Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3D modeling/rendering software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #1101
RCC Addict

Another problem is who will stop someone from purchasing a file then passing it out to everyone who wants it or selling the copy they bought for cheaper to get their money back.

I originally started the thread to share CAD drawings and ideas and to see who else was drawing RC stuff. Maybe even help out people who were hung up trying to draw something. Then the library started of STOCK parts. Problem was, some parts had A LOT of time invested into drawing them accurately. For someone to be able to just download parts and start producing parts from that model without even having to purchase the part itself didn't sit right with me. Someone's word only goes so far.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #1102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Another problem is who will stop someone from purchasing a file then passing it out to everyone who wants it or selling the copy they bought for cheaper to get their money back.

I originally started the thread to share CAD drawings and ideas and to see who else was drawing RC stuff. Maybe even help out people who were hung up trying to draw something. Then the library started of STOCK parts. Problem was, some parts had A LOT of time invested into drawing them accurately. For someone to be able to just download parts and start producing parts from that model without even having to purchase the part itself didn't sit right with me. Someone's word only goes so far.
You're right on both accounts. And I totally agree with you, I wouldn't give someone one of my models if I thought they were using it to make money. I know for myself, I've never used another model to make money. Any measurements I needed were taken with calipers from the actual product I was basing it off it.

But you're stepping into a new territory. If someone sells their models, it's the seller's responsibility to make sure his models are used as intended. It's not this web site's responsibility.

If they don't want their model resold, then they would create a purchase policy so that the user must agree to it before purchase. You're also talking about pirating, which is no new subject when it comes to the internet. Unless you live under a rock, everyone knows about pirating and MP3s.

If you're really interested in continuing the virinity of this thread.. Maybe consider taking it to a private website and only give certain users (those you trust or agree to a user policy) access to it.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #1103
RCC Addict

I agree with you also about it not being this site's responsibility for what is sold. (to an extent). I'm sure there are vendors here offering CAD services. It's probably up to those vendors if they want to send out 3D files to clients or not. RCC has nothing to do with any of that.

The idea isn't to continue this thread to sell CAD files. It's still to post images and discuss CAD related topics. It just happened to be a recent subject being discussed.

For the people drawing files who don't want them shared in fear of them being passed around, they've stopped sharing. There are a few people out there offering CAD services. Pretty easy to find who those people are.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #1104
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
I agree with you also about it not being this site's responsibility for what is sold. (to an extent). I'm sure there are vendors here offering CAD services. It's probably up to those vendors if they want to send out 3D files to clients or not. RCC has nothing to do with any of that.

The idea isn't to continue this thread to sell CAD files. It's still to post images and discuss CAD related topics. It just happened to be a recent subject being discussed.

For the people drawing files who don't want them shared in fear of them being passed around, they've stopped sharing. There are a few people out there offering CAD services. Pretty easy to find who those people are.
I guess I just got pulled into the tail end of it huh.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #1105
RCC Addict

Sticky subject all around .... I can truly appreciate the time and energy it takes to do cad work. I can also appreciate the concerns of pirating and not being paid for your time.

I'm in need of a complete Ax-10 axle drawing, that can be imported into Solidworks 2005. No internals. Just the housings, carriers, and knuckles. I need it to mock up shocks and linkages. Please contact me at the e-mail below with a quote.

Thanks!
Jake
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #1106
20K Club

This thread amazes me sometimes, we sure as hell hit on just about everything in here :-P

It would take a lot of work to get all of that stuff setup...............and I am glad I don't care to do it

I can't believe I haven't posted this yet!

My new comp chassis:

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #1107
20K Club

Temp skid

Last edited by Harley; 03-25-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #1108
20K Club

Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #1109
RCC Addict

Looks good Harley! why not angle the front and back edges of the chassis instead of having 90 degree angles? Seems like they could get hung up easier?

This is what I have been working on. We're starting an Extreme 1.9 class

Don't mind the bruiser axles. They're all I had laying around to see what the 10.5" wheelbase would look like. we're allowed 5" OD tires in the class too so obviously slingers won't be the first choice.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #1110
RCC Addict

I guess I can post this project too since it has to do with CAD.

I like go-fast trucks too. This is an E-maxx chassis I have been working on.

The initial chassis cut and prototype fit great so it's back at the shop getting trimmed up, narrowed some and having a few more holes added. Also having the new lengthened braces cut too.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #1111
Quarry Creeper

Are those a123's in your rendering? Plenty fast for sure then.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #1112
RCC Addict

Yup. 5S1P. I'll be running a MM with the 10xl until the MMM comes out. Not fast really. Only around 25mph so that it won't draw over around 85A. After the MMM comes out then the cell quantity will go up along with the speed

Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #1113
Quarry Creeper

Ahh, I'll add a little quick render I did.....nothing special just messin around.

Nick, I'm with you on the file sharing. I've spent many a long nights measuring parts...and "if you have the skill to design, you can take the time to model it just fine"

HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #1114
RCC Addict

wow that sure is pretty!

Last edited by NickRummy; 03-25-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #1115
RCC Addict

Very nice..
Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #1116
20K Club

The rendering is very nice, what application did you use?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #1117
RCC Addict

Well, I finally decided to take a flip through this thread and see what all these CAD drawings are all about. What a neat thread. Also took me about the better part of 2hours to read.

Now, the one question I had about getting a 3d model of an axle is.... How do you guys actually do that?

How do you take something physically in your hands and create a picture of it on the computer? I think I saw one post about taking a photo and importing it into the program to "3d-ize" it or something. Otherwise, do you guys just measure, draw, measure, draw etc the axle or whatever part until it looks identical to the plastic part in your hand?

What is used to draw also? Do you just use a mouse and keyboard and click around the program, just like in photoshop kinda thing? Unless there is some kind of a pen/tablet accessory that you use to "doodle" the drawings onto the computer screen.

I guess my 17" CRT in 1024x768 would suck for using this program..lol.

Oh .. just for Harley ... " does anyone know where I can buy the program from". It think it has been a few pages since that 5150 guy has asked where he can get it. hehe.

Keep up the good work guys!
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #1118
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
taking a photo and importing it into the program to "3d-ize" it or something.
WE WISH!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #1119
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
WE WISH!
Rofl .. well that basically summed up my question in 2 words.

How many hours are/were spent to "draw" up one axle? Lets just say the WK axles since I'am most familar with them.

I dont think I could ever do it. I tried to learn html years ago. The "how-to" book I bought .. umm dunno where it went. *sigh*
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #1120
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
The rendering is very nice, what application did you use?
Hey Harley, it's PhotoWorks, which is inside Solidworks Professional. I've been using Solidworks since 1996, and boy has photoworks improved. And 2008 is even better to get lighting and textures applied. We haven't upgraded to 2008 yet, but soon. This was just a 5 min render with limited options turned on. I still have materials to apply and decals to add to fill in the rest, but it look cool anyway. Now I just got to get going on the rest. I've been waiting for the body to be 3D scanned so I can really get the design down.

Nerve - look up Parametric Solid modeling if you want to know the whats what. Most CAD modelers are this type, and if you are not in the industry, it's not something to dabble in. Time depends on skill level, and complex geometry adds alot of time. Also, there are many ways to create the same geometry, so that is also a consideration. If you want to dabble, try google sketch. There are other nurb based modelers and graphics programs, but those are not intended to be mechanical in nature.
HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote