Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

How long did the parts take to print? Where did you go to print them?
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

I work at a cool company that lets us use machines for some personal stuff.

The 3D print took about 90 minutes. The laser cut frames took about 10 minutes.

The drive ends for the Flex Shaft were machined out of 6061 AL.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Took another crack at the flex shaft last night. Got some new cable ordered up that is a bit thinner. It already feels a lot better. I will find out more when I mount it on the rig tonight.

An additional benefit of going with a smaller cable is it got much lighter.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Looks good, what are you using to hold the cable into the ends? Hope it works out.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I'll follow this thread closely. I'm sceptic about using flexible shafts for bi-directional rotation...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
Looks good, what are you using to hold the cable into the ends? Hope it works out.
I crimped the aluminum collar around the cable. I hope it holds. The LNC is particularly interesting for this application because the torque on the shafts is pretty darn low, due to the worm drive at the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle p
I'll follow this thread closely. I'm sceptic about using flexible shafts for bi-directional rotation...
I am still skeptical too, but I think it will hold up well. The amount of times I am in a high torque situation in reverse is pretty limited.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Brian View Post
The LNC is particularly interesting for this application because the torque on the shafts is pretty darn low, due to the worm drive at the axle.
I never thought of it that way, but that just makes sense. And why people at the comp this weekend (ALL AX10 drivers) were remarking about how small my LNC driveshafts are.

Interested in the outcome. I think I saw where CrawlBlack (I think) did the cable thing a few years ago. Don't remember the outcome.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
I never thought of it that way, but that just makes sense. And why people at the comp this weekend (ALL AX10 drivers) were remarking about how small my LNC driveshafts are.

Interested in the outcome. I think I saw where CrawlBlack (I think) did the cable thing a few years ago. Don't remember the outcome.
Yep it was The crawl Black that owned it (thread in here somewhere)

I built the rig for the nats in vegas a few year ago, it was Mikes idea I just got it to work for him, he retired the rig this year but I believe still runs one in his sporty
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Love the Lcc axles and using flex shafts.

You should see what I can do with wire!
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
Love the Lcc axles and using flex shafts.
Intrigued.....

Show us!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

A few white wires.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
MODERATOR™

Long time ago with TLT axles, the flex shafts would unravel themselves from reverse rotation.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Do you think shrinkwrap would help?
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
Do you think shrinkwrap would help?
If the flex shaft is double wrapped like my drill flex shaft. It should be fine.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Great parts! These 3D printers are kicking out some really neat chit these days..

As for the flexy shafts, I'm in! I have thoughts of thus bein a perfect shaft for a custom length shaft for my class 1 running mrc drive train, that mip's aren't long enough for.. :thumbup:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Worked on it over the weekend. Got Real links on it (instead of the acrylic mock ups). The flex shaft I made is looking good, but I cut is a little to short so I gotta machine new yokes to make another one.

Hoping to have it done for our first event of the year on Saturday.

Will get some pictures up later.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Got it nearly together. I botched the length on the first flex shaft so I need to make another one. Otherwise it is coming together nicely.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #38

Thats pretty awesome! Man the possibilities are endless with access to equipment like that!
LouisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Yep it was The crawl Black that owned it (thread in here somewhere)

I built the rig for the nats in vegas a few year ago, it was Mikes idea I just got it to work for him, he retired the rig this year but I believe still runs one in his sporty
Hey Guys,

Yep, you will find my Dual motor Losi build thread lurking in here.

As mentioned, Dan built the rig for me for the 2011 Nats in Vegas.
We turned up with it untested and had a few days before the comp to put it through its paces.

Worked great. No problems with the flex shaft at all with unravelling etc. I only had it on the rear which no doubt helped as typically it's the front that is asked to do the harder work when in binds.

That shaft held up for just over 12 months with regular monthly comps and the occasional social and practice run.

As you've already found out, they are quite a weight savings as well.

Build looks great. Good to see more development going on with the Losi. It's still my go-to choice for Sportsman.

Cheers,
Mike.
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Got the new feed shaft fitted on Saturday and took it out to a comp on Sunday. It worked great, even landed me first place. Has no problems with putting the torque down . It does take about a full turn to "load up" but with the worms it is not noticeable. The rear clearance it buys you is pretty awesome.

I will put some pictures up later.

Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM
My Class 3/ fun crawler calikrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 09-20-2012 09:14 AM