Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tube buggy "AIR RIDE"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302ranger
All four shocks are on the same system. The "piston" of the shock does not need to be sealed at all. The two o-rings at the bottom of the shock that seal against the shaft are sufficient. This way all that the air pressure is acting against is the shock shaft. (The shaft is a little over 3mm dia. and at 150 psi provides about 1.7 lb of force. At 200psi it is capable of 2.2 lb of force. The upside, IMO, is the force is constant the entire travel of the shock.)

I picked up some small barb fittings with small pipe threads on one end, a couple of quick connect tees, and some poly tubing at a local hydraulic/pneumatic hose shop. (cost me $11) I don't have any spec's on these, they were just the smallest I could find. (they let me rumage around until I found what I needed.)

The only modification needed on the shocks is to drill and tap a hole in the side of the shock. Then install the barb fittings with some teflon tape on the threads. After you install them in the shock you will need to take your dremmel and smooth the inside bore of the shock so the piston can slide easily. TLT shocks work great for this project because the shock bodies are so thick.

For the fill valve I used a metal car tire valve. (autozone 2pk $5) you just intall a barb fitting in the end oposite the valve and bolt it down somewhere.

Finally, just cut your hose and hook it all up. I found that the hose I bought was just a little too loose on the barb fittings. They slid on tight and held 200 psi, but if I flexed the hose any, air would leak out. So I cut one of the chassis brace tubes that come in the tlt kit into 1/4 sections and slid them over the connections to keep the hose from moving. The quick connect tees work great and are easily removed for repositioning.
Sorry but there is no way that system holds 150 psi, post a pic of a tire gauge on the stem.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

This is pretty cool but I was wondering is tlt shocks the only shocks you can use, or could you use any other shocks.
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusZuk
Sorry but there is no way that system holds 150 psi, post a pic of a tire gauge on the stem.

OK newbie. Who cares what you think. Do it yourself if you need to see a gauge.
Scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteracing
OK newbie. Who cares what you think. Do it yourself if you need to see a gauge.
I didn't want to be the one to say it. Good job though.
blue302ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrawler
This is pretty cool but I was wondering is tlt shocks the only shocks you can use, or could you use any other shocks.
you can do this with any ALUMINIUM shock, it's just figuring out a way to secure a hose for pressure to it. A plastic shock may or may not work. I think it would be too weak.
blue302ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Do you think that TLT shocks that have been turned down would still have enough meat to thread the barbs into? They would look even better machined down looking like airshox.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302ranger
I didn't want to be the one to say it. Good job though.
Come on post the pic, I just can't see that system holding 150psi, it looks like the stuff they use to put air bubbles in fish tanks
Old 09-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #48
RCC Addict

I don't know if it could hold 150 psi or not. At first I thought it sounded like a huge number as well. But I'm thinking its probably right. if you think, pounds over inches squared. The inches squares is getting very small in this application. Therefore the required pounds can be much smaller. I'm too lazy to get into any kind of math but just something to consider.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #49
RCC Addict

well those same connections he is using are used to do airlines in automotive applications, i have no problem seeing 150 in those lines.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
I don't know if it could hold 150 psi or not. At first I thought it sounded like a huge number as well. But I'm thinking its probably right. if you think, pounds over inches squared. The inches squares is getting very small in this application. Therefore the required pounds can be much smaller. I'm too lazy to get into any kind of math but just something to consider.
Yup, the small volume is the key, I would think.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Come on post the pic, I just can't see that system holding 150psi, it looks like the stuff they use to put air bubbles in fish tanks

Again, he has nothing to prove too you. If you would like to see results then do it yourself. This is an example of someone stepping out of the box and doing something different.
Scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteracing
Again, he has nothing to prove too you. If you would like to see results then do it yourself. This is an example of someone stepping out of the box and doing something different.
jesus, I wasn't trying to say he was an idiot or a retard for doing something out of the box. I was just saying I thought he might be mistaken in his claim of 150 psi, doesnt mean eveyone one has to jump on the butthurt bandwagon, I was just asking for a stupid pic of him holding a guage on the valve stem that reads ~150 psi, damn I am such a retarded newbie

Last edited by Full Penetration Fab.; 09-12-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
jesus, I wasn't trying to say he was an idiot or a retard for doing something out of the box. I was just saying I thought he might be mistaken in his claim of 150 psi, doesnt mean eveyone one has to jump on the butthurt bandwagon, I was just asking for a stupid pic of him holding a guage on the valve stem that reads ~150 psi, damn I am such a retarded newbie

true. and your over using smilies.

mabey it was because you used a flip off in your first post in this thread trying to come across like king ****
skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

when the buggy articulates, do all the other shocks get harder or does it have a one way valve in all the shocks?
rockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy
when the buggy articulates, do all the other shocks get harder or does it have a one way valve in all the shocks?
A one-way valve wouldn't let air enter and escape the shock body to allow both compression and extension.

I would think that it would raise the pressure in the entire system slightly, thereby making the other three firmer.

That is why I would actually run the front and rear shocks on seperate systems. That way, one shock compressing wouldn't effect all the others - only the opposing shock on that axle.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 09-12-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but here goes. In a closed system pressure is constant. Nothing changes on the other shocks when one or all are compressed. If it's 150 at the front, it's 150 at the back, simple. There is no where for the air to flow to where it will be at lower pressure. Just my .02
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Out Racing
I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but here goes. In a closed system pressure is constant. Nothing changes on the other shocks when one or all are compressed. If it's 150 at the front, it's 150 at the back, simple. There is no where for the air to flow to where it will be at lower pressure. Just my .02
That is only true if there is some sort of "droop" in the shocks that would let them extend further to compensate. But in this setup, all the shocks are already fully extended when it is pressurized. So, if one shock is compressed, the shock shaft entering the body of the shock takes up some room (even if it is a small amount). This displaces some air, but there is nowhere for this air to go (since all the shocks are already fully extended by the pressue), so the pressue inside the system rises slightly. Sure, it may be insignificant, but it does.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
That is only true if there is some sort of "droop" in the shocks that would let them extend further to compensate. But in this setup, all the shocks are already fully extended when it is pressurized. So, if one shock is compressed, the shock shaft entering the body of the shock takes up some room (even if it is a small amount). This displaces some air, but there is nowhere for this air to go (since all the shocks are already fully extended by the pressue), so the pressue inside the system rises slightly. Sure, it may be insignificant, but it does.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, its like when you blow up a rubber glove and you skweeze one of the fingers and the others get bigger, except the skweezing is one shock compressing and the fingers getting bigger is the other shocks wanting to extend or become firmer.

Last edited by Full Penetration Fab.; 09-13-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, its like when you blow up a rubber glove and you skweeze one of the fingers and the others get bigger, except the skweezing is one shock compressing and the fingers getting bigger is the other shocks getting wanting to extend or become firmer.
Interesting analogy
Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Interesting analogy
I always try to make them as stupid as possible so everyone can understand.