Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Shop Holmes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #421
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Shop Holmes

Not something I want to risk for million dollar drones as a first try. How about a crawler esc first, they won't fall from a low earth orbit.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #422
I wanna be Dave

It has to be a tough decision to get rid of the lathe, that machine opened up your production and R&D capabilities to a new level. Could you sub it out and retain access to it for your needs?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #423
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Also just learned I've been selected randomly for an IRS audit. My undergrad in accounting finally pays off, my books are a cinch to run because of how I set up and use accounts. It's still burning up days of time to deal with.
I worked for a CPA firm for years doing audits, taxes, and bookkeeping so I have dealt with the IRS many times. I can say if you have a basic knowledge of accounting (and an undergrad in accounting puts you well beyond basic), then your records are probably better than 75% of small businesses (I have seen some incredible accounting incompetence out of small companies). Audits go much quicker when the auditor knows they are working with someone knowledgeable.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It has to be a tough decision to get rid of the lathe, that machine opened up your production and R&D capabilities to a new level. Could you sub it out and retain access to it for your needs?
Subbing it out is a huge risk of machine damage, with minimal monetary gain. In my part of the country there are very few machine operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I worked for a CPA firm for years doing audits, taxes, and bookkeeping so I have dealt with the IRS many times. I can say if you have a basic knowledge of accounting (and an undergrad in accounting puts you well beyond basic), then your records are probably better than 75% of small businesses (I have seen some incredible accounting incompetence out of small companies). Audits go much quicker when the auditor knows they are working with someone knowledgeable.
Good to know. I have multiple accounts to usher the flow of money in defined paths, essentially a real chart of accounts. One account is just for paying myself, everything non business goes into there before spending. Makes it super easy to calculate capital gains.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #425
I wanna be Dave

How goes things?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #426

Made the big decision, lathe is getting sold. Primarily, I learned yesterday that the uav contract would not renew in full. We wil supply some raw parts, but won't have a need to make housings. I am also getting burned out on being a machinist as a second job. No machine means I'll be back to just one business and task to worry about! I'm quite looking forwards to that. Might farm out lockers and outputs, might just let this be all she wrote.

So with a huge hole in my shop and nothing to worry about, what is next? I'll be hunkered deep into software development and attending to our smaller, yet more productive tools. The little taig mill is extremely useful, although painfully slow. I'll probably upgrade it to servo motors so there isn't the constant worry of losing steps and ruining a part. I'll probably get a 3D printer, finally!

Feels like I'm ready to start college again. Nothing but free time, no worries, and learning in front of me. A good businessman knows what he is good at. A great businessman knows what he is not good at. While I'm a decent machinist, it wasn't the right place for me to spend so much time.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #427
I wanna be Dave

Well as much as I'd like to see a castle based BLE with an aux function a full on Holmes ESC would probably be the only thing that I'd replace a castle ESC with. Hopefully you can make it programmable via Android and USB OTG or wirelessly

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #428

i guarantee that every smart phone and computer system will be compatible for on the fly programming.

But short term, we will still use Castle for OEM needs. They make fantastic products.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #429
I wanna be Dave

Somehow hitting the "like" button didn't seem appropriate, but I'm glad to hear that you're looking at the positive side of it! How's the Hobby House coming along? I really enjoyed the documentaries on the progress.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #430

Lathe is officially sold! should be outta here Jan 2. That was a bit quicker than anticipated. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the huge hole the shop will have.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Somehow hitting the "like" button didn't seem appropriate, but I'm glad to hear that you're looking at the positive side of it! How's the Hobby House coming along? I really enjoyed the documentaries on the progress.

Closing one door gives the opportunity to open another. Although I anticipated a 5 year run with the machine, 2.5 years was still a lot of learning and experience to draw from. It's a bummer to end it early, but at this point I don't NEED the machine for anything. An asset that is not used becomes a liability.

Hobby house is stalled out the last few weeks. Tax audit threw me off. My wife also insisted that I work on our house too. So the past few weeks have been building a wet bar in the basement on Tuesday and Thursday. Getting me pumped up for soldering new copper into the hobby house shower!
Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #432
Pebble Pounder

^ lol man you think once you get done with school everything flows like a river but problems do come up and as a business major and minor in finance and marketing what your doing is best like to hear that things are still on the up and up and i know you'll find a new toy or tool to fill that spot hope things start to really shine in the new year for your company and self.
Foxracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #433

Thanks. Thats a decent summary of what's happened

Big old empty void where the lathe sat. I feel like anything is possible! More workshop and inventory will fill it back in fast.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #434
Rock Crawler

You must live in the southern hemisphere.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #435
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
You must live in the southern hemisphere.

Ahahah, thought the same...:-)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #436
I wanna be Dave

How's the Holmes Hobby Hut coming along?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #437
I wanna be Dave

Did you ever finish the Hobby House?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #438

Not finished, but usable with kitchen and bath. Still needs a little floor and wall work. I'm getting 25 tons of rock dropped off tomorrow to start backyard crawling course construction.

Finally got the shop rearranged after moving out the lathe, just today. We were waiting on the landlord to Sheetrock the walls to fix old crumbling ones. Next at the shop is building an office for myself.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #439

With nice weather comes yard work at the hobby house. I'm quite excited for the work, it will let me flex some creativity of landscaping that is really just for crawling. I'm calling them raised landscape beds.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #440
I wanna be Dave

I thought you were going to break down that bulk rock and market bags for home crawling courses !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote

Shop Holmes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to shop???????? KNIFE Newbie General 21 08-11-2010 02:08 PM
Who wants a shop near Kc blazin396 Missouri 6 07-23-2010 11:47 AM
Where to shop Jigsisme Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 09-03-2009 11:02 AM
who knows this Shop ecodriver Tamiya Clod Buster 0 01-03-2008 12:49 PM