Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Up and over's...Losi Comp Crawler Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

you will like the alt, i have it on my rig and it is bad ass!!
imbler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Video!
Post one up I want to see.

I run a 3 cell Lipo in my Mini and it is way too much power.
Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Yvz23gK5o
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Update-

While I'm anxiously awaiting for my DMG A.L.T tuber to arrive, I painted up the stock grappler pro body. I went with Green and Black because thats what I had for paint.

The body fits good and Losi did an amazing job with the pre-drilled post holes. Funny how the little things make the difference.

I put the stock wheels back on the crawler as the Vanquish Pro comps and Rovers will be getting special treatment from some new Nova's Ark dual stage foams. Very excited to try these foams, have read and heard lots of positive feedback.

At this point all I have left to install -

- DMG A.L.T tuber
- Nova's Ark dual stage foams
- RockSmith Engineering outboard shock kit...if it ever gets sent?
- The finishing touches

Can't wait for this stuff to all come together.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wild Snapper; 10-31-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

So I got out today and did some great crawling. I'm starting to really like this Losi and get used to it as I'm coming from an AX-10.
Again I got 30+ minutes of battery time on a standard 1300 3 cell lipo from ckrc. Just like before I wasn't able to hit the cutoff and run the full battery. This time it was because the slipper clutch came loose and I had to stop. I'll retighten tonight but I'm hoping this does not become a habit.

I'm not very fond of slipper clutches, it takes away from the overall feel of a crawler when it's nearing it maximum stress point if I'm explaining that correctly.

Anyways I'm lovin this crawler and can't wait to do a comp with it. Anyone have experiences or advice with the slipper clutch other than tightening it back up? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Just got the heads up from Jerry at DMG that my A.L.T chassis is on it's way tomorrow. Candy gold to match the bullet weights in the Vanquish wheels.
Can't wait. Sweet...........
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Update...

Today I installed some Nova's Ark dual stage foams for my HB Rovers.
All I can say is WoW . These foams are it. The best I've ever used. Hands Down. Amazing. They can be purchased here for anyone wanting their Rover to come to life. Original Design (2009) - 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams

And you can see them in action here HB's and Nova's dual foams video review.

Anyways the install was a snap thanks to the Vanquish ProComps, but I wanted to put up some pictures for you guys to see the difference these foams make. I like pictures if you guys haven't figured this out yet.

What I wanted in these foams, was for the Rovers to fill in and become narrower to give a little more room for turning, which the stock foams were incapable of doing. The Nova's are nice and soft close to the outside of the tire and stiff with great sidewall support closer to the rim.

Many people on here say that the stock foams are great.............my guess is that they haven't tried these Nova's foams and don't know what their missing. These are not memory foam so temp in not an issue....winter is coming.

Check out the first two pictures and see the difference between the Nova's and the stockers. The Nova's are on the left side.
Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Looking good!!..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Tremendous build thread! Photos add greatly to thread, also helps Newbies. Nice A.L.T. Chassis and color selection!! Thanks for sharing.
MacManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Update...

Today was a great day. I finally got my Rocksmith Engineering outboard shock kit and installed it. This kit moves the rear shocks out away from the body to improve stability and reduces role in the rear. This helps with steep climbs and minimizes the torque twist associated with any shafty. This system is not for the front shocks, only the rear.
Check out the before and after picks. It is a great system and sells for $5 bucks...great deal if you don't want to go to the hardware store.

The 2nd pic is the stock setup that Losi did for perspective of change. All the rest are the Rocksmith system installed. I definately suggest this simple upgrade...Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Update...a good one !

Well today was the day...Jerry from DMG sent me a beautiful candy gold A.L.T aluminum chassis. It mounted up perfect and literally weights less that the painted lexan top that was on the crawler before.
All I can say is that this crawler is now officially dialed in and f*#%ing bad ass.
Anyone that's been in the crawling scene for a while needs no introduction to DMG, but for those of you who are not, these are high quality frames with alot of attention put into them....Thanks Jerry this chassis rocks!

I sent in some side panels made out of cut lexan to get painted with the chassis panels. When they arrived the first thing I did was cover the painted side panels with clear packaging tape and trimmed the edges. This way when the side panels rub against the metal Losi frame the paint won't scrape off. A little trick that is helpful in preserving paint. Not that this thing stands a chance, I'm going to rally this thing to hell and back. It will only be pretty for another day or so.

At this point the crawler is just about done. All I have to do now is install an RCBros metal motor mount to harness this beast and some fine tuning of the suspension. I still need to move the ESC for a little more protection but this frame will do what I needs it to, very minimal, but comp legal .

What do you guys think. Any suggestions are welcome as I want to keep improving this thing.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Looks very nice! Quick question for you, do you have to have the front shock position all the way up to run the DMG chassis?
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

That DMG Tubework is awesome! What does something like that cost if you don't mind me asking, and do you have a link to their website?
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I think I answered my own question

The DmG's / A.L.T

Not a bad deal if the price is the same, awesome looking rig!
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Looks very nice! Quick question for you, do you have to have the front shock position all the way up to run the DMG chassis?
Right now mine is set on the 2nd hole closest to the center of the crawler. This is fine for me because I was running the 3rd or middle one before so it wasn't a big change. If someone prefers running the highest setting (furthest away from the center of the crawler) then this might not fit the frame, but you could discuss this with DMG.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Love the ALT
And I thought I could stop spending money on my lcc.

Do you have any issues with the rovers getting stuffed into the front shocks?
What is the overall width with the rover/ark combo?
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
Love the ALT
And I thought I could stop spending money on my lcc.

Do you have any issues with the rovers getting stuffed into the front shocks?
What is the overall width with the rover/ark combo?
A little... but way less than the stock foams. The Nova's make the tires way more narrow and taller, which displaces the mass of the tire upward instead of out the sides, which makes contact the shocks. With the Nova's the Rovers are just about the same width as the stock claws. When using the Nova's it is probably more important to focus on using the correct offset in the wheels. If your using the stockers you should be fine.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Did you not refit the Rocksmith kit on the tuber for a reason?

Kev
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I was going to ask if the dig servo sticks out past the chassis, but it looks like it does from the one pic.

I have the same tuber but with the MRC servo for dig and it sticks out too.

Looks good though!
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Kick ass thread for a newb like me! Great info and pics!
Mad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Sweet build!
Thanks for postin' up all the pix too. I check in every night to see what the next upgrade was. I am digging the A.L.T, that looks pretty sweet.
I got Rovers and Nova's Ark foams ordered for mine. Also got a proto-type dual stage foams for the Comp Claws. Judging by the pix you posted, I think those will work well.

One thing I have noticed in your pix is....it looks like you have an alignment issue (toed out) with the front wheels...or is that an optical illusion?
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote