Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Bronco build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bronco build

After reading and re reading nearly all of the posts in the CC01 section I pulled the trigger on a Bronco kit from RPP. Ive been patiently waiting for them to come back in stock and now one is on its way to me, along with a Junfac drive shaft and a couple scale goodies. The plan I have right now (always subject to change) is build it bone stock since this will be the first CC01 I have owned, and run it a bit just for chits and giggles then the mods will come into play. I'm thinking the standard mods like bearings and a different motor will be first. I'll put together my own 4 link for the rear and possibly TLT knuckles up front. I already have a lot of the parts I'll be using on this build like MRC shocks, 1.55 steelies and Thrashers, CC BEC if needed, Traxxas WP servo with a Racers Edge arm, several different sizes of lipos and a couple ESCs I can use depending on what I feel will work for me.
All of my other rigs (TF2,Wraith and a SCX based Jeep) are more or less point and shoot rigs.....they pretty much go over or thru most challenges and it's not doing a thing to improve my driving skills. What I am going for here is a rig that will be used as a trail truck for the most part but will have the capability of doing some "off trail" driving and light rock crawling when put in the hands of a experienced driver.
So the parts list looks like this:
Junfac rear drive shaft
RC4WD wheels and tires
Losi MRC shocks
Traxxas sealed bearings
servo winch water proof
Traxxas 4 ch RX & TX
home brew 4 link
TLT knucks modded
65t Integy motor or possibly my tried and true drill motor
MMP ESC or a WP Xl5 Traxxas unit still undecided

fab work will include:
front and rear bumpers from steel
styrene interior
swing away tire spare tire carrier w/ Jerry can mount
CB and Radio ant.
4 link and skid plate
front skid plate when I remove the "brick"

Im sure there will be more but it will have to wait till the kit makes its way to me. Im still searching for a theme for this build and a paint scheme. Being the only guy in town thats into RC I kind of rely on RCCrawler for insiration and ideas so any comments and suggestions are welcome....good or bad!! This will also be my first build thread so I am setting up my work area so I'll be able to take plenty of pics along the way.
I just ordered this little hunny this morning so it should be here by the end of the week ( I hope ! ) cant wait to get the ball rolling on this one!!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bronco build

on a side note....I was looking thru some vendors for upgrades for the Bronco and ran across the toyota Landcrusier thats been discontinued....one place had one in stock so I bought it..........
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you are going to run any form of decent servo, you will need to upgrade from the standard plastic steering setup. My Traxxas 2075 continually ripped balljoints from the plastic arms, and the steering shaft was noticeably shifting under lock.

Otherwise good luck! These are a fun little kit to build, I'm glad I built my landy from scratch.
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

They are fun. I run mine with traxxas bearings, aluminum 1.9 wheels, cut front, and tekin fxr. Stock otherwise. Ill watch and see what you come up with for a theme or paint scheme.! I never did anything with steering and run a Hitec 5645. Will 1.5 wheels fit a cc01.? I never tried or looked. If so there are some cool wheels I want lol. Good luck
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1.5's will only fit if you remove the entire outer bead from the inside of the rim. Otherwise they foul our king pins.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

pretty sure the RC4WD 1.5 steel wheels will fit but I guess I wont know till the rigs get here, man waiting sucks......as far as the servo goes it's getting a racers edge aluminum arm at some point and will be mounted on aluminum spacers to keep the flexing to a minimum and there will be GPM knuckles instaled at some point. Im going to put it together box stock and run it some, only mod will be locked diffs at both ends and tires.
From what I have gathered from here for info on the steering it seems to me that a lot of the steering slop that these rigs are known for can be taken care of by replacing the arms and joints. Alot of guys spend coin on the GPM steering kit only to tear it out and replace with stock parts so I think I may lean toward relocating the servo to the front of the chassis after the brick comes off but its all speculation at this point!
I have an idea for the paint, my grandparents had a neighbor that had a bronco, really nice rig that used to run the Rubicon yearly, orange with a white top and flat black hood, no chrome just basic white grill and trim, white roll cage. Its been 25 years since I saw that truck and still remember the details......

and Rivas thats a sweet lookin Bronc you got there!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Steering is kind of hit and miss as you go person to person. My mate has used the stock setup, the full GPM replacement setup and is now running a front mounted servo. He likes the response and zero slop, but not the turning circle. I am just using the Yeah Racing kit which only replaces the linkage under the tub, not the shaft or anything else inside the tub, and I really like it. I have greased the shaft and the hole through the tub because dirt gets in there and starts scoring everything up pretty bad. I can get a lot more lock with little slop compared to my mate with the front mount servo. We are both running exactly the same servo in our different setups but I really feel like mine has the edge in terms of lock and direction. In the end, both the GPM Racing and Yeah Racing kits cost buggar all, as does doing your own front mounted servo, so you can try things and chop and change for very little outlay. Then when you're happy, post up and tell us what you did and why.

Last edited by derb; 09-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have to say that I am way excited to see your build and opinions on the cc01. I have the same feelings as stated above - I have an SCX10 and it goes pretty much anywhere I want it to. I love it and it's fun but I think that getting a cc01 would make me a better drive and give more of a challenge. I'll be watching...and maybe buying!
Manfjourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I got shipping confirmation on the Bronco...will be here on the 11th...a little longer than expected but I also got confirmation on the FJ too and since that is only coming from NH I should have that one by the end of the week, problem is that I dont think I want to build it......I got the last one they had and it's been discontinued....decisions, decisions.....
Had a rummage thru the ol' parts bins last night and gathered some scale goodness and other things like a set of MRC wheels and tires for rocky trips and the 1.55 steelies and Mud Thrashers for trail running, light buckets from Axial, MRC shocks and springs, Traxxas shocks from the front of a Stampeede servos ect....got a little inspired and built a CB to hang in the cab and topped it off with a sticker of a Cobra CB from Bowtie, an Optima looking battery, interior rear view mirror and some scale antaennas for AM/FM and CB. Looked thru my bearing stash and came up with all the sizes called for by Tamyia and the correct number of each. I found 2 GOW incadecent lights for the headlights, A Tower Pro metal gear servo for the winch MG946R wich was like $10 from Hobbypartz.com, made a spool for it from a couple degree wheels and some brass tube, then strung it with about 15 feet of Spectre teflon braided fishing line 75lb test.
I'll be damned glad when I find my friggin camera!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well well well, the ol' Fed Ex truck rolled in here today!! spent a few hours tearing into this thing and heres where Im at so far......

MEGA FLEX!!

Some scale goodies that may or may not make it on this build

I wont bore everyone with a pictorial of the build since it was put together pretty much box stock, not even any bearings!! The front diff is open and rear locked, knuckles were sanded down to increase steering and the wheels and tires are RC4WD steelies and Mud Thrashers in 1.55 size. A 65 T Integy motor, stock ESC, Traxxas 4 ch. rec and 2075 steering servo powered by a 1300 2s pack. Servo winch in the other side of tub is the T Pro MG946r converted for rotation obviously, will be controlled by the 4th channel on the TX. I didnt use the spring tensioners on the shocks and filled them w/ the oil that came in the kit.
I havent even messed w/ the body, I need to get to the LHS But its an hour drive..... still want to give it some run time totally stock just to see what happens. I built the kit carefully and to the letter, I really dont want to dump a load of $$$ at this thing so its run it till it breaks and upgrade!!! This is gonna be fun.......
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

sorry for the small images....what do I have to do in photobucket to make them a reasonable size??? anyone know?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ignore photobucket and use imgur.com. Free with no size, bandwidth or storage limits.

