Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Ditch those cantilevers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ditch those cantilevers

OK, I'm tired of the cantilever suspension, is had way to much play in it and makes the truck wobble like a toy. I started removing the rear suspension last night to do something different. I'm thinking about using AX-10 shocks/springs on it.

If you have ditched the cantilever, what did you use for suspension?

Let's see some pics......
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

If you want to get rid of the slop, use the zip-tie mod. Cheap and easy solution to the slop.

I ditched my canti setup and am using the Losi 4" crawler shocks. You can find some pics here: Testing new suspension setup - warning - lots of pictures!
FreshMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

As much as I wanted to keep the cantilevers and make them work, I finally gave in and got rid of them. For a scale type truck they just did NOT look the part.

There are some pictures of my CR01 in this thread Anyone seen these portals before?, post 17.

RIght now I actually am using some Associated shocks and they work pretty darn good. But I am also going to replace them with some scale 90mm White Shocks with Internal Springs from RC4WD.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=487

Without all the cantilever pieces the CR01 looks much better and more scale.

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

think many people come to this question about cantilevers or not.
i ditched mine entirely and fitted losi 4" shocks all round.

added bonus is at full flex the standard tires will not hit the spring cups and try to twist the diff assembly forward and aft, which can sometimes pop the linkages off and pull the springs out of there mounts.

plus felx improves greatly but the car is way to bouncy running on spring and stock shocks. the stock shocks can flex without the cantilevers too.

link to my setup Perth CR-01

hope it helps!
siwood22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input, right now I'm trying to fit Traxxas Ultra shocks to my CR-01. I've removed all of the canitlever parts and springs. I have the rear worked out, but I getting the bugs worked out of the front. I have to shortne the shocks a little because I am getting driveshaft bind in the front.

pics to follow....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #6

Does anyone know if the Tamiya CR-01 hop-up shocks work without the cantilevers?
They advertise themselves as being longer than the stock shocks, I just don't know if they're long enough to work without cants.
gordb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I don't have my CR01 in front of me or my retired set of the Tamiya Aluminum shocks but I am thinking they will work depending on where and how you mount them.

Carl
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Here's pics of what I did, I made some axle mounts for the shocks using some spare Tamiya parts that I think came with my High Lift, that along with a few spacers here and there and some new upper mounting holes drilled for the front shocks and I have them on there. Everything looks less cluttered now and the suspension is soft, smooth and very flexable. I used Traxxas xxl ultra shocks that I picked up at the LHS, I think they are for the T-Maxx. So far so good with this new setup, I'm going to try and bring it somewhere tomorrow for a good workout.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
I don't have my CR01 in front of me or my retired set of the Tamiya Aluminum shocks but I am thinking they will work depending on where and how you mount them.

Carl
Thanks dude - good to know there's hope =)
gordb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

are there any step by step guides around? And can this be done without making your own parts-mounts? I'm still very much an rc noob
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #11

its a fairly simple mod to do.
basically remove every part of the cantilever system and relocate the shocks ie: diff to chassis.
siwood22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #12

Removed cantilever setup and mounted stock shocks vertically using cut down coil over savage springs. Would post some pics but as this is my first post it seems I don't have access to the manage attatchments window just yet?
Golic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I ran my CR-01 yesterday and the suspension works great, much better than the stock setup. My only problem was with the JunFac driveshaft ( again ) I ran for about 10 min and the rear shaft started to bind up, this is the 3rd time it has happend to me, on the front and rear joints of both driveshafts. The shaft and joints are stainless steel, the joint pivot pieces start to get gualed and then it seizes up. I've had to take the joints apart, polish the scored pieces and ream out the inside of the joint. This has become every frustrating and I may take the shafts out and go with another type. So far the joints I have fixed have been fine, I've reassembled them with Tetra gun grease. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The shafts dont look like too bad of an angle in that side shot. Maybe after some running in that angle they will wear in a bit more and not bind as much.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
RCC Addict

They really don't have much angle and work pretty smooth ( for a little while) It seams that they get a burr or something from machining in the joint and then it boogers up everything causing the stainless steel to gaul. Kinda like when a stainless steel nut gets stuck onto a stainless bolt, they kind aweld themselves together.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Is it better to have the shocks more upright or is the angle in the photos ok?
cobrawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ideally you would like to keep your shocks vertical but with our scale crawlers that is a little bit difficult although it can be done.

What you have in the pictures is okay and the way most of us do them.

Carl
Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
RCC Addict

It is more realistic for the shocks to be vertical. However, the CR-01 is not all that "scale" of a vehicle so I went for performance over looks. The shocks at a angle allow for a longer travel shock to be used, I have way more flex and wheel travel than I did with the stock setup. This setup is now similar to the Axial Scorpion. My more "scale" type trucks have vertical shock placement.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

can someone post a clear chassis shot showing where the shocks mount, and also where they mount to the axle? I don't have my CR01 yet so I don't have any reference point to work from.

Recommendations for a replacement shock would be good too - ideally one that'll bolt straight on.

Thinking of doing this and a driveshaft upgrade while i'm building it, rather than as a later upgrade.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
can someone post a clear chassis shot showing where the shocks mount, and also where they mount to the axle? I don't have my CR01 yet so I don't have any reference point to work from.

Recommendations for a replacement shock would be good too - ideally one that'll bolt straight on.

Thinking of doing this and a driveshaft upgrade while i'm building it, rather than as a later upgrade.
Losi 4" shocks bolt right on as you'll see in various threads with pictures around here. You will have to bodge something though to use the Losi lower ball as it has an imperial size hole marginally smaller than the 3mm bolt.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote