Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Spid's Unimog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Do you have the part number for the body mounts?
I'll check the manual when I get home.

TCSCrawlers came through again with fast service.

Winch and fairlead:

And the best part, Rock Creeper tires which should give the Unimog a lot better grip.
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Nice choice of tires! Any plans for the bed of the Unimog or are you going to make it into a tow truck? I see you bought a winch!

Here is what I did with mine

I ended up putting the Jeep body back on because The body needs a better mounting system. I hate to make holes in it but it will fix my issues. I tried Velcro and Magnets but I think the posts and mounts yours has will work much better.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 10-04-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Winch is mounted to the front at the moment. It will be used as a winch in the summer and will raise and lower a plow in the winter. I do plan on making it a tow truck at some point with a simple round tube boom with a second winch running off of it. I am hoping to cut a chunk out of the lexan bed and mount the boom and winch to the chassis tub.

Part numbers. Front and rear use the same parts.
Tree M (19115264) part 4 times two is the base that attaches to the tub.
Tree D (19005741) parts 1 times two and 4 times two are the front/rear mounting posts that attach to it.
Hope that helps. Like your Unimog by the way.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidubic View Post
Winch is mounted to the front at the moment. It will be used as a winch in the summer and will raise and lower a plow in the winter. I do plan on making it a tow truck at some point with a simple round tube boom with a second winch running off of it. I am hoping to cut a chunk out of the lexan bed and mount the boom and winch to the chassis tub.

Part numbers. Front and rear use the same parts.
Tree M (19115264) part 4 times two is the base that attaches to the tub.
Tree D (19005741) parts 1 times two and 4 times two are the front/rear mounting posts that attach to it.
Hope that helps. Like your Unimog by the way.
Thanks for the part numbers I assume the two base pieces are in the same parts bag M

and the 4 body posts are also in the parts bag D so I not need to order two parts bag M and two parts bag D?

Thanks for your help. I have been trying to find these parts for ages.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Both bases are the same. There are two identical trees in parts bag M. Each has a bumper for the FJ attached as well as one base and a couple of other things. All four posts are attached to one tree. So one bag of each should get you all you need.

Took the Unimog out for a spin on the new tires. Night and day difference. The Creepers grab and pull where the stock tires just spun. The weight of the truck gives a slight bulge and flat spot to the tires. More realistic looking that the stock stiff sidewalls. It climbed some areas I did not expect. Front brick does catch but I don't want to remove it yet till I see how my plow works out. Front winch is installed but depending on how my tow boom on the rear goes I may swap it to the back for the moment. Not sure if I want to use a regular winch for the boom or try a servo winch.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Now I am excited. Just ordered a winch controller from Heyok. It will control both my winches individually from my TX's 3 position 3rd channel. Cannot wait to get it. Of course I now I need to get the rear winch for my tow boom. ANd build said tow boom.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Now I am excited. Just ordered a winch controller from Heyok. It will control both my winches individually from my TX's 3 position 3rd channel. Cannot wait to get it. Of course I now I need to get the rear winch for my tow boom. ANd build said tow boom.
Sounds exciting! Post some pictures! Junfac has some nice parts for the CC-01 and there 4 link for the rear is better than GPM's check it out. I know most people chop off the brick and that is fine but I ended up using Junfacs front skid and I like it.

Search Results : JunFac.com

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 10-05-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the link!

This build will be more of a trail truck than rock crawler so the brick will be staying unless the plow idea fails or I feel the brick gets in the way too much. I have my SCX10 for crawling the rocks.

Really looking forward to the Heyok winch controller. Original idea was remote control of the front winch but manual button push on the rear. The new setup will allow remote for both. Plus it will have a manual switch mounted to the chassis to control which gets power. Front/Off/Rear. That way I have no worries about accidentally flipping the TS switch and having a winch spool cable when I don't want it to. I know I will have to actually get down and flip a switch on the truck rather than all being remote but that is my idea and I will live with it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

You have a lot of good ideas for your build. I was wondering how are you going to mount the winch in the front? I am trying to decide if I want one or not but not sure how I would mount it. I might just turn a servo into a winch if I can't figure out a mounting location on the front.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

The kit came with the bumpers for the FJ. I cut the ends off leaving a piece the width of the winch. I screwed a square piece of styrene to this and the winch to it. It just fits under the Unimog body. The winch sits ahead of the Unimog bumper which I am not sure looks right. If I think it doesn't then I think I can mount the winch under the front of the Unimog and run the line out under the bumper using an RC4WD fairlead I also picked up. Will try to get pictures tonight.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

This build will be more of a trail truck than rock crawler so the brick will be staying unless the plow idea fails or I feel the brick gets in the way too much. I have my SCX10 for crawling the rocks.
I hear you I also keep my CC-01 for the trails it's more scale and lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing how your truck comes together.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Got some pictures out in the dirt tonight.

I am loving this little truck.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

A couple of shots of the mount for the front winch:
Top down:

3/4

Below:

It sits right in front of the bumper whereas it should likely be more on top of the bumper. I need to add a couple of supports underneath then it should look better.

Just added this tonight:

I have an RPPHobby one which I will put on my SCX10. Not sure where the decal went.

Last edited by Spidubic; 10-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

It looks good, but I think it would look better behind the body. Is there room for it behind?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
It looks good, but I think it would look better behind the body. Is there room for it behind?
Don't most people/trucks have the winch in the front? never seen one in the rear before.

Nice action shots! The winch looks cool

Here is a good idea for your tow truck boom in the back. I know its for a ship but its a good start. http://store.rc4wd.com/Ships-Crane-_p_1795.html

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 10-05-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I think the winch is not the same scale as the body and looks rather large hanging off the front of the Mog shell. It would look better directly behind the front of the body. You could use the fairlead you bought to mount to the front of the body and run the line through it. IMO it would look better.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Once I get the plow mocked up I will have a better idea of winch location. I kind of like it out in the open as this is suppose to be a heavy duty recovery truck. We shall see. Winch should work either way. Out front or under the hood.

Fourth picture down, this is my idea for the boom.
Railroad Line Forums - "Railmaster Imports" S-scale Truck
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Or this:
1981: Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416 tow truck for sale
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Okay, change of plan on the front winch. Was looking at it last night and decided to try swapping the mount around and see how the winch fit under the body. Turns out quite well.

My only issues is while my fairlead will look cool on the front bumper it also means running the winch cable through the body and not being able to fully dismount the body without undoing the cable from the hook.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Fairlead added:

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/335748-spids-unimog.html
Posted By For Type Date
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM