Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tall comp tire vs shorter comp tire!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tall comp tire vs shorter comp tire!!!

Here is a place for open discussion on the effects, positive or negative, on running taller or shorter comp tires!!!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Taller tire = more ground clearance
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tall comp tire vs shorter comp tire!!!

Shorter tire = less ground clearance
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i found that if you go to tall the truck wants to roll over backwards on step inclines. I had to add weight the my wheels to help but did not prevent it from rolling over
bdth9447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

No tires = No ground clearance.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Practice practice practice......and once more ,practice with your tire set up ! Knowing how your rig handles in different terrains and certain situations is a huge plus....

Ive been into this hobby for quite a while and in the first year of crawling I must of went through every tire and suspension set up known to man!!!

Spent crazy amounts of money and tweaking but still wasn't able to pull lines that other guys were....they stuck with one or two sets of tires and the same shock set up!

I wouldnt go with a flat iron in a comp but you get the picture right?
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Seems most people I have seen who tried the hybrid tall tires ended up going back to a regular tire. The new Voodoos may be different so we'll have to wait and see when the reviews start coming in.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have seen the new 2.2 Rockbeasts in action on a comp rig and I must say I was impressed for them being marketed as a scale tire. Their height is a turn off though. At 5.75" they are just too big for a comp rig IMO. I run 5.5" tires on my 2.2 Pro rig and from what I've experienced anything taller in certain situations would be of hinderance. Those gates where you've gotta maneuvar part of your rig under a little ledge, shorter tires are of no issue clearing. A taller tire offers more ground clearance but at the same time heightens your COG. Unless your track width is 2 foot they are gonna give you problems on sidehills. I owned an LCC for about a year and when I first purchased it I retained the stock Rock Claws which were 5.35" tall. While they maintained a lower COG they just didn't have that little bit of extra reach when needed and reduced ground clearance.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
ahhh S^*T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
I have seen the new 2.2 Rockbeasts in action on a comp rig and I must say I was impressed for them being marketed as a scale tire. Their height is a turn off though. At 5.75" they are just too big for a comp rig IMO. I run 5.5" tires on my 2.2 Pro rig and from what I've experienced anything taller in certain situations would be of hinderance. Those gates where you've gotta maneuvar part of your rig under a little ledge, shorter tires are of no issue clearing. A taller tire offers more ground clearance but at the same time heightens your COG. Unless your track width is 2 foot they are gonna give you problems on sidehills. I owned an LCC for about a year and when I first purchased it I retained the stock Rock Claws which were 5.35" tall. While they maintained a lower COG they just didn't have that little bit of extra reach when needed and reduced ground clearance.

I agree with this. shorter tires will have advantages in spots where you need to put the tire under a lip, as where a tall tire will bind up. sidehilling is not near as good with a taller tire that with a short tire.

but a tall tire may just go up and over something a short tire would go under and bind up in..

tall tires wrinkle up easier.

in the end tho it depends on your foam, weight, rig and driving style and skillz.

if your a good driver, a short proven tire will be the way to go. if you have a well setup comp rig you dont need the extra ground clearance a tall tire gives you. your driving skillz should get you over bumps that would hi-center a newb witn BIG tires. blipp the throttle, and be smooth and slow.

I like shorter tires on my scalers and past comp rigs.... are you a tall tire guy?
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I really want a set of cut n shut Voodoos. Everything but their height look great. I'd really like to see a cut n shut set run side by side with a normal set.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
I really want a set of cut n shut Voodoos. Everything but their height look great. I'd really like to see a cut n shut set run side by side with a normal set.
............. ..............
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
www.ottsix.com

Just so we're all on the same page, Voodoo's are exactly 5.5" tall...which is exactly what everyone asked for
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Just so we're all on the same page, Voodoo's are exactly 5.5" tall...which is exactly what everyone asked for
Don't worry Matt, I like the height of the tires. It's nice to finally have a true 5.5" tire
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
www.ottsix.com

I hear that....for a 12.5 wb , IMO, a true 5.5 ultimately feels correct.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Don't worry Matt, can't please everybody. Some people could be given a million dollars, and would complain it was'nt 2 million.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
RCC Addict

This is not a voodoo bash thread! I am very excited that Ottsix worked so hard to give the overall customers excactly what they ask for! I like my boss claws and have my doubts about any advantage of a 5.5 over a 5.35, but I will get a set of silver dots and go to work on them! I love everything about the design of the voodoo tire other than the height. I spent a long time with a set of khaos tires, but I think with it being a glue on sidewall, the voodoo will have a better behavior. The khaos seemed a little weird and I think it was the sidewalls being glued like they where. I personally believe that it boils down to the terrain that you comp at. If I did alot of comping on rip rap with gaps and wedges, then I would definitly want a bigger tire. I set this thread up as an open descution on pros and cons of taller and shorter tires, so people can look on here and decide witch way to go with what kind of terrain or driving style they would be on. It's venders like Ottsix that keep this sport so good, and I don't want anyone to think this thread is bashing them or anyone else!!!

I'm sorry ottsix if this seemed like a thread to target you, that was not my modive. I will be purchasing your product in the near future!!! Thanks again for the hard work to give the masses what they wanted!

Last edited by Tgreer; 05-16-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
I hope my cut n shut comment didn't ruffel any feathers. Like I said I think these tires look great. I have ran tall tires in the past and wasn't a fan. Maybe these work better tall then they would short. That's where my cut n shut comment came from. Try short Voodoos side by side with tall Voodoos. Not Voodoos vs BCs but tall Voodoo vs short Voodoo. Maybe you will come out with a second size of the Voodoo?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I personally believe that it boils down to the terrain that you comp at.

Well said, taller or shorter it is just another tool in your toolbox. I have run both tall and short tires and they have different jobs for different situations.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
www.ottsix.com

I like to see this as well, that'd be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
I hope my cut n shut comment didn't ruffel any feathers. Like I said I think these tires look great. I have ran tall tires in the past and wasn't a fan. Maybe these work better tall then they would short. That's where my cut n shut comment came from. Try short Voodoos side by side with tall Voodoos. Not Voodoos vs BCs but tall Voodoo vs short Voodoo. Maybe you will come out with a second size of the Voodoo?

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 05-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Tall comp tire vs shorter comp tire!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
-- Crawler Innovations - 4" Tall, 1.9 Comp, Panther SC Raptor Pin Tire Cut N Shut -- Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 9 10-02-2011 10:14 AM
what makes a 2.2 tire a COMP tire durrty Tires and Wheels 11 12-30-2010 07:52 AM
Pin Tire with Comp Tire Sidewall - How To Write up Kraqa Tires and Wheels 16 08-27-2010 11:55 PM