Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Official Reveiw,,,Pit Bulls "Rock Beast" 2.2 Prototype

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #121
RCC Addict

Well, after Pit Bull making me a deal I couldn't refuse (and dezmoon's review), I ordered a set also They should be here by the time I get back from camping next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work on the rocks around here
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
4 sets??? I only use 3 pair of 2.2 tires when making Super tires.

My X-Locks and my Super Rovers are working really well right now on the Super, so I'll wait until they release their own Super tire...or until I can find a set of these at a discounted price.

I'm going to try to stop looking at these and trying to picture how they'll work until I actually get a chance to run them.

My initial thought is that they're very wide and have rather large side lugs. this may be an advantage if you can use the side lugs to catch when trying to climb, but may also be a disadvantage if they catch a loose rock or crevice and drag you in.

I currently have them mounted on VP Pro Comp DH's for the front and VP SLW V4's for the rear w/ Nova's 2 stage foams.

I'll post up again once I have a chance to run them.
you wont be worried about how wide they are once you get the feel for em,,they did take a lil gettin used to,,but im hooked,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Well, after Pit Bull making me a deal I couldn't refuse (and dezmoon's review), I ordered a set also They should be here by the time I get back from camping next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work on the rocks around here
im glad they were willing to work with you on them,,you wont be upset with your choice,,,and im very glad i was able to help ....
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

I got about 6 or 7 minutes of run time tonight at my local comp spot.

Let me just say that I am impressed!!!

I didn't have a body or cab on, so I didn't try anything that required alot of wheelspeed, but I did try a couple climbs that I've struggled, but eventually completed with my Rovers. These Rock Beasts slow crawled every line that I tried. I'm really looking forward to getting these out for a better test. So far, they've far exceeded anything that the Rovers could do.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

sweet,,im glad your liking them...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #125
Pebble Pounder

I like the looks and the reviews of the tire. Has anyone tested them on a LCC yet? The are about the same price as the boss claws but I am looking for something a little different to run on mine.
80mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
A deal? I'm listening.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #127
I wanna be Dave

The thing that i noticed is that, along with sticking to the rock to more easily climb, they steer better than the Rovers. There was one spot that was a narrow sidehill transition with a sharp right to a steep, narrow climb. The Rovers would push instead of steering, and I'd end up with the left front pushing too far and I'd have to do a dramatic recovery (it really looked cool) to make the climb. I pulled up to that spot with the Rock Beasts, and they tracked straight and true, lining me up exactly right.

My T1e Bully is dialed in to the point where it will make climbs at ridiculous angles if I can just get traction. My initial feelings of these tires is that I just improved the angle that I can climb due to the traction that I gained.

Last edited by EvilTwin v2; 05-27-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
The thing that i noticed is that, along with sticking to the rock to more easily climb, they steer better than the Rovers. There was one spot that was a narrow sidehill transition with a sharp right to a steep, narrow climb. The Rovers would push instead of steering, and I'd end up with the left front pushing too far and I'd have to do a dramatic recovery (it really looked cool) to make the climb. I pulled up to that spot with the Rock Beasts, and they tracked straight and true, lining me up exactly right.

My T1e Bully is dialed in to the point where it will make climbs at ridiculous angles if I can just get traction. My initial feelings of these tires is that I just improved the angle that I can climb due to the traction that I gained.
awesome,,,
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #129
Quarry Creeper

The Pit Bulls seem to be shorter than the rovers, could it be that the climbing improved b/c of the lowered cg? I know when I switched to rovers from panthers, also shorter, my ability to climb went down. I'm glad to hear that they turn better though.

(from dezmoon)
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
The Pit Bulls seem to be shorter than the rovers, could it be that the climbing improved b/c of the lowered cg? I know when I switched to rovers from panthers, also shorter, my ability to climb went down. I'm glad to hear that they turn better though.
I really doubt that it's the deciding factor. My crawler is setup such that it climbs exceptionally well. When climbing extremely steep setions, unless you catch something with a rear tire, it will lose traction before it flips backward. If it has traction it will climb. I could probably even go to a taller tire without noticing the difference in COG of climbs.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #131
RCC Addict

ok so is everyone noticing an improvement in traction with these tires? if you are one of the reasons i believe would be because the tires are wider and therefore you have more tire on the rocks. am i the only one seeing it that way or am i way off here. not saying they arent a great tire cause ive never tested them but im just wondering if this could be a reason they seem to have more bite?
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
ok so is everyone noticing an improvement in traction with these tires? if you are one of the reasons i believe would be because the tires are wider and therefore you have more tire on the rocks. am i the only one seeing it that way or am i way off here. not saying they arent a great tire cause ive never tested them but im just wondering if this could be a reason they seem to have more bite?
they are as wide as the sedonas and rock grabbers,,,contact patch always has something to do with it,,,how ever its not the only thing,,compound,,lugs,,voids,,foams and weights need to be factored into the mix....the ROCK BEASTS just work,,
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #133
Rock Stacker

I can hardly wait to get mine. A dear friend is sending me them as a gift and you can never have enough friends that would do that. Ordered the Nova 2.5x2.25 doubledeuce ( actually ordered 2 sets by my mistake ) for these tires as per dezmoon review. Everything Pitbull is doing with any sort of tire is really a first class product. I bought my Pitbull Growler atv tires from Discount Tire Direct which IMHO are the best atv tires made today.

IMHO think dezmoon could put marshmallows on his rig and still defy the laws of gravity with his driving skills.
team sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #134
RCC Addict

after my rovers wear out ill buy a set of these just to be different. they work pretty good in dusty situations cause it seems thats all we have around here?
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
they work pretty good in dusty situations cause it seems thats all we have around here?
the few times ive had mine in the dusty conditions they worked pretty good,,,i just had to be mindfull of my wheel speed,,,there were certain times when we had real bad pollen dust covering the rocks and i had to give her a lil goose ,,but thats it
Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #136
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'm sure anyone who saw these in action at the Montana Scale Nats would say they work extremely well.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #137
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
I'm sure anyone who saw these in action at the Montana Scale Nats would say they work extremely well.
So are these a "comp" tire or a "scale" tire? I thought that comp tires were not allowed at the Scale Nats?
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
So are these a "comp" tire or a "scale" tire? I thought that comp tires were not allowed at the Scale Nats?
We believe the Rock Beasts 2.2 to be both a scale and comp tire. That was the objective...one tire to rule them all...hahahahahahahahahaha.
THEPITBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #139
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
They were allowed. Warpig ran them too. They worked great today in TTC today too.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #140
'08 2.2 National Champ

In the TTC at Montana Pit Bull tires took first and second