Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

Another day, another mod, it seems. Got the Yeah Racing steering assembly and GPM knuckles and CVDs in the post today. The steering kit is really good actually, even though I'm using the stock shaft the play is virtually gone and response is solid. The knuckles and CVDs are pretty self explanatory, but I guess 'golden black' is GPM code for 'golden gold'. I think it matches almost perfectly, so I might get some more in that colour. I'll keep the mod list updated in first post from now on.

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Looking good What is the brat body for?
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

It's for the CC-01, I love the shape and just bought one on a whim. Then I can swap shells depending on what mood or comp I"m in.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

stop sniffing the glue and check out my subaru, uleh
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Went on a social crawl this arvo and then repainted the steel wheels I got.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Yet another day, yet another mod, or mods. I know everyone has their own take on relocating the 4-link mounts, but this is what I did. The Junfac 4-link kit is nice quality gear, but the body mount bolts for the long arms in the 4-link stick out so far its not funny. I've been getting more hangups with the Junfac links than before installing them, so I haven't been very happy lately. Which leads me on to the Junfac side bars, which I have removed as they were another hangup issue. They look great but are much more intended for the pure scale guys I guess. And finally, I spaced the front suspension bracket off the body with 6mm powder coated spacers that came with the various Junfac kits.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

A few pics from my back yard and north lakes today. Really happy with the steering finally and no issues all day.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

cool. you really need a front skid on that and all your friends cc's also. huge diff it makes from not hooking on things
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Plenty of progress still going on. I got bored one night and stickered up the rear window pretty well. Gives a little more scale character.

I received my new waterproof servo and was about to install it when MoonUnit noticed my steering was really sticky at either end of the throw. It turned out to be dust/dirt in the hole in the tub where the steering post goes, and it had caused some scouring on the shaft and inner surface of the hole.

I gave the shaft a very light sand and reinstalled it with grease and its nice and smooth again. Obviously I will now have to keep changing the grease as it will attract dirt much more quickly, but I'm still not in the mood to convert to front mounted steering. I went for a crawl today and couldn't be happier with the rig's performance on the whole.

On the way home I got some wheel weights finally. Starting with 30g per wheel with the plastic GMade bead lockers. I want to keep the truck light as possible at the moment. Compared to something like MoonUnit's rig, mine is a feather weight and his is like a medicine ball!

Also, after driving MoonUnit's truck, I was totally convinced to get the RC4WD 2:1 gear reduction unit, however with a 45t motor. His 55t has insane torque now, but sometimes not enough wheel speed to clear the really soft stuff.

But I will copy his choice in tyre. I found a set of lightly used Proline Flat Irons that will go on to the steel rims with more wheel weights.

And finally, I've had the Brat shell cut by someone who knows what they're doing, and have chosen Tamiya PS-07 orange as the main colour. I will black out the tray bed and bumpers, but the rest will be 80s orange.

Last edited by derb; 08-23-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

can't wait to see your brat shell. I have one on one of my cc-01s and love it.
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Nice 40!
I also love the brat body. Why didnt you use the hardbody though? It has much more detail.

I can't believe I sold it...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Nice Brat, the orange on white looks great. As for the hardbody vs the softbody, I know I'm still going to have some decent falls off things. And after watching a guy totally wreck his hardbody Toyota shell a few weeks back over the course of 2 hours that pretty much sealed the deal.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. this was also an extended cab I made, not a standard length Brat.
I beat the crap out of my hardbodies and worst things that happen are cracks and stuff breaking off...but hardbodies are also very easy to fix. I prefer the more realistic look and sound as they scrape rocks to the flex of a lexan shell. I had one but never took to liking it.

I mean, I've broken bodies in two, but simply repaired them after good as new.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Went to a local comp today and had an awesome time. Out of the seven competitors in scale - class 1, four were running CC01 chassis. We ran three courses and I placed dead last in the first course, third in the second course and managed to pick up first in the last course, leaving me outright 4th and very content.

Here are the vids of the last 2 courses I ran. The gate on the last course that I barely broke was a bonus gate that no-one else had attempted due to surface and angle, which explains the reaction.

