Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Waterproofing tips while building the kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

Default Waterproofing tips while building the kit?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting a CC01 kit as a scale trail runner, the Unimog 425 specifically. I've seen a lot of videos on Youtube where they run in really wet conditions and I'd like the option to do the same. That got me thinking about what I can do to help waterproof the rig while building it.

Everyone recommends a bearing kit, but would sticking with the bushings be a better idea if you're going to be getting the rig wet? There's no bearings to trash if you're running bushings.

Is there any need to seal the diffs? And how would you do that?

Is the LED light system vulnerable?

What else?
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Waterproofing tips while building the kit?

I was discussing this with a fellow CC owner. He likes to run in deep water and mud, and the trans gears get crunchy after a few runs. He just has to open it up and clean it out once in a while. The transmission can be sealed in theory, but it's a lot of work. Frankly, I don't see how it's worth it. The tub does a good enough job of keeping out most of the crud for occasional mudding.

If you're building as a trail rig, you'll be locking the diffs. No sealant is needed.

The Tamiya LED light system is not waterproof. I'm sure it can be made so if you pull the box and seal the components, but stock it is not set up for water.

A good set of waterproof electronics and a set of sealed bearings should be all you need. Case can be made for bushings in the front hubs and on the rear axle, but sealed bearings should be ok. Just clean, dry, and re-lube after muddy conditions and you should be fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Waterproofing tips while building the kit?

Buy comformal coating to brush the electronics

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Waterproofing tips while building the kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building advice/tips Cherokee Kit skyjockey Axial SCX10 II 4 01-03-2018 03:02 PM
Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building HumboldtEF Axial SCX10 II 7 10-25-2017 03:41 PM
Tips for first Axialfest? Mods, waterproofing etc....? Banjoblue Recon G6 10 07-07-2015 11:31 PM
Tips on waterproofing the receiver box Cainlord Kyosho Crawlers 0 11-22-2014 09:28 AM
Anyone got some tips on waterproofing motors and electrics? thesquid Newbie General 3 08-05-2011 07:05 AM