Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Spid's Unimog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spid's Unimog

Whoever said these trucks were addictive was totally right. Damn you!

Just pulled the trigger on this:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam58457.htm
I love my Axial SCX10 and it amazing crawling abilities and was looking for another scale type truck, something more trail truck than crawler. Debated another SCX10 but even if I did something different with it the truck is still basically the same as what I have now. So I got reading about the CC01 and it seemed to fit the bill. And is fairly cheap. I know it will not crawl like the SCX10 but for trail running it seems to work well. Also thinking down the road about building a trailer and using it to haul my SCX10.

Initial plans are to build it stock but lock both front and rear differentials. Pretty much every thread I read said at least lock the rear. But they also posted later about opening the truck up to lock the front as well.

Future plans are better tires, 4 link rear suspension, winch, etc.

Pics to follow.
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I'm in the same boat.. about to order a unimog today.. still debating what to order with it though.. and what color paint.
kevin107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidubic View Post
Whoever said these trucks were addictive was totally right. Damn you!

Just pulled the trigger on this:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam58457.htm
I love my Axial SCX10 and it amazing crawling abilities and was looking for another scale type truck, something more trail truck than crawler. Debated another SCX10 but even if I did something different with it the truck is still basically the same as what I have now. So I got reading about the CC01 and it seemed to fit the bill. And is fairly cheap. I know it will not crawl like the SCX10 but for trail running it seems to work well. Also thinking down the road about building a trailer and using it to haul my SCX10.

Initial plans are to build it stock but lock both front and rear differentials. Pretty much every thread I read said at least lock the rear. But they also posted later about opening the truck up to lock the front as well.

Future plans are better tires, 4 link rear suspension, winch, etc.

Pics to follow.
You will love this kit! I have the Jeep Wrangler CC-01 and if my memory servers me right the kit included a locker for the rears and I did the mod where you put a spider gear in sideways on the front.

Junfac has some cool upgrades for the CC-01. I would advise on the 4 link kit they sell. http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...1&keyword=cc01

I tried the GPM steering kit and went back to the stock so you might just wana stick with the stock kit steering.

RC4WD 1.5's and 1.9's look good on the CC-01 and the OEM steel beadlocks they sell are what I am using. The stock kit tires are way to stiff.

Post lots of pictures!
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Every thread I read about the CC01 the person loved theirs even with its flaws so I figured I can't get a better recommendation than that. The RC4WD OEM rims are on a wish list for future purchase as are the Rock Creeper tires. I was going to grab tires when I ordered it but I figured I would hold off and plan out another order for parts. Figure I can drive on stiff stock tires for a few days. From what I can tell it comes with the locker for the rear diff and I have read up on using a gear from the rear diff wedged in the front to lock it so that is what I will try.

Really looking forward to this build. Already have a Photobucket album ready for pics.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Rpphobby rocks! Just got the notice my order has shipped mere hours after I placed it. Although I know that just means they sent the notice to the post office for pickup and that it hasn't actually shipped. Still kickass service. Now the part I hate the most. Waiting for delivery.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Almost thought I might get it today but looks like Tuesday is going to be the delivery day. Or Wednesday. In the meantime I have been figuring out what route to go with it. Being a Unimog I am thinking of going a tow truck route with a servo winch. Not sure about making the boom. Was thinking and old style boom. Maybe using tubing? Thinking the CC01 bathtub will make a nice solid mounting point. I can cut the floor of the Unimog body's bed out so it slips over the boom and holds none of the weight.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Joe Anderson of Tamiya USA built a tow truck.. don't really remember what it was based off of.. but there's pics here:

http://store.rc4wd.com/Dirt-Grabber-...res_p_216.html

Theres a blog article of the build somewhere..
kevin107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So right now I hate Customs. Package hit Canada Customs Sunday and has been there ever since. I was actually hoping to have it Monday or Tuesday of this week but now it looks like it might be Monday or Tuesday NEXT week.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Six f'ing days my CC01 sat in customs. But finally it arrive. With $37 in duty fees.