Second course: CC01 FJ40 @ Simpson Falls Mt Cootha, 2nd course - YouTube

Third Course: CC01 FJ40 @ Simpson Falls Mt Cootha, 3rd course - YouTube

Last edited by derb; 08-26-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

More mods! I got my RC4WD 45t motor and 2:1 GRU just before the weekend which was awesome timing. The motor bed on the chassis had to be cut to allow the motor/GRU to extend rearwards, and obviously that fouled the battery so I just flipped it onto its side.

I can now crawl nice and slowly and still have just enough wheel speed to get up the loose stuff. It also performs very well as a drag brake, so much so that an ESC is no longer required. I jsut want to get a BEC for the steering as the Tamiya 104 ESC only outputs 6v to the servo, not the 7.4v the servo can handle.

You can also see in the pics below the 2 slots that I cut for some velcro strapping to go through and I have also put adhesive-backed velcro strips on to both of my batteries and the base of the tray on the truck. This way there is no requirement for any kind of latch/tape to keep the battery from sliding out of the side of the tub.

I also got my Proline Flat Iron 1.9 tyres last week, but the steel wheels I had already weighted up were just a little too small in diameter to fit the beads of the flat irons into them. Felt bummed, but decided to swap the RC4WD Out Croppers onto them instead, which has transformed them completely. Steel wheels and only 60g of weight per wheel, but the grip is phenomenal.

I tested the Flat Irons on my GMade plastic bead lockers and they fit perfectly. So I'll have to get a lot more weight due to the plastic wheels, but it will all work nicely and I'll have two choices of tyres/wheels. And my mate just bought an SCX10 that came with a 5000mah 2s LiPo that I bought off him for $10 as he has more than enough and I only had one.

Then I went up to the North Lakes track again yesterday with my mate's new SCX10 and absolutely dominated the course. I only had to help the truck in 3 or 4 spots that were too steep for it to get up, and it got through the previous impossible rock sectoin with only 1 human intervention. For still having stock shocks, the CC01 is now incredibly agile and very hard to hang up. But a new drive shaft and 80mm/90mm [front/rear] shocks are coming next week.

Last edited by derb; 09-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Very uneventful weekend for my CC-01. Went out with MoonUnit to North Lakes yesterday around lunch and broke a CVD after about 2 minutes. One of the pins from the uni joint had disappeared. So after driving my mates honcho for a bit we stopped at OZRC on the way home and get some split pins to fix up the CVD.

So today we go out to the site of the next crawling comp and I blow my tailshaft in about 4 minutes. Lost BOTH pins at one of the uni joints. I'm grabbing MoonUnit's spare stock CC01 driveshaft tonight, thank god for spares. My new Junfac shaft is still not here either. Hopefully I can get some real time on the new Flat Iron tyres before the comp on Sunday.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking truck and nice mods so far! One thing with the spacer mod in the front is your truck will be more likely to break front universals. You might want to have a couple of spares on hand...
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Yeh it looks like it hey. Checked the CVDs last night and noticed the one that got repaired had its pin about halfway out and the other side had its factory pin halfway out too. I couldn't push it back into the CVD, so I ripped it out and replaced it with one of the little split pins and then pushed the one back into the other side. I've got 6 split pins to temp repair the CVDs if they throw a pin again, and they have lasted pretty long with the 6mm lift and plenty of hard bashing, but I think you're right that I need new ones soon.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Same thing happened to one of my CVDs. Luckily it was while I had the truck apart and the pin fell out in front of me. Was a bit bent so I rammed it back in and hasn't budged since.
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

God dammit, the shocks I ordered are HUGE! Twice the diameter of a stock cc01 shock and I lost a good 10mm of compression and therefore droop. So they will be traded for something more fitting, most likely some of the GMade Transition shocks that are on MoonUnit's cc01.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cc01 landcruiser body vs cr01 landcruiser body ? hellbounder Tamiya XC/CC01 1 05-08-2012 06:08 AM
Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 build. Wild trial 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 10-25-2011 08:58 PM
Landcruiser mwscooters Axial SCX-10 5 09-06-2011 03:02 PM
My new CR-01 Landcruiser norbyx Tamiya CR-01 7 04-29-2010 01:37 PM
Landcruiser 671offroader 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 07-30-2009 04:20 PM