Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: H3's Super Class comp build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Mounted the rear servo tonight. Used a stainless clod mount(crawler store i think) bent it around so both tabs faced down.
Want to keep the CG low so I went for mounting it underneath the mount. I had to drill a couple fresh holes, but well worth it. Used some rc-10/associated servo mounts upside down.
I will have to use the lower side of knuckles for tie-rod but the lower cg seems more important to me than scraping a little on the way over stuff, or while reversing.
I'm liking the way it turned out. Nice and low/sleek.

Started on the front. I think I'm going to use the BTA set up I have since it's here. Think this is where I'm going to mount it. Could have put it lower but would have to cut off end nearest knuckle. Didn't seem worth ruining such a great setup incase I clock the axles and end up running it as true BTA. It's killing me not to clock the axle's now but I don't want to spend the time if they just break right away. I have yet to find any comp worthy info on them. I figure if all fails I'll just throw some clod's back under it.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Wow, That think Looks kool. Its a different design for sure, I can't wait to see it in action, and those raptors with portals have alot of clearace
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon M View Post
Wow, That think Looks kool. Its a different design for sure, I can't wait to see it in action, and those raptors with portals have alot of clearace
A lot of clearance.....YES. Just don't know if they will hold up to comps.
I have these Clod axle's for backup though. I have to say I really like the Raptors for mounting links. The upper and lower link mounts are parrallel(sp) to each other allowing for a great working link set up. With the portals I mounted my links to the lower side of the C's with no worries, so the 4 link is flawless.

Last edited by H3RESQ; 05-16-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

You should keep the raptor axles-looks a lot better with them.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

How thick are your side plates? Future plans for different thickness if it dont work likeyou want it?

Looks like it should work pretty good..........
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Very unique........I like it a lot.

I see that you have the axle case chrome in the front. By any chance do you still have the black one?
krawlinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Crawlin Cj and Rudakai......The picture was just showing my backup clod axle's in case the Raptors don't hold up. People have been breaking the R series trannys and that's what the centersection is on the Raptors so I'm just not sure they will hold up.

I erased the picture so to not confuse the people that I'm changing axle choice if they don't read it all.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Oh I read it. I still need the axle case though, since my upper link mount broke off............Too much use of the index finger:-D Those link mounts don't really appreciate having the full weight of the truck dropped on them from two feet in the air after the truck drove itself straight up a vertical climb when they're already cracked.
krawlinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyrocket View Post
How thick are your side plates? Future plans for different thickness if it dont work likeyou want it?

Looks like it should work pretty good..........

yes, these are 1/16th inch and I have a set that are 1/8th that I'm going to build into a shafty. The tranny will sit forward in the low part of the chassis with a stubby d-line(notice that belly is same hieght as axle, nice straight d-line) rear will go up through a bearing and back down.(tranny will actually sit slightly angle down in the front)

These are the axle's I'm going to use. I picked them up 1.5 years ago and finally got around to looking at them. The previous owners/builder were trying to use cut down t-maxx driveshafts(plastic) they tore within seconds(literlly seconds) Now I know why I got them so cheap. I think I have found a cvd that will work. Right now it's a t-maxx center with tera crusher knuckles(I think) I think i'll have clod knuckles on it when I'm done.Just image these with clod Portals.......SICK........j/k(and overkill.)

Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlinCJ View Post

I see that you have the axle case chrome in the front. By any chance do you still have the black one?

Actually that's the new Integy case. It's just the lighting. They do have a kinda goldish tint since there cast not machined. There HEAVY too.

Sorry I don't have the black one.

BTW: I think the crawler store has plastic one's.......under $10 i think.

Looks like it's RCP.........Integy's and plastic one's
http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/clod_axles.html

Last edited by H3RESQ; 05-16-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Are you sure those will work? It looks like those need driveshafts-Not clod axles.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

DUDE! This is nothing like what you sold me! Lookin' good!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
Are you sure those will work? It looks like those need driveshafts-Not clod axles.
WOW, dude.:-( Do you just look at the picture's or what. Read the post that goes with the pics. It says those are the next build and the TRANNY will sit in the belly of the chassis.

BTW: d-line = driveline.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
DUDE! This is nothing like what you sold me! Lookin' good!
So are you enjoying it? Heard you where out at 4seasons the same day I picked up my wheeels.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
So are you enjoying it? Heard you where out at 4seasons the same day I picked up my wheeels.
Nah, Its kind of a bore . Yeah I was out crawlin tuesday and thursday. great rig. Broke a knuckle though, looking at aluminum .
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Well kinda ran out of stuff to do while waiting on some little parts. Decided to paint the body today.

For some reason the body made me realize that I will have to clock the rear axle before building the rear skid.:-( I was hoping to be lazy and run it a little first. I just look at that rear and see it hanging up everywhere. I'll start clocking it next. 45 degrees upwards. Basically right up to the chassis.

Waiting on another long side stainless servo mount so I can do the front the same as I did the rear. Oh and another pinion. One was missing.

Then it's time for skid and electronics.

I'm hoping to have it done in time for the orcrc comp on june 3rd. Wish me luck.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Damn...What's the center clearance on that thing? Don't make the skid too large...That thing kicks *** man.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Have you thought about runing the Rear axle backwards? Works great on 2.2 Clods. If it's hanging up on the motor. That would fix that issue.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Have you thought about runing the Rear axle backwards? Works great on 2.2 Clods. If it's hanging up on the motor. That would fix that issue.
I spent some time thinking about it. Decided both have there drawbacks and I prefer to change the links to bent one's and run them to the lower side of the C's. This will give me a "smooth" angle when breaking over or dragging rather than hitting the straight edge of a flipped axle. Especially since I'll clock the rear.

The plus to 2.2's is the lack of steering. So there's less of a give and take involved.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #40
RCC Addict

I can't wait to see this rig run at the June comp, it should do well.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote