Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #241
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Great pics guys!

That is pretty similar to the foam setup I am running. If you need more support for front foams, try adding a slice of standard foam on the outside of the tire
thanks
guidetti_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #242
Got Worms?

These tires worked amazing, i pulled so many lines that my rovers can't do and so many other lines they stuck better than the rovers. Only problems i had with them was there's a couple of lines that need less traction and just let your crawler slide down and these stuck to the rock and caused the crawler to roll over. I also noticed on a v shape ledge with an major undercut about 10 inch tall these i don't know why but they didn't want to go down smoothly like my rovers did, i could make that line every time with my rovers i tried that line 5 times with the boss claws and i only made it once. But hey i'd rather take a roll over from going down hill than not finishing a course because you can't make it up a hill. Oh i forgot my foam setup. rears i'm running stock foam on proline 8 shooters and 1 wrap of weight (its wide piece, not sure how much one wrap weighs) and the fronts are also mounted on proline 8 shotters with 2 wraps of weight and proline oversized memory foam with 1/2" of rover foam on each side of it. My car weighs alot and i think it could still use some more sidewall support but i works great right now so i may leave it unless i see the side walls are giving me serious issues.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #243
Ty
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered some of these, where is a good starting point for a sub 5 lbs berg for foams. Maybe stock sedona foams for the front and stock losi pinks in the rear. Thanks TY
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #244
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctz28 View Post
I just ordered some of these, where is a good starting point for a sub 5 lbs berg for foams. Maybe stock sedona foams for the front and stock losi pinks in the rear. Thanks TY

Sub 5lb berg? That's a light berg! probably the same setup i'm gonna try on my near 5 lb sss-R. Single stage mems up front and Nova DD's out back
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #245
Gold Star Baby!

Well I guess its my turn to reveal my Claw set up..actually I have been watching a certain someone in our club run these with a light rig..he liked them then didnt like them..we worked out a trade and I ended up with a brand new pair..Lets just say..WOW !!!!!!
My crawler weighs 6.2 lbs-WheelWorks wheels and of course a V3 Beetlejuice chassis...
set up as follows: rear stock Losi claw foam..pink I think and now for the kicker..Frt is a special foam I have been using for some time..pool noodle foam..
with stock rover foam..it gives me the right density that I preferr..
I will be doing further testing...but as for now I am impressed with my set up..I also would like to thank everyone in this thread for there input..I have read this thread a couple times..even tho I was sure my set up was going to work..all the info helped me make it happen..
Marc
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #246
'08 2.2 National Champ

My set showed up today. I got them mounted up following suggestions with some tweaks of my own. I think I found my new favorite tire I only have a bit of front yard crawling but even with slightly wet tires I was making it up lines that I was struggling on with other tires.

Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #247
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
My set showed up today. I got them mounted up following suggestions with some tweaks of my own. I think I found my new favorite tire I only have a bit of front yard crawling but even with slightly wet tires I was making it up lines that I was struggling on with other tires.
How wide are the wheels ur running??
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #248
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tklan Crawler View Post
How wide are the wheels ur running??
They are quite wide, over 1". I know a lot of guys like really narrow wheels but I like wider wheels.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #249
Rock Crawler

How do they perform with wide wheels?? I was thinking of running my boss claws with stock width axial wheels.
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #250
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
How do they perform with wide wheels?? I was thinking of running my boss claws with stock width axial wheels.

I haven't ran them on anything else but so far performance is awesome!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #251
Got Worms?

Quote:
I'm running mine on proline 8 shooters, i'm not sure of the width but they seem to run good, they run more lines than my rovers do. They may run better with narrower wheels but i don't have any so i don't know.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #252
'08 2.2 National Champ

I have a few more packs though them now. I'm very impressed, especially considering there was wet sand all over them.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #253
Rock Crawler

Looks great Zach, I dig how smooth they are, no bouncing like a typically lugged tire.
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #254
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have a few more packs though them now. I'm very impressed, especially considering there was wet sand all over them.

My new favorite crawling pic. Thanks!

I'm going stir crazy waiting on my set. Bought used and there taking a bit to get here but the plan is trying a super soft setup on my fronts with UCW's.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #255
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:

That pic is badass. Reminds me of a drag car tire.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #256
I wanna be Dave

At what point of wear do you think these are done? The pins on mine are getting pretty hairy and fuzzy looking. It could have been the kind of rock I was on the last couple of times out, but i coudln't get the tires to perform as well as what they have been.

I run some toe in, and I can definitely see more wear on the outside half of each front tire too.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #257
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
At what point of wear do you think these are done? The pins on mine are getting pretty hairy and fuzzy looking. It could have been the kind of rock I was on the last couple of times out, but i coudln't get the tires to perform as well as what they have been.

I run some toe in, and I can definitely see more wear on the outside half of each front tire too.
I think it depends on what kind of rock you're running on. I'm still running my set from the German Nat's and they're working great. Fresh sets seem to work a little better on slick river rock stuff though.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #258
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post

Got any pics?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #259
RCC Addict

Frustrating..

I told a friend that these were the next best thing since sliced rovers and we have yet to mount one. Two brands of wheels, foams narrowed and stock width, two- four hands, trimmed flashing, rubber bands, dusty tire, washed tire, and nothing is working. I've build wheels just fine before these. It's like the design relies on just the ring pinching against the rim.. They just pull out. There's about 5 hours into these and only the face of a wheel can be mounted and it's still not perfect.

Sounds like he's putting his up for sale but this worries me that I won't get them on my rims. Sorry to vent here but I've read and re-read this and team drivers threads for tips and so far any style isn't helping us in our situation.

Beadlocks tried so far are stock lcc's and some Tense that were narrowed to .7
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

I had some trouble mounting mine, I run them on stock LNC wheels, but I had a buddy give me a hand and we got them on without too much trouble. Think it took us about an hour to get them mounted but getting the first one done was the hardest. Once we figured out a technique, the other 3 went on alot smoother.

Try putting a roll of electrical tape or another wheel under the wheel your trying to mount the tire on. Then have a buddy push down on the tire while you mount the beadlock ring. The Boss Claws do take a bit more patience to get mounted but it's doable so keep at it.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote