Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: my clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default my clod

i saw an original clod buster at the lhs several months ago which caught my attention. i found myself going to it just to see if it was there.

needless to say i ended up bringing it home. the truck was $150 without radio. it had a body on it but i gave it away because i didnt like it. it was a lavender chevy nomad style body which didnt look right to me. the guy said it was all original, so the truck itself is older than me, im 22. its also covered in dirt! right now the plan is to rebuild it and update the electronics with out spending a ton of money in it.

this is my first MOA anything and honestly i know little to nothing about it.

heres a pic of it shoved in the case that had all of the used rcs that were for sale.

thats the only pic i have of it at the moment.

any input, good or bad is welcome!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: my clod

good score I love my clods , they are fairly easy to work on , have fun with it
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

i took some pics of it.

revtech vectra sport motors

mechanical speed control with servo?

futaba r152je rx for a 2 channel tx.

heres the body mounts. im guessing they are not stock.

future body for this. its an original clod body that was being used on a 1.5 scaler. but it will be used on this instead. it has a cowl on it by hoosierdady. im doing most of the finishing work, but will have hoosierdaddy do the custom pieces.

the truck itself

questions, comments or tips would be great.

Last edited by c0bra; 12-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What are you looking to do with it ultimately? Clods can be used to build about anything you want. We did create an ABC guide on how to build up a Clodbuster racer/basher if that's a route you wanted to take.

There's also this sticky here on building a crawler, although a lot of the companies listed are no longer: How to build a Clodbuster Rock Crawler

Either way have fun with the truck. They are a blast to drive!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
What are you looking to do with it ultimately? Clods can be used to build about anything you want. We did create an ABC guide on how to build up a Clodbuster racer/basher if that's a route you wanted to take.

There's also this sticky here on building a crawler, although a lot of the companies listed are no longer: How to build a Clodbuster Rock Crawler

Either way have fun with the truck. They are a blast to drive!
pretty much to make it a basher. it will most likely just be used to drive around inside or outside, maybe over some stuff.

i dont really want to turn it into a full crawler. some more suspension travel would be nice as well as some cheapish electronics. like a brushed summit esc, and integy motors, and a 2.4 traxxas tx or 2.4 axial tx. i already have the traxxas and axial tx's just not sure which i will use.

quick question. were was the battery supposed to go on the stock chassis?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Goes in from the side, under the msc.

stuff from Brett's store, crawfordperfromanceengineering, can help it become a good basher. I would suggest esc, oil shocks, axle mounted servo on front axle, and 4 link it.

Last edited by budhatrain; 12-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhatrain View Post
Goes in from the side, under the msc. stuff from Brett's store Crawford Performance Engineering : What's New Here? can help it become a good basher. I would suggest esc, oil shocks, axle mounted servo on front axle, and 4 link it.
thanks! i see some parts in there that i could use already. ill place an order in a few weeks.

Last edited by c0bra; 02-19-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

im trying to get my order ready from crawford performance and the order is already over what i spent on the truck itself!

i have a question for you guys. if i got there 4 link mount would i still be able to run 4 wheel steer? to me it doesnt look like ill be able to and i want to still be able to have 4 wheel steer.

link to the mount
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...roducts_id=211

Last edited by c0bra; 12-11-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It depends on what type of 4 link setup you go with. Four link (all four to the c-hubs) you can still use that stock 4ws. If you do 4-link and use a upper link mount on top of the axles like you have pictured then no. You can still do 4ws steer however you just need 2 servos (one on each axle). He has some good cheap high torque servos too.

When you order call Brett and explain to him what you are looking to do and he will help you get the right parts. His customer service is second to none!
budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhatrain View Post
It depends on what type of 4 link setup you go with. Four link (all four to the c-hubs) you can still use that stock 4ws. If you do 4-link and use a upper link mount on top of the axles like you have pictured then no. You can still do 4ws steer however you just need 2 servos (one on each axle). He has some good cheap high torque servos too.

When you order call Brett and explain to him what you are looking to do and he will help you get the right parts. His customer service is second to none!
ok. ill try and find a mount that will work with the stock set up for the 4ws. im planning on getting his steering kit, steering links and stock chassis 4 link kit as well as other small parts.

if i cant find one ill just run 2 servos, ill have to pick up another sr300 rx for my dx3c. i already figured out how to do the 4ws on that anyway.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i havent been able to find an upper 4 link mount that will work with the stock steering setup. it looks like i will have to run a servo on each axle.

im thinking about running 2 escs with a y harness instead of the evx2. im leaning towards going with 2 axial ae2. i also ordered 2 55t integy lathe motors from the lhs.

