Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Suspension travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

Default Suspension travel.

Been looking for ways to mod my front suspension. I'm really wanting to go all out on it this time, so I'm fishing for ideas. I'm having trouble finding any I'm comfortable attempting though. And has anyone tried this mod? https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/f...9#.UsSdlXi9Kc0
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
deviatewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suspension travel.

That could work, check out how I did mine... Just about doubled the front travel using stock arms & knuckles.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...psheny7ych.jpg
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You could do this...

Then use 100mm tamiya shocks. This mod works great, and the length of travel is epic...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #4

Thumbs up Re: Suspension travel.

Those are both pretty clever, I think I try Louisbaby's method, I liked the minimal amount of dremeling, and still being able to use the stock shock mounts. Thanks guys
deviatewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I tried the TL01 arms and actually got less travel. Not clear on how Joe gets more travel out of that set-up.

There's a ton of methods posted here in this forum. For downtravel, you can remove a bit of material off the arms and C-hub. Let it droop fully until they contact and you can see where to remove. Just don't get crazy - removing a little goes a long way. On the upstroke it's a little more complicated. If the tire is already hitting the upper fender or the body, there's no point. If you have some room though, The upper camber arm limits up travel by its design. I've trimmed it a bit, or made new ones with a slight bend to them.

Then of course, you can take advantage of longer shocks.

Or you could go REALLY crazy...lol. (this will not fit under a 1.9 body)
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

I am building a CC-01 and also trying to get the most out of the front suspension. Was able to get a bit more travel out of the front but the GPM universals i have installed are already within limits with the standard travel. Are you guys using something else ?

I love building the CC-10 so far, i'm upgrading right away just because. It has never been run. I got the perfect setup in the rear for now. But the front... I'd like to be able to run 80mm shocks without having to hack out the chassis. Is this possible ?
pfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfuture View Post
I am building a CC-01 and also trying to get the most out of the front suspension. Was able to get a bit more travel out of the front but the GPM universals i have installed are already within limits with the standard travel. Are you guys using something else ?

I love building the CC-10 so far, i'm upgrading right away just because. It has never been run. I got the perfect setup in the rear for now. But the front... I'd like to be able to run 80mm shocks without having to hack out the chassis. Is this possible ?
Have you shaved the plastic components? Makes the bottom arms travel further.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I use gpm for all mine, and just do a little shaving on the c hub for more travel. More then that and you have to start modding the steering too.

Not sure you're going to get those longer shocks in there without some hacking.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Thanks for the answers. I spent some more time today on it. I spent 2 afternoons messing around the front end, trying various things. I shaved the plastic components but in the end, the GPM universals rub on the c-hub and the outdrives from the transmission. So it's not going to happen without some hacking... Now i must fix that gpm steering kit. It always gets loose after a short while. I tried to use shorter screws and it seemed to help... Will post on another thread for this problem, once i've tried all i could find.

Thanks for sharing all this info here, this forum made me want a CC-01. I still have some things to do though...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

A little JB weld on the bottom of that steering set-up and it will never be loose again.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Yes, exactly what i wanted to try. But i went with another glue i have that is supposed to stick well to metal. It's kinda like shoe glue but for cars. Filed away the anodizing and glued those parts together. I haven't installed it yet, though.

I got rc4wd king shocks, 70mm. They have a bit more travel than the stock ones and i got the spring kit with those so i'll be able to tune them to my liking! Now if asiatees could get back some front lower arm and front plate in gun metal or black...

Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

if you shim and shave your front suspension to much, you will bend and break front axles.
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspension travel. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension travel mchury Axial Wraith 13 06-20-2012 03:11 PM
suspension travel chevy9534 Axial Wraith 12 11-24-2011 09:20 AM
anyway to get more steering and suspension travel? m1009cucv Tamiya XC/CC01 2 07-01-2011 10:09 AM
Help with CC-01 suspension, how do I get more travel aljsc2566 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-19-2007 12:24 PM
suspension travel jeep_boy02 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 08-05-2004 09:01 AM