Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A TLT Design You've Never Seen....unless your Grover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Rover at Recker Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin
Very interesting design.

When can we see some video of it in action?
Here's the vid, it took a couple of tries but he made it.

azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 AM   #22

Simple is good, that looks great!
jderreks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Right on, thanks for the link.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #24
MODERATOR™

Are there odd antisquat effects? Or what about the axle swaying as it goes through it's motion?

I watched the video, and I'm curious about what I'm seeing.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I noticed that too, as the drive train loaded up the rear seemed to react funny.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I noticed that too, as the drive train loaded up the rear seemed to react funny.
some of that is caused by lack of seperation between the upper and lower control arms at the chassis.........they are on the same plane as each other........the optimal would be the same seperation as the axle side

Last edited by rockwerks; 04-25-2006 at 09:56 PM.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I usually HATE stick chassis' but that one is a sweet and original design....
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Default Here's What I Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Are there odd antisquat effects? Or what about the axle swaying as it goes through it's motion?

I watched the video, and I'm curious about what I'm seeing.
Quote:
The vid was shot low and at an angle so it looks a little funny. Also the hole the left rear tire keeps getting sucked into was throwing the truck around. Than the right front get pushed into a rock making the truck stand up. But I think it's the sag I like to run in the front of my TLTs. I find this lets the front do most of the work allowing the rear to hold the truck true and reduce torque roll, especially while climbing. The rear steer can make the axles look as though they're rocking sideways. The axle stay as close to perpendicular to the chassis as my Stick under articulation.

The swingarm effct from mounting one end of the links from the same point works great on a TLT, it seems to help with axle roll when the tire loads up ( a cause of torque roll ) vs equal mounting positions.

I ran Rover around the yard, I'll post vids later tonite, to check a little closer.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader
The vid was shot low and at an angle so it looks a little funny. Also the hole the left rear tire keeps getting sucked into was throwing the truck around. Than the right front get pushed into a rock making the truck stand up. But I think it's the sag I like to run in the front of my TLTs. I find this lets the front do most of the work allowing the rear to hold the truck true and reduce torque roll, especially while climbing. The rear steer can make the axles look as though they're rocking sideways. The axle stay as close to perpendicular to the chassis as my Stick under articulation.

The swingarm effct from mounting one end of the links from the same point works great on a TLT, it seems to help with axle roll when the tire loads up ( a cause of torque roll ) vs equal mounting positions.

I ran Rover around the yard, I'll post vids later tonite, to check a little closer.
It is a great working truck but much of the rear wheel hop would go away if the front of the links where mounted farther apart

the rear mounting points stop the axle wrap.

on real rigs anyway
Old 04-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #30
06 Super National Champ

Slick.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Default A run around the rock pile

RockWerks, I'm not sure what wheel hop and link mounting positions have to do with one another but I'll keep that in mind. I think it's 9.6volts run through a Pede trans, my little digi doesn't show it well but Rover has good wheel speed.

Here's the vid I took of Rover in the back yard.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Pretty slick, I like the new rig!
Did you ever put up some vids of the Buster? And where did you get that alloy tranny on Buster?
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader
RockWerks, I'm not sure what wheel hop and link mounting positions have to do with one another but I'll keep that in mind. I think it's 9.6volts run through a Pede trans, my little digi doesn't show it well but Rover has good wheel speed.

Here's the vid I took of Rover in the back yard.

Nice stuff.........If ya go to http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum and search 4 link there is a free 4 link calculator that will show you the anti squat #s, and graphics of the system its kinda cool also all kinds of great info on alll the peramiters of how thw 4 link works

there is no such thing as the perfect setup......yours works well.........I will be building one soon and cant wait to play

what shcok oil weight are you running in the rear?

Last edited by rockwerks; 04-26-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

rockwerks, I would like to extend an invitation to our next event on may 21st at south mountains summit. If your tlt is not complete come on down anyways, meet the group, and see what we are all about.

Chad-

Mike I sure wish I could view those vids(work computer locks them out), and see if the suspension is misbehaving or if it was just that wicked undercut playing its tricks. If you all think that this link position is a compromize try no rear suspension at all(I love it). Did you get any pics showing my active suspension Mike?

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
rockwerks, I would like to extend an invitation to our next event on may 21st at south mountains summit. If your tlt is not complete come on down anyways, meet the group, and see what we are all about.

Chad-

Mike I sure wish I could view those vids(work computer locks them out), and see if the suspension is misbehaving or if it was just that wicked undercut playing its tricks. If you all think that this link position is a compromize try no rear suspension at all(I love it). Did you get any pics showing my active suspension Mike?

Chad-
I might be able to make it....nearly 200 miles from my house)...but it would be later than earlier. If the TLT is done I will bring it.

I do know what its all about, just never seen it in scale. I judge for werock, calrocks etc. whenever time permits

Your rear suspension is hopping vertically as the suspension loads......you might be able to control it with a tad heavier shock oil or spring, Id try oil first the heavier spring will otherwise compromise the system, it is a beautiful truck great job on the build
Old 04-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Wow, now I am impressed, pushing the boat out here!
I am in process of making my friend a tlt as good as mine ( which I have just sold actually )
And I have decided that it sucks now, lol.

Would you mind atall if I borrowed your design for it based mine on it?

I would need to know if it would be possible to have the inner links coming from behind the servo they are currently mounted there ) .
Would it cause binding ?

Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I think I have to Xerox this one.

But that aluminum is soooo 20 minutes ago Mine's gonna be carbon fiber

And don't ask, it'll be a one-off booty-fab, not for resale.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
now that is " OUTSIDE " the box for sure, simply incredible, what a awesome Idea! I am in envy, great workmanship!
i think it is more or less just getting rid of the box...nice rig tho
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrape
I usually HATE stick chassis' but that one is a sweet and original design....
its not even close to a stick design, its 4 linked, so why are you trying to compare the two?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Got started on the CF Stick (or Nanotube) this afternoon. Stuff is a b!tch to work with, but it helps that my shocks and upper links use the same mounting points.

Look for the Nanotube build thread soon
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote