Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SandPaws in snow, sand, and water. Tape? Vent or no vent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Default SandPaws in snow, sand, and water. Tape? Vent or no vent?

n00b here. I bought 3 VXL Stampedes for myself and my 2 boys for Christmas ... figured this would be fun father-son activity :-)
For Christmas finally introducing my boys to the world of @traxxas RC trucks :-) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I also purchased proline sand paw tires and desperado rims since it's winter here in Michiana and the stock tires didn't look like they'd offer much soft snow grip...which we verified to be true.

I've searched the interwebz and this forum, but haven't really seen anyone specifically talk about sand paws and venting.

While we'll run the trucks in the snow this winter, we live pretty close to sand dunes so we'll be hitting the sand and beach those once the weather warms up. My boys have already found videos of RC trucks hydroplaning so I know they'll want to try that at some point too LOL!

These desperado rims are already vented and I do plan on using the foam inserts that came with the tires. Should I put 2 vent holes in the sand paws or seal up the holes in the rims? If it stays sealed, I'm curious if it will deflate much/any going from room temp out into the cold?

Also are people putting duct tape in the sandpaws to reduce ballooning or are they stiff enough already?

TIA,
Jason
fizzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

Default Re: SandPaws in snow, sand, and water. Tape? Vent or no vent?

I got impatient and decided to go with no tape and no venting of the tires ... also put electrical tape over the wheel vents.
Tested them tonight in the snow and they ran great!
Aaron and I got our trucks a little snow covered tonight #RCfun | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Also experimented with 2 vs 4 Sand Paws. 4 made a HUGE improvement.

I'm still curious to hear what folks are doing for sand though. Figure I can unglue these once winter is gone if venting the tire is what folks recommend.
fizzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run 2.2 sand paws on my foff truck, and 2.8 on the rear of my Glamis Uno. I don't tape as the sand paws are pretty stiff anyway. Leave them vented, but had no problem with sand or water getting in.

Pro line mohawks work well on the front of the glamis.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you vent the tire, a small hole in the tread carcass, the tire will sling any water or sand that gets in. In snow unvented tires shrink and get flat spots. More of a problem with crawlers than go fast.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

SandPaws in snow, sand, and water. Tape? Vent or no vent? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to vent or not to vent freakofnature Tires and Wheels 19 01-31-2011 06:15 PM
Vent HBs or vent the rims or both? boisetrucker Tires and Wheels 10 12-27-2009 05:58 PM
Poll: To vent, or not to vent... that is the question... Katon Newbie General 20 12-23-2009 10:29 AM
New Tires... To vent, or not to vent??? sportpak Newbie General 27 05-08-2008 01:13 PM
Just need to vent SVEN Chit Chat 15 03-03-2006 04:08 PM