Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Lowering COG in LNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Default Lowering COG in LNC

Hey guys.
I'm a new owner on a lnc and a newb to crawling.

I have a bit of a read through the various posts on some easy upgrades to do. But i guess the obvious to me is lowering the cog.

Has any one have some pics showing how they have lowered the battery position down from the std spot.

I am looking at using a shorty lipo 2s packs from my 1 10 off road cars if it helps..
scotty_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Lowering COG in LNC

I removed the top battery tray and installed LCC shock arms. The battery is now on the front upper links and the receiver/ESC on the rear upper links. Jerry
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Battery tray:

Mounted:

Other ways to lower the COG:

Wheel weights (cheap, but not so good)

Knuckle weights (expensive, and great)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

you could get a new chassis. I just ordered an underground crawlers fastback 2 and plan on making custom links so I can run a lower cog. I plan on fabricating my own axle mounted battery/servo tray also. The Blue Monkey axle weights are awesome. You might not be able to run that many weights depending on what wheel you are running. Way bettter imo than wheel weights. No added rotational mass and not as hard on your drivetrain/motor/esc. Just make sure you are running a good servo with a bec.
B-radNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
mrG
RCC Addict

What are the dimensions of your battery. Most shorty packs I've seen are too big for a crawler.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

Cheers for all of the replies. They all help alot... I have only just got this crawler, so i plan to run it std then try with all the upgrades.

MrG yes the shorty packs i have are too big for low mount. But i have got some small 3s 1300mah packs also which i will use when i do the upgrades. Am going to change esc to a tekin rs and swap to 17.5t brushless also..
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
mrG
RCC Addict

The brushless system is a must with the losi. I will just through this out there, but get one of the big compositors. It doesn't have to be a Tekin (though that's probably the easiest) just make sure it has the proper uf rating. I haven't put one on an rs, but it was a noticeable difference with my dual fxr.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would disagree that a brushless system is a must for the LNC. I have been running the same Holmes 35t brushed motor for 3 years (on 3S for the last 2 years) and I do weekly comps. I resurface the commutator once a year. The folks I comp with have experienced similar life on their brushed motors. The most important thing to do with the LNC is to keep the worms well lubricated. Jerry

Last edited by jgrim; 01-27-2015 at 09:28 PM.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Front mounted electronics... I run my batt along side the motor inside the frame.

SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_h View Post
Am going to change esc to a tekin rs and swap to 17.5t brushless also..
Unless you already have the motor I suggest looking at the HH Revolver S instead.
I've just ordered a stubby and think it will do wonders compared to the cheap 17.5T motor I've been running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
I would disagree that a brushless system is a must for the LNC. ... The most important thing to do with the LNC is to keep the worms well lubricated.
Brushed motors can perform okay and survive for long. The key is not to run them too hard.
A 35T motor (as is the stock option) on 3S don't provide much wheel speed when geared for crawling, although I suspect Holmes' motors are better than the cheap Losi version.
Traxxas 21T Titan motors (550 size) will give more speed, but are heavier.

Lubricating the worm drives is not sufficient.

Last edited by Olle P; 01-28-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

As OlleP mentioned in another post... with speed comes great power loss in the Worm drive... So at slow speed, a brushed setup might be fine, but once you want a little more, you need a brushless system or you will eat motors fast.
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
The brushless system is a must with the losi. I will just through this out there, but get one of the big compositors. It doesn't have to be a Tekin (though that's probably the easiest) just make sure it has the proper uf rating. I haven't put one on an rs, but it was a noticeable difference with my dual fxr.
I run one of the larger capacitors on my RS, works like a champ. I used the one from Crawler Innovations, and got confirmation from tekin that it would work (won't warranty it, but it works). Runs 4s just fine, but I do not do it often.

I have had great success with brushless in both the LNC and LCC platforms (read: I have not run brushed). I have been very tempted to try brushed, but the only brushed motor that I would consider running is the Axle buster. That is a lot of dough to put out contrasting the great success I have had with brushless.

I am thankful for my early TC experience where any driveline friction will kill you. I spent some time making the tranny as friction free as possible, and with the help of Olle P's sticky (he pointed you to) my drive line is free and keeping components happy. Take the time on the driveline and your motors will be happier (Brushed or Brushless).
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #13

Cheers for all the tips guys ��
When i hey some time I'll have a party and let you know how it goes. Cheers!

Lowering COG in LNC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering your wraith cog kakachille Axial Wraith 2 01-25-2013 08:57 PM
Lowering COG Help Needed BMFOTP Newbie General 52 04-10-2009 04:59 PM
Lowering my ax 10 xxinterboyxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-15-2009 07:58 PM
Lowering ax 10 AXE 10 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 01-08-2009 06:35 PM
COG ?? You mean CG? crud Chit Chat 27 08-09-2008 02:40 AM