Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Landmines 1.9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Landmines 1.9

3rd test yesterday at the lake with a mix of rocks, some sand, and lots of sandstone formations to crawl on. the Landmines worked better than most of the tires out there. lots of Hryax some Tsl's and some Krawler T/a. they even ran all the lines some ottsix tires ran. For sure my new go to tire
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #102
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Got my landmines 3 days ago (4 pair). I think I will need 6 to make 4 so I will have spares if I mess up or don't like donor sidewalls. Started cutting to make 2.2 comp tires. The tread looks narrow enough to use as is width wise. Not sure how they will perform after glued to Sedona sidewalls. I may try Rovers for one pair and Sedonas for second pair. I don't have any Voodoos kicking around to use sidewalls. Haven't heard much on how everyone likes them as 1.9s. They seem pretty soft compound wise. After they are put together and I get to try them, I will let you all know how they work. Like I said before always looking for new tire for my comp rigs. I also have e a set of Pitbulls that may work well for the side walls. Liking the tread and compound so hope they work.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #103
Gold Star Baby!

Here’s some video of my Capra with landmines and CI 4.5” lil novas. These replaced KLR/Ms in red compound with the ottsix 3 stage foam and the difference was noticeable, these landmines had considerably more grip.

Really happy with the tire and going to grab another set to try on the trx4 once they become available again

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #104

I'm still waiting for Tower to ship the set I ordered on December 7th.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Here’s some video of my Capra with landmines and CI 4.5” lil novas. These replaced KLR/Ms in red compound with the ottsix 3 stage foam and the difference was noticeable, these landmines had considerably more grip.

Really happy with the tire and going to grab another set to try on the trx4 once they become available again
That's impressive since the red is the softest compound for Ottsix! I look forward to trying my tires once I find something to put them on. The Capra is probably the best option since they are large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I ordered mine directly from JConcepts on December 3rd and they were delivered December 9th. I'd definitely reach out to Tower about that one.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Me too, but I'm not in a rush. I have it bundled with something else I got and using the holiday coupons so.....
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

I ordered a set through my lhs around mid December and I’m still waiting on them to come in. It seems that there weren’t that many sets originally made and the orders off of j concepts website were the first ones to get them (makes sense ordering direct). The expected arrival dates keep getting pushed back at all the major online retailers. I have at least 2 more months here in buffalo before the weather breaks and I start getting the itch to get back outside. If I don’t see any progress with the tires back in stock by then I’ll make another choice. But for now the wait game continues.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #108
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's impressive since the red is the softest compound for Ottsix! I look forward to trying my tires once I find something to put them on. The Capra is probably the best option since they are large
I thought it was impressive too, but overall I was underwhelmed with the KLR/M for my application.

I’m no tireologist, so take these thoughts with a margarita rim of salt, but I think the compound itself is good and it’s more the tread on the KLR/M impacting the performance. I also have some KLR X4’s in the red compound and those grip better than these M’s did and I think it has to do with the lugs on the tire.

The M lugs are very spaced out which will help in loose dirt and gravel situations but I’m wondering if the absence of so much material is giving it less contact surface for actual grip compared to a tire with closer and siped lugs like the X4. There are a lot of differences in those tires though so I could be off base, but I think the M would be a better tire on something that uses a more wheel-speed to get around the rocks like a bomber or maybe a wraith. Unfortunately I don’t have any of those rigs so may end up selling or trading these M’s.

Anyhow, at the end of the day the landmines did considerably better on the Capra for me and are sticking (pun intended) around.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I thought it was impressive too, but overall I was underwhelmed with the KLR/M for my application.

I’m no tireologist, so take these thoughts with a margarita rim of salt, but I think the compound itself is good and it’s more the tread on the KLR/M impacting the performance. I also have some KLR X4’s in the red compound and those grip better than these M’s did and I think it has to do with the lugs on the tire.

The M lugs are very spaced out which will help in loose dirt and gravel situations but I’m wondering if the absence of so much material is giving it less contact surface for actual grip compared to a tire with closer and siped lugs like the X4. There are a lot of differences in those tires though so I could be off base, but I think the M would be a better tire on something that uses a more wheel-speed to get around the rocks like a bomber or maybe a wraith. Unfortunately I don’t have any of those rigs so may end up selling or trading these M’s.

Anyhow, at the end of the day the landmines did considerably better on the Capra for me and are sticking (pun intended) around.
I agree that compound and tread both have to be good. They work together. When one is poor they both suffer.

I have the regular KLR's in silver and they're OK - too hard for my liking. I plan to get a set in red, but they're always OOS.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Me too, but I'm not in a rush. I have it bundled with something else I got and using the holiday coupons so.....
Same thing here. We're buried in snow with more on the way, so it's not like I have any chance to use them anyway. It's just frustrating that I'm coming up on 2 months, meanwhile JConcepts has them in stock and is fulfilling orders. It seems like they would want to keep their retailers supplied first.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #111
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Same thing here. We're buried in snow with more on the way, so it's not like I have any chance to use them anyway. It's just frustrating that I'm coming up on 2 months, meanwhile JConcepts has them in stock and is fulfilling orders. It seems like they would want to keep their retailers supplied first.
Unfortunately I ran into JC stuff being on back order when I was running my friends hobby shop. It seems like they come out with new tires weekly which to me means more back orders because they still can only produce so many tires per month and the more new means that total will just go down on availability.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #112

Quote:
woo! My landmines finally shipped!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #113

Quote:
woo! My landmines finally shipped!
I take that back. It was a different order. The Landmines are pushed out until March.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I take that back. It was a different order. The Landmines are pushed out until March.
That sucks...but, once you do get them, you won't be disappointed.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #115

recently had a chance to try the landmines, they are a awesome going to be replacing my iron sides wit them soon.
fomocosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Hopefully, they'll release a 2.2 version...preferably sooner, rather than later.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #117

2.2 version would be nice for sure.
fomocosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #118

Last edited by Ethan503; 02-23-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Ethan503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Is there any known update on when landmines are going to be available??
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
Is there any known update on when landmines are going to be available??
I'm still waiting for the set that I ordered on December 7th. You'd think that JConcepts would fill their vendor orders before they keep selling their stuff direct.