Progress is going quite fast. I intend to build it fully stock including the tires then upgrade later on. Both differentials are locked as I knew unlocked would suck. I have not done the mod to the front to gain a little more steering and suspension travel. Want to see how she is stock first.

Pictures!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Tires...

Nice to see your project. I just finished a CC-01 and bought these tires: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...4#ht_979wt_981
Today was my first day out, and these soft tires are fantastic! Just throw away the ones that come with the kit, give them to the dog or something... good luck!
stigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Took it for a run around the kitchen tonight sans body. Surprised by the speed. Very quick. Four wheel burn outs with the stock tires. They will be the first thing I upgrade on this truck. Going to see how she performs outside before deciding on a motor change. Thinking 55t from my SCX10 and then get a 35t for it. Slow the CC01 down and speed the SCX10 up.

Pictures to follow.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

No more pictures yet. Want to get the body painted then do pics. I did get it outside on my small driving area. Tires look great but do totally suck. They have zero traction. Going to replace them with RC4WD Rock Creepers. Also the speed of the truck is way way too fast. Going to pull the 55t motor out of my SCX10 and see what it does in the CC01. If that works well then I will get a 35t for the SCX10 to give it a bit more wheel speed.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Watch out for the front dogbones. With a locked front and especially if you start to lift it, they will pop out or shear off.

I love that the new chassis tub has a do not discard picture on the bottom (the little garbage can crossed out)
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Think I have solved all my issues with speed. Took the Venom 55t out of my SCX10 and dropped it in the CC01. Much more scale speed from part throttle to full. Not so much a desert runner now. Then for kicks I dropped the CC01 motor in the SCX10. That gives it a bit of a kick now. Weather dependent I am going to take both out and see how they perform. If they work as I hope then the CC01 will keep the 55t and the SCX10 is going to get an HH Torque Master Pro Hand Wound 35t motor.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #15

I may consider doing the tow truck idea myself. i have 7 channels to play with and this would fill them out nicely!

i completely agree with swapping out the original tin can for something with higher turns. I put in a 75T and it creeps nicely now. not a "desert runner" by any stretch of the imagination, plus scares the dog less now.

what other mods are you looking at doing?
shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
i completely agree with swapping out the original tin can for something with higher turns. I put in a 75T and it creeps nicely now. not a "desert runner" by any stretch of the imagination

what other mods are you looking at doing?
Liking the feel of both trucks now. CC01 was quite zippy with stock motor even at minimum throttle. With the 55t it is more scale feeling, fast walk maybe slow jog. Pretty much what I was shooting for. As for other mods tires will be next. Keeping the stock rims as I like their utilitarian look. The bumper that mounted to the chassis is gone but I am keeping the brick for now as I hope it will serve as a mounting point for a snowplow. A winch mounted up front will serve to raise and lower the plow in winter and pull stuck trucks in summer. Tow truck idea will be a future project, nothing fancy, simple boom with a winch for pulling stuck trail trucks out of trouble.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have a snow plow that I can mount on my CC... havn't tried to mount it since I sliced the brick off... its made of erector set pieces with an old Futaba S148 servo to raise and lower the blade. Works great. I made it around 14+ years ago and it still works perfect last I checked...
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Both trucks got out for a bit of a run today. The motor swap is going to be permanent. The SCX10 is going to keep the Cc01 silver can for now as it seems to crawl fine. So no HH motor just yet. This will allow me to get the front winch now. Body is painted, pictures to follow. Busy day so not much chance to snap pictures.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Pictures!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Looks Good! Do you have the part number for the body mounts? I have the unimog body for my CC-01 Jeep and had it mounted with Velcro but it didn't hold very well.

It would be the 4 posts and the two plastic pieces that they mount to. Thanks!
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/335748-spids-unimog.html
Posted By For Type Date
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM