Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tire test

Seen this https://youtu.be/HQagc9mKHbw
I can't believe the stock tires did a lil better than the rest ???? No can't be ?

Last edited by Frank211; 12-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Tire test

The ProLines finished last? Seems like a flawed test. Nobody crawls on plywood to begin with so this doesn't have any application in the real world.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ridiculous excuse for a tire test. I rarely get openly annoyed and rant on this forum, but that's one of the silliest things I've ever seen. Tires are terrain-specific, for the most part. Some happen to work on many different types of surfaces. Testing needs to be done utilizing that important fact. Tread patterns, tire compounds, and tire width/diameter will affect results, as will wheel weight/width/diameter. Sheesh!!!

EDIT: And, how could I forget, FOAMS!

Last edited by durok; 12-20-2017 at 11:28 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

well i sort of feel its okay, but yes the test need to get expanded to other surfaces, so on YT i have recommended sand paper in different grit size to simulate dirt and maybe rocks, or maybe something else that can be glued to a thin sheet of wood that in turn can be screwed to the wooden ramp.

Also a uneven surface will be good for testing the "hooking" of the thread lugs, again you will need a surface with rounded edges for the tire to grip and a surface with sharp edges for the tires to grip.

And ideally you will want to do the test indoor in a temperature stable environment as i found on my test spot that temperatures even just a few degrees lower can turn a good tier into a no go tire.

And off course it should be stipulated that this are a static test and results may vary when you get out there in what ever environment you have to drive in.
Me for instance i have pretty much 0 rock where i drive, so it is dirt in degrees of compactness and clay content.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It's still comparing apples to oranges... Cover the wooden ramps with a layer of ACTUAL rocks, another with dirt, and so on. Sandpaper is another thing you won't find in actual real world crawling, just like sheets of wood.

The tests should then be repeated many times in controlled temperatures and humidity, with the tires being chosen to be the closest in overall diameter (Class 1 tires, then Class 2, and so on).

All tires must use same compound and type of foams and be mounted on the same wheels (within the size ranges).

Repeat tests many times, and also blind tests are needed to rule out bias.

OR................. just run what you've heard works good for your terrain and/or those you like the looks of... and don't run the ones made by companies whose business practices personally annoy you!

I, for one, don't mind running a harder tire to make controlling wheelspin to be part of the challenge but to have the tires last longer. I have almost nothing but rocky terrain.

If it was all purely about performance, we'd all use huge diameter ultra-soft pin tires that have been sprayed down with sticky tire sauce at the beginning of each run.

It can be fun driving within limitations, just as many prefer the challenge of smaller wheel & tie combinations.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree but its hard to do it with actual stuff, or maybe you could glue some small stones to a sheet of wood, but then again who ever drive up a small stone incline incline.
Thats just as much not happening,
But like NCAP tests it just give you a base line, in real life it is far from the cars crash just like they test in NCAP.

I will agree on that it would be best if the tires was fitted on the same wheels and using the same foams, but that will just be a monster task that will be hard to ask anyone but a person / company with the time and money to burn.

And while we can also agree on that aftermarket foams might be a lot better than stock foams, then both are what people run.
Myself for instance i have just gotten my first CI foams ever, in the past 10 years i ran stock foams, and i was pretty happy with that.
And i also still saw a difference between some tire and another tire that probably had the same stock foams as they was both rc4wd so the difference in performance i must have seen there are in the rubber compound ( if different ) and the thread.

The test in this video i pretty much see as a test for the most sticky compound, i am almost sure if he put 4 foam on road wheels on that car, or maybe some soft rubber slicks, and added a little tire spray they would climb to the top.
I am also sure changing the surface to something maybe just a little different the outcome will be different too.

I myself have contemplated a harder compound tire too, not least since ottsix tires are pretty much impossible for me to source out near here in the soft compounds that's always sold out.
And i also think with the dirt i drive in tire stickiness might not have that much of a say, cuz the tire are covered in dirt most of the time and anyone who have driven on a beach and then tried to go up a rock lying there know you have to "burn" the sand off the tire before you go anywhere up that rock.

So me personal i tend to gravitate away from tires with a compact pattern, though the DC mud / country i ran for a long time was that kind.
But i like something that clear the thread pretty fast, and at best wont take all my 35T and 3S setup can give of wheelspeed to clear the threads.

I think people should be skeptical about just about anything, and take what they think they can use from such tests.

Where i used to test tires i found out one spring day that in the sun my triers worked just fine (Chisels ) but as soon as the sun was no longer on the cobble stone embankment i was barely able to get up 1 foot.
And also while that embankment looks pretty uniform, then some places on it i just could not go up no matter what tire i used, but 10 inches to one side was no problem, so you need to test the exact same line every time, and that's also why i in the end drew a course up it with wax crayons.

Last edited by Peaker; 12-23-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Plywood test? I only would do such a test while in my backyard where there no more rocks around there.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I believe the guy in the video do say that where he is ( Florida ) they do have wood on all of the "tracks" he visit,

After the crawler and it only being challenged a tiny little bit on artificial places, then after changing to scalers then i find it pretty silly to drive on a prebuilt "track"

But some places i come you can stomp a path in the dirt deposited there, and you can make it as challenging as you like, and its pretty sure that the next time you arrive you will have to start over on the DIY scaler course.
And most days i cant really be bothered with stuff like that.
So i play helicopter on google maps and find places that look interesting from above, and then i hit the road in my car.
But even that are often a dud as Denmark are after all pretty flat, and a forest floor with a thick layer of leaves are no fun even if you are lucky to find a place that's not too flat.

And the horse or MTB trials are often uneventful too,and not least the pedal pushing MTB people are arrogant and stupid - selfish ( a lot of self-censored foul words )
Old 12-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Test 2,wet?! very shocking, TRX4 tire???
https://youtu.be/O3QOHpFjcbw
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Again, a pointless exercise.

Whatever.

I seriously hate YouTube sometimes...
Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Again, a pointless exercise.

Whatever.

Lol..... 👍
Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

Yes. LOL
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire test - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 tire test Crawlininga Tires and Wheels 54 11-05-2014 03:33 PM
2.2 Scale tire test War Pig Tires and Wheels 53 04-24-2014 03:32 PM
Tire test 1.55 mudslingers ROLANDROCKSHOP Scale Videos! 7 03-06-2011 11:44 AM
Axial 2.2 Rock Lizards Tire, tire test rockwerks Tires and Wheels 1 05-27-2007 03:02 PM
LOTS PICS, Shock test, Narrow Wheel Test, Tire Pattern Test, LOTS inside Mutt General Crawlers 9 12-28-2005 09:30 PM