Last edited by c0bra; 02-19-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i decided to do this build a little different. rather than upgrading it now and running it later, im going to get it running now. that way i will stay interested in this and not want to sell it before it is "done"

Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i got the clod back to being a roller with the two 55t lathe motors installed last night. i will have to fix the steering on it as neither the front wheels or rear wheels turn in either direction. i also mounted the white leds in the grill, the controller is from yeah racing and is meant for drifters.

today i started working on a new electronics tray to hold the 2 esc and part of the y-harness using .040 styrene, super glue and tenax 7r.

top piece, needs holes drilled for the mounting screws and hole cut out to access the escs:

part were the esc will go into with 2 traxxas xl5 escs inside to show how much room is left, still needs the bottom cut and attached:

bottom piece sitting on the top piece

the led controller may get mounted on the body or the chassis, havent decided yet, but the 9v battery for it will go on the chassis in its own styrene box. if the controller goes on the chassis it will be in the same box as 9vbattery with some styrene in between.

im still unsure were the 2s lipo or the spektrum rx will go. i may put the rx on the electronics tray with the esc. the lipo may go in the rear of the chassis.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

You can run an EVX2 on 1 battery lipo or nimh and use just about any motors you want...If you 4-link it and DONT use the upper link mount the stock steering setup will work...If you use an upper link mount you will have to use vertical servo mounts and dual servos...you can also use a reversing Y-harness for the servos to get the 4ws
Kingclod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
You can run an EVX2 on 1 battery lipo or nimh and use just about any motors you want...If you 4-link it and DONT use the upper link mount the stock steering setup will work...If you use an upper link mount you will have to use vertical servo mounts and dual servos...you can also use a reversing Y-harness for the servos to get the 4ws
ok. im just going to keep it stock until i get it to the point were it can move around under its own power. once that is done i will start upgrading the performance of the suspension and steering. doung it that way will keep my interest and make me hold on to it for longer. the clod has already make me want to make a monster scx10/ax10 hybrid with a jeep jk body, more on that if i decide to do it in another area of the forum.

i will most likely end up going 4-link with the mount, and run 1 servo on each axle. im probably going to plug the front servo into the steering spot on the rx, and the rear servo into the 3rd channel. then i can just mix the 2 channels for 4ws.
the reason for thinking about using the xl5 escs is because i already have them, i just wish they had an on/off switch instead of a button.

Last edited by c0bra; 01-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Fan of wheelspeed

Looking really good so far man. Keep up the good work!
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Looking really good so far man. Keep up the good work!
thanks man. i have an update for it, but i want to get a little more done. lets just say its almost ready to run!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
RCC Addict

ive been working on this off an on for the past week. i still havent even started soldering, because im not looking forward to it. i have to solder the wires to the motors, attach a connector to the wires and replace the one that is connected to the escs, extend the battery wires on 1 esc and solder a traxxas connector to it, also have to make a y-harness to run a single battery, also solder a 9v battery connector to the led harness...... thats ALOT of soldering!

i have done other stuff however!

for example i finished the electronics tray that will hold the esc. still needs painted.

comparison between the stock tray and the one i made

tray mounted to chassis with escs in it, escs are not secured to it yet.

mounted leds in the grill

also i made the body mount holes just a hair bigger and cut the body mounts that were on the truck when i got it and mounted the body! after mounting the body i realized i mounted the cowl so that it wasnt straight so i carefully took it off. i will be remounting it tho.

what do you guys think about a burnt orange body, black grill, black inside the bed, with black wheels?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Fan of wheelspeed

Looks mean as hell c0bra. I think the orange would look good too btw.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Looks mean as hell c0bra. I think the orange would look good too btw.
thanks. it still needs some work before i can prime it. once its primed and the taillight buckets are in, its off to florida for paint.

i started on the thing i dislike most about rc next to glueing tires, its soldering. i did get the motors done, so thats 8 joints done.

my clod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Rock-Clod Gallery: A place to post u'r clod in action! vo-techer Tamiya Clod Buster 293 02-19-2024 09:58 AM