Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Closed cell foam in rear only?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Closed cell foam in rear only?

Has anyone gone to the extreme of using closed cell foams in the rear and dual stage up front? I find that my SCX10.2 doesn't crawl steep inclines very well with one reason because it seems to squat under power and then back flips. Besides link geometry, the reason for the squat seems to be that the rear tires (naturally) grip a lot more than the front on climbs because of the weight transfer. So could putting very firm foams in the rear decrease rear traction enough to help prevent back flips?
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Closed cell foam in rear only?

I have not tried this, but it sounds like a good idea.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I was recommend the CI closed cell for trail use. Once I started running them I found that they caused to much bouncing around for rock crawling. However I liked the stability side hilling on dirt.

I ended up replacing the front with two stage foams and keeping the rear as the single stage. The truck was much more stable in the rocks, because the front end normally was the end with the impact and still worked pretty well side hilling.

I found that it was a good mix for how and where we run.

That being said, I have experienced your issue with the front lifting off the ground. That was fixed by gearing and suspension changes. I resolved this prior to the foam change so I can not say if the rear foams helped. But they did add additional stability to the rig.

I have done this set up on two rigs. A deadbolt with forward mounted motor and a ground up build with forward mounted motor and rear leaf springs. To be honest with you the deadbolt crawls like a champ, but the leaf spring rig is really good climbing steep rocks and hills.

I think the difference is the stiffer suspension, the rear of the truck does not squat when power is applied.

This is what works for me, it doesn't mean that it is correct.

Deabolt is using PB madbeasts, the ground up is using PB rockbeast, the rear foams definitely made more of a difference with narrower tires.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 07-07-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys for your input. I'm going to try this setup especially because there's no real overdrive/underdrive option for the SCX10.2. So if I can decrease the rear traction, maybe I can re-create at least some of the benefits of OD/UD gears. And I agree with the stiffer rear suspension also playing a part on very steep climbs.
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Might I suggest asking the expert on foams ?
Eddie at CI has forgotten more than I've learned about foams. I run a stiffer foam in the rear, but for bashing/speed the closed cell are great, as they don't allow the softness to slow things down. Tires are critical also.... some combinations work better.

Ask Eddie !!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I was recommend the CI closed cell for trail use. Once I started running them I found that they caused to much bouncing around for rock crawling. However I liked the stability side hilling on dirt.
I agree with that! Closed cell foams are too bouncy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I used to run closed cell but didn't find them all that impressive. I've switched to two stage and I am very happy. I don't do brushless speed runs or water for what it's worth.

I've read a number of times people running closed cell foams in the rear for exactly what you described. At the end of the day, for how cheap they are give it a try and report back so we can all benefit from your experience. Even better, take a couple videos of the spots giving you trouble, before (with two stage) and after (with single stage) for a visual comparison.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Closed cell foam in rear only? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I.'s Deuce's Wild 1.9 Single Stage Closed Cell Foam urnot2brightru Tires and Wheels 14 06-29-2016 04:28 PM
Trimming CI closed cell foam Odd-M Tires and Wheels 5 04-10-2015 12:31 AM
Tuning CI C.I.'s Deuce's Wild Single Stage Closed Cell Foam noname0383 Tires and Wheels 5 02-22-2014 06:39 AM
Crawler Innovations SS closed cell foam for Pitbull 1.9's ROLANDROCKSHOP Tires and Wheels 18 08-17-2013 05:52 PM
Cheap closed cell foam tire mod. Werty Made Tires and Wheels 15 01-11-2013 08:10 PM