Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #301
Rock Crawler

I've fitted them to Mayhem Double Phatty and VP DH Comp wheels with no problems the SLW v3s though...........the 1.0 were ok but the 0.7 where much harder to fit, have only had issue with one side though which appears to be mishaped, took a lot of time and huge number of retries to get that one side to seat properly, once done though it was easy to refit the next time
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #302
Y-Town Crawlers

Here's something I tried at the Nats in Oklahoma.

Cutting some of the lugs out allowed the tire to grab better on sharp ledges and rocks. I haven't had a chance to try this set out on my local comp areas, but it was a big improvement in Disney. This is definiltey worth trying if the Boss Claws aren't hooking up on your local rocks...
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #303
Rock Crawler

Default trimmin'

I did some trimming as well. 1200 little lugs. lol. 300 per tire. Here is a pic of what I'm working with. Pretty similar to Jakes but figured I'd share.
Attached Images

Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #304
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post

Cutting some of the lugs out allowed the tire to grab better on sharp ledges and rocks. I haven't had a chance to try this set out on my local comp areas, but it was a big improvement in Disney. This is definiltey worth trying if the Boss Claws aren't hooking up on your local rocks...
great minds think alike, I tried that at our last indoor comp, huge difference rip rap and even sandstone
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #305
5th D Owner/Driver

Are you guys cutting the lugs off only the front tires or all 4?
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #306
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StIcK kInG View Post
I did some trimming as well. 1200 little lugs. lol. 300 per tire. Here is a pic of what I'm working with. Pretty similar to Jakes but figured I'd share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Are you guys cutting the lugs off only the front tires or all 4?

Do the math
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #307
Y-Town Crawlers

I took some lugs off of all 4 of my tires.

As I suspected, they didn't grip as well as my uncut Boss Claws at my local crawl spots. (High traction granite)

The cut tires definitely pulled harder in Disney though. Its worth trying Boss Claws aren't hooking up on your local rocks.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Haha....Nabil left those little lugs all over the floor of my room! I felt bad for the cleaning lady....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Haha....Nabil left those little lugs all over the floor of my room! I felt bad for the cleaning lady....
Damn rubber ants were everywhere!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #310
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Damn rubber ants were everywhere!
Those damn ants are at my house now, I think I had a few attached to my groin or something.

Here's my Boss Chops, not as extreme as the others but they do hook better on the rubble, rubble.

Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #311
Rock Crawler

Default Lookin for more heavy throttle traction...

- I haven't snipped any lugs yet, but (those that have tried it...) do you think that it has helped with high wheel-speed traction?

I'm trying to replicate the Rovers great ability to steadily progress up a rock face under higher wheelspeed.

- As for mounting them, it was a royal pain with the stock pink foams, but super easy with the Nova DD's. The Nova foam just held the bead in the right place!
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

I've been trying to mount them on the stock Axial wheels with Proline 2 stage foam and let me tell you. I am ready to throw them out the f'n window. These are the most difficult tires I have ever mounted.
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #313
RCC Addict

Hmm, didn't have any problems mounting other than a user error on one of the wheels. I didn't get the bead in all the way, so I unscrewed each screw so there were a few threads remaining, eyed the bead through the gap in wheel/wheel ring, found the spot where it wasnt seated, (obvious it was smashed between ring/wheel, and not in the bead like it should be) so I gave it a little tug, pushed it back in (with screws in still in tact) and slowly tighten beadlock screws evenly and visually watched the bead being seated through the gap of wheel/bl ring. I am still confused on why people have issues. If these give you greif, i highly recommend you stay away from panther cougar super softs ;)
wheels- vanquish 1" wide slw3s
foams-stock
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #314
Y-Town Crawlers

Cut up another set to test out here in Socal.

These tires pulled very hard at my local spots. Much better then my first set of cut tires. Right now its a toss-up between these and my worn in set.

Last edited by Del Monte; 10-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #315
Got Worms?

I've been thinking but have you guys tried expanding the side wall lugs to the outer edges of the contact patch and having pins in the center. Also what type of terrain are you getting on better traction on with cut boss claws.
Heres a vid i took while testing my new radio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zijg6...eature=related

Its probably my foam set up (proline oversized front) stock pink rear. But it seems my front doesn't have enough forward bite to drag the rear end up stuff. I'm thinking chopping off some pins like your above pic may help get some traction on the rocks.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #316
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I've been thinking but have you guys tried expanding the side wall lugs to the outer edges of the contact patch and having pins in the center. Also what type of terrain are you getting on better traction on with cut boss claws.
Heres a vid i took while testing my new radio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zijg6...eature=related

Its probably my foam set up (proline oversized front) stock pink rear. But it seems my front doesn't have enough forward bite to drag the rear end up stuff. I'm thinking chopping off some pins like your above pic may help get some traction on the rocks.
How heavy is your rig? Since I've dropped a pound or so out of my truck, I've had to go to a much softer rear foam then stock.

Also, the Proline oversized foams are pretty soft for the front tires. Maybe try adding some thin slices of standard foam to keep the front tires from collapsing too much?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #317
Rock Crawler

XR10 Stock truck with high clearance rear lower links at 5.3 pounds:

Boss Claw tire
wheel/foam setup
Front: VP V1 .7 wheels with 4.75 ounces of added weight with Proline dual stage memory foam
Rear: VP V1 .7 wheels with no added weight and full Nova foams

I have breather holes in all wheels. This setup worked perfect for me and I took 2 first place and one second place finishes with the setup. I left the tires alone. These tires are very smooth and predictable.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #318
Got Worms?

Quote:
How heavy is your rig? Since I've dropped a pound or so out of my truck, I've had to go to a much softer rear foam then stock.

Also, the Proline oversized foams are pretty soft for the front tires. Maybe try adding some thin slices of standard foam to keep the front tires from collapsing too much?
Its heavy, its a potato shape, not hour glass. Also i've considered putting the harder compound in the back to loosen up rear traction.

I thought about getting stiffer foams but soon were gonna have 0 and below temps so theses memory's should be rock hard.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #319
Rock Crawler

Damn.... this is going to take forever. Off to cutting
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #320
Rock Crawler

I cut up an extra set as pictured above from Jake. They work extremely well. I feel the same, it's a toss up between these and my worn set.

For foams I chose a Losi memory w/ side wall support from slices of regular grey rock claw foams. Mounted on DH's w/ four sluggs. Totaled 14.1oz

Rears were standard rock claw foams. Mounted on SLW's, no extra weight added. Between 6 - 7 oz
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote