Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: PRO-LINE new TSL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: PRO-LINE new TSL

The rules are silly as far as whats legal and whats not. Example, RC4WD IROK 2.2 releases as a 5.8 tire, people complain its not legal RC4WD responds by changing the description (not the tire size) to 5.75. Boom its now legal even though everyone knows its larger than 5.75. Heck I had a set that said 5.8 on the tire! Pitbulls same story, as long as the literature says 5.75 its legal even though we all know they are bigger. Proline says 5.8 and rules dq them. We all know the tires are bigger than 5.75 but its ok if the company fibs on specs
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

It is a grey area as rubber isn't as rigid as steel. You can alter tire height with supporting foams.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

I'm curious as to what percent of tsl buyers are even aware of this rule. I suspect not many, as even on this forum which represents a more involved user base than the average consumers still has a small number of complaints.

Furthermore a shorter listing may actually hurt sales as it is currently the tallest (listed) 2.2 tire available. In sum, change the dumb rule not every tire size listing
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Reactions and experience to competition should drive rule making, not whatever a manufacturer decides to do.

No reason to complain to them about it, there are plenty of options.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #145
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Unsurpassed traction.
voodoo surpasses them ten fold. however these new ones are nice just got me a set for my jeep.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #146
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Too bad that they're so huge, or listed as such anyway. I went with the standard 2.2's again, as my rigs hit the occasional comp. Didn't realize proline was so out of touch with the sorrca rules...
Probably because pro line probably doesn't give a rats ass about sorrca? Not everyone cares about comps there fella.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

A rat's ass seems harsh, I'd hope they aren't completely ignorant. Competition is a driving force in pretty much any hobby. Otherwise anything crawler we play with currently wouldn't even be manufactured.

Everything from rule compliance to durability has driven pretty much every product today.

If you don't care that's fine, but being ignorant about the driving factors of innovation is ok too.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #148
Quarry Creeper

you sure got a whole lot out of me saying proline doesnt care about comps. maybe i am wrong considering ive never actually face to face met another person who even likes rc rock crawling. what percentage of people who would generally see these tires and more so all crawling related products go to comps? im legitimately curious im not taking a stab at you.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Any answer to that question on my part would just be speculation. Best I can do is offer that tsl's are a popular tire from what I've seen others run, with good reason because they work. Anywhere from 20 participant 10 gater comps to 150+ participant g6 and endurance comps. All sorrca rules btw.

Every manufacturer would do good to try to offer products for the serious and not so serious hobbyist alike. That line is the difficult part.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunder463 View Post
voodoo surpasses them ten fold. however these new ones are nice just got me a set for my jeep.
Have to disagree 10 fold. In our area (same as djjiz) the swampers are superior to any voodoo or pitbull (except the voodoo pin tires). I won 1.9 and 2.2 trail last season running 1.9xl and 2.2 std. Just hooked lines guys with pits couldn't. The voodoo U4 tires on a trail crawler were unimpressive. Even with CI foams. I'll be running the 2.2xl this year and keep the stds available if I feel like going back. Our club runs off a modified usrcca trail class rule, not sorrca.

I don't thing proline ignores sorrca. But it doesn't mean they listen either. The tire is competitively sized and they likely won't go back and change their mold to change what is printed on the sidewall like rc4wd would. You have to realize that proline has a huge market base due to there racing heritage. So when people look for scaler or crawler stuff, they may start with proline and don't care about sorrca rules. Plus the Dang tires just do work. Great tire and great performer. It would be interesting to know proline scale tire sales volume (1 model, 3 sizes) vs rc4wd with tons of models. I would bet that no single tire model comes close to the proline tsl in sales. Now rc4wd or pitbull may win in overall scale tire volume.

If proline listened to what us on rcc had to say, they'd change the damn bead design first if anything

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
...If proline listened to what us on rcc had to say, they'd change the damn bead design first if anything

Dna
Probably the best logic so far
Old 12-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

Here's another wrinkle to this topic, I understand the rule is 5.75, and it's advertised as 5.8, but if you used a smaller foam and the tire on the truck measures less than 5.75, is it then legal or still a no-go ?
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #153
Quarry Creeper

A no go as long as proline says they are 5.8
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

I would think you can argue it... It can say whatever it wants on the tire, but it you hold a ruler to the tire and it's only 5.5" than it meets the criteria and should be allowed . I'm just playing devils advocate here, but I'd like to hear from a sorrca rep why that's not legal
Old 12-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Truism, listed spec is what the rules go by. Makes it easier for tech in.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

ehh.. i still dont buy it.
from a legal stand point, advertised spec and real world application are not one in the same. tell a cop your window tint is legal because the box says so when he is holding a meter to your window taking a light measurement, and you are still getting a ticket, right?
like i said, just devils advocate, but if we take tech as seriously as "banning" a tire, shouldnt we actually measure one first? we all agree that the p/l foams are rediculously oversized, so is this why they fail. i know when i swapped foams, they visibly lost diameter. im going to get a tape measurer....

im not trying to argue, just trying to get a way for guys who want to run them, to be able to...
Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #157
Rock Crawler

I keep my trucks on blocks to prevent flatspots, and I still see 5 5/8, I even held the tape to the "peak" on the starcut in my foam
Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

I can tell you haven't spent much time standing in line at tech. If the ruler had to come out for every truck 4x, things would get complicated and time consuming real quick.

As was said, some don't care about comping... Which is perfectly understandable. However it's a much more streamlined process to go by advertised specs if you do.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #159
Rock Crawler

oh but i have, i think it would only take one sorrca rep with a ruler to change the ruling on this tire, or perhaps proline advertising a real measurement rather that going with the mine is bigger than yours sales philosophy...
Old 12-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

Ask away. The same conversation about the 2.2 irok comes to mind, rc4wd changed the site before any real discussion took place iirc.

PRO-LINE new TSL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pro-line tsl 2.2 tires scrap value Tires and Wheels 4 09-25-2011 05:24 PM