Nice build so far, I ditched the stock spring compressors too.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Not much progress as far as the actual build goes, built a rear bumper/body mount from brass tube and put a lunette ring on it for my trailer. I did get it up and running and took it out for a little test spin yesterday on my little proving grounds.... got to say the lower link system has got to go!!! it gets caught up on everything. So after a little digging for vendors I went to Asiatees and placed my order for all the aluminum bits, hexs, links, knucks and c's, GPM steering. I am kind of digging the stock shocks and spring combo for now, I am sure they will loosen up over time but right now the work quite well.
Since my LHS is over an hour away I'll have to wait to get paint for the body and a few Dubro things I'll be needing along the way. Looking like Monday for that trip since the wife just informed me that she needs to go too to pick out trim paint for the rooms I am remodeling....good as an excuse as any I guess....more pics as soon as I get some color on it and sign up at imgur.com as derb suggested, have a safe weekend all!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Look forward to seeing some pics on how this is turning out.
I love my cc-01 - it's a blast, and you can take it all over, but you do have to pick your lines well - but for me, that's a big part of the fun and the scale of it - just can't point and floor it! ;)
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Kinda bummed out...........made it to the LHS today, the paint selection sucked......go figgure.....so after much deliberation it's going to be Inca Gold with a white top and flares. Im still on the fence about doing a inside out paint job, I did pick up a can of Indy Silver just incase.....too much work to do remod'ing the master bedroom (gotta keep the wife off my back ya know!) to get to the paint today, maybe tomorrow night......
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Kinda bummed out...........made it to the LHS today, the paint selection sucked......go figgure.....so after much deliberation it's going to be Inca Gold with a white top and flares. Im still on the fence about doing a inside out paint job, I did pick up a can of Indy Silver just incase.....too much work to do remod'ing the master bedroom (gotta keep the wife off my back ya know!) to get to the paint today, maybe tomorrow night......
a happy wife makes a happy RC enthusiast!
Similar experience with me on the paints for scx10 dingo that's on it's way (woot!) - looked at this nice selection online, made some decisions, went to lhs... And nothing it seemed. Luckily, I found a stash up under the car bodies away from the other paints - but next time may just order my paints online. ;)

Looking forward to the pics and seeing how it turns out for you
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Update.........

the little plastic tube I picked up at the dollar store, one for the ESC and one for the Rx

how everything wound up, pretty standard stuff

Here she is......the Gold Digger....man, I am so bummed out with this paint job......color bleed thru the top and flares, color is all wrong, way too light. I really wasnt looking for the pimp daddy disco flake gold, all it needs now is some purple Daytons..........

made a little fairlead for the bumper just because it needed something up there...pay no mind to the cross wrench, the boday isnt mounted yet

paint bleed on the top and flares, look at the wheels then the flares.....that friggin gold came right thru even after I backed the white with silver.......not happy

Not really sure where I'll go with the body now, probly respray the top from the outside and beat the snot out of it......still lots of work to do to get a little more scale look to it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Holy craaaaap! sorry about the freaking huge pics!!! first time using imgur...............

fixed it..............
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

LOL those pics are huge! Looks good - I like the gold and trim, a little bleed through is hard to avoid.

Now for a running vid;)

Last edited by Manfjourde; 09-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Manfjourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Not much of an update....I had the chassis out running around the crappy little rock pile I call my testing grounds, really having a hard time believeing what this rig will accomplish. One line in particular was a real bitch w/ my SCX 10 based Jeep and the CC01 chassis went right up it with little problem. While I was out on the pile I really noticed how bad the lower links hang up on eveything, running 1.55s dosent help this problem any either!! Also the usual steering slop is becoming a problem now. Fixes are on the way to both problems or at least deminish them a little......
I put on a set of Traxxas plastic big bore shocks on the front end and ground down the c hubs a bit to get a little more clearance and shock travel, Im glad to report that they work quite nicely so far. I re spun the winch with some stainless cable I found in my fishing junk, I think its rated for 120 lbs,needless to say the combo of metal cable and the TPro servo will pick this rig right up in the air. A zip tie helped a little with the steering, wraped and tightened around the servo saver split ring. I'm getting started on the interior but thats just something to do till my parts show up, more pics tomorrow night
and Manfjourde, sorry no video, I wouldent even know where to start with editing and all.........all I have for a cam is a GoPro

Bronco build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bronco build TheOgre Axial SCX-10 0 02-18-2012 08:07 PM
CR-01 Bronco Build Pathung Tamiya CR-01 42 09-04-2011 06:41 AM
My Bronco Build Gimp Axial SCX-10 66 02-23-2010 02:05 AM
Another Bronco build drtrydr2000 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 03-28-2009 09:18 PM