Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Jrs losi shafty slow build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jrs losi shafty slow build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
For my set I used a different setup for the locker .. the one axle I did do for someone else though I had the Losi shaft and the XR mig welded by someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
The problem is that if I remember correctly the axle bearing for the axial outer shaft doesn't fit over the losi inner axle tang so one you weld the two together you can't replace the bearing.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Thanks again guys, very useful info to have! I would like to come up with something to fill the need for this steering option!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Erie you have a pm.

149 r/c worx's Team Driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Erie you have a pm.

Got them, thanks!
Ernie
Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Nice build and great to see father helping son, mentoring, building RC cars and having fun! I remember my Dad helping me with projects and me 'helping' him with some of his projects, good times! Keep us updated.

Ernie, sounds like an interesting steering challenge.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

It will be, but snapon boy and I have been putting our heads together and think we have it figured out on paper. Now, the proof will be in the pudding. If I could get a few more users on board I would be willing to put a little $$$ into R&D.
And found out he has some great Dutch oven dishes!!!!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-20-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I can't see why others would not want in on it!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

I would be interested, but here are my concerns.

1. Another father of two here. Cost is an issue.

2. I have run STOCK Losi axles in every single scale crawler ive built since 2009. The only failures ive EVER had were a set (1 set!) of stock worms due to lack of lubrication, V1 axle shaft, and one axle shock mount. Thats it!
(CVD Pins dont count )

My point is, in all these years of trail rides, G6's, TTC's and SORRCA Comps,
My axles have been BULLETPROOF! And I attribute that to Losi's Engineering. The Axle Housing / C-Hub / Kingpin and Knuckle design, IMO, are practically flawless. The way the C-Hub fits over the housing ears and bolts through the face, deep into the plastic is key!

I have seen failure, upon failure, upon failure of Axial based rigs at these competitions due to the C-Hub / Knuckle design. Even rigs running Beef Tubes and Aluminum Upgrades. Yes, Vanquish too .

Everyone that I have seen attempt the XR-Mod (T.A.G., Youngblood, That dude from Australia) cut off these ears and machine a slip fitting over the axle housing (with splines for the Axial style C-Hub) secured with grub screws.
IMO, Its another failure waiting to happen. Especially now that Scale Comp builders are taking notice of these axles. Scale rigs are generally heavier and subjected to environments MUCH more harsh than a Pro-Shafty.

3. Axle shafts need to be complete RTR. Either machined 1-piece, or welded. Many "bolt-on kit buyers" don't have the capacity to MIG, TIG, or even measure.
T.A.G. had a sleeve for the two axles to be secured with red loctite. Ive heard of a few coming loose.
The Aussie had a similar sleeve, but used grub screws to hold the axle halves together.
Youngblood has (my personal) favorite solution, but it involves welding.

4.*(A Scale Point of View)*

The XR-Mod adds width to the Losi axle. For SORRCA Comps, these gates can be extremly tight! Many prefer a "Narrow XR MOD" for this reason. Just a thought.

5. *(Another Scale Point of View)*

The stock Losi axle gives 45* of steering throw. In a Scaler, with full frame rails, shock placement can be tough. Tire rub is a real issue.
I have been able to "max-out" my stock Losi steering, however...getting more than 45* is gonna be tough.
Even if you could manage 55* of throw with an XR-Mod, would it be worth the effort?

Thats why, after all these years, I've never bought a Losi XR Kit.
I could never justify paying $100.00 to compromise a Bullet Proof Axle Structure, futzing around hacking together two unlike shafts, just to gain (maybe) 10* of "useable" steering throw.

Not trying to be all Doom & Gloom, but even with Scale thrown into the mix. The amount of people actually USING Losi Worm axles in Scale are probably the same numbers as those still using them in Shafty.
Not Many! I bet we all know each other! Lol
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I would be interested, but here are my concerns.

1. Another father of two here. Cost is an issue.

2. I have run STOCK Losi axles in every single scale crawler ive built since 2009. The only failures ive EVER had were a set (1 set!) of stock worms due to lack of lubrication, V1 axle shaft, and one axle shock mount. Thats it!
(CVD Pins dont count )

My point is, in all these years of trail rides, G6's, TTC's and SORRCA Comps,
My axles have been BULLETPROOF! And I attribute that to Losi's Engineering. The Axle Housing / C-Hub / Kingpin and Knuckle design, IMO, are practically flawless. The way the C-Hub fits over the housing ears and bolts through the face, deep into the plastic is key!

I have seen failure, upon failure, upon failure of Axial based rigs at these competitions due to the C-Hub / Knuckle design. Even rigs running Beef Tubes and Aluminum Upgrades. Yes, Vanquish too .

Everyone that I have seen attempt the XR-Mod (T.A.G., Youngblood, That dude from Australia) cut off these ears and machine a slip fitting over the axle housing (with splines for the Axial style C-Hub) secured with grub screws.
IMO, Its another failure waiting to happen. Especially now that Scale Comp builders are taking notice of these axles. Scale rigs are generally heavier and subjected to environments MUCH more harsh than a Pro-Shafty.

3. Axle shafts need to be complete RTR. Either machined 1-piece, or welded. Many "bolt-on kit buyers" don't have the capacity to MIG, TIG, or even measure.
T.A.G. had a sleeve for the two axles to be secured with red loctite. Ive heard of a few coming loose.
The Aussie had a similar sleeve, but used grub screws to hold the axle halves together.
Youngblood has (my personal) favorite solution, but it involves welding.

4.*(A Scale Point of View)*

The XR-Mod adds width to the Losi axle. For SORRCA Comps, these gates can be extremly tight! Many prefer a "Narrow XR MOD" for this reason. Just a thought.

5. *(Another Scale Point of View)*

The stock Losi axle gives 45* of steering throw. In a Scaler, with full frame rails, shock placement can be tough. Tire rub is a real issue.
I have been able to "max-out" my stock Losi steering, however...getting more than 45* is gonna be tough.
Even if you could manage 55* of throw with an XR-Mod, would it be worth the effort?

Thats why, after all these years, I've never bought a Losi XR Kit.
I could never justify paying $100.00 to compromise a Bullet Proof Axle Structure, futzing around hacking together two unlike shafts, just to gain (maybe) 10* of "useable" steering throw.

Not trying to be all Doom & Gloom, but even with Scale thrown into the mix. The amount of people actually USING Losi Worm axles in Scale are probably the same numbers as those still using them in Shafty.
Not Many! I bet we all know each other! Lol
Very good input GIjoe, I know from following your builds you have done as much or more with the Losi axles builds than anyone else! So thanks a lot for taking the time to give such valuable input. My reason for even thinking about doing this mod isn't from a $$$ for a business venture, but more providing something of good quality that a few guys have been asking about. In fact, even though I have a blue star I only have it is so we can talk about design with out getting dinged. I love to tinker and do R&D in my shop. I'm pretty sure I would be doing sleeved and soldered married axles. I need to take a look how I could make a stronger axial type chub mount to the Losi axle housings. Thanks again.;-
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-16-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Hey snapon boy, work on the axle mod some after we got back home yesterday, getting close to a design concept. I need to order some parts from McMasters Carr and RPP to wok on a proto type. Right now they will be pretty close to stock width (8.25) from stub end to stub end. I know width was a concern of GIjoe so tried to address that. Strength was a concern, so tried to step out of the box a little. When I have a little more of the idea put together I will sent some photos. Like GIjoe mentioned, this may only interest a hand full of Losi guys.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-20-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Ok sounds good. No rush.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Jr has shift hubs so width isn't a big deal

Old 12-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Interesting ideas here guys...I'm intrigued!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Jr has shift hubs so width isn't a big deal

Trying to design these so they will be legal for scale, including the use of a brake rotor brass weight. I think the Vanquish knuckle weights are $50? Rotor weight would be a lot cheaper.
This set up would come with housing, as I need to mod them a little.
Ernie
Old 12-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Ok. Will you be using the losi chub or axial? I got the blue monkey brass weights now. However they can be sold.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok. Will you be using the losi chub or axial? I got the blue monkey brass weights now. However they can be sold.

I'm pretty sure it will be SSD scx10ii.

Jrs losi shafty slow build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Austin's Slow SCX-10 build Turned Slow Wroncho build austinc2099 Axial SCX-10 35 10-25-2018 09:38 PM
Slow steady Losi MRC Build up GhettoFabwork Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-12-2011 07:21 PM
Shafty or MOA Losi build? Mikeney Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 12-26-2009 08:12 PM