segments (~1/8" wide) from the ridges.
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote

question about super crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
super super slow speed question. srkhahou Newbie General 14 03-12-2011 02:05 PM
New To The Super Scene. Got A Question JUSTBRINGIT Tamiya Clod Buster 23 12-06-2008 04:21 PM
Clod based crawler novak super duty question fwd4g63 Electronics 9 01-10-2007 04:26 PM