Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Rotary tool, which one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Rotary tool, which one to buy?

I dont really care what brand rotory tool you choose. While I subscribe to the buy a tool once montra. These tools are all relatively inexpensive. If my dremel breaks before I feel it served me well, I'll be buying a different brand the next time.

The most important thing to remember, imo is a right angle attachment, and variable speed. These tools are useless to me with out them.
Prop Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

I bought the Wen rotary tool kit with flex shaft on amazon, cant remember the cost but it works great.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
I dont really care what brand rotory tool you choose. While I subscribe to the buy a tool once montra. These tools are all relatively inexpensive. If my dremel breaks before I feel it served me well, I'll be buying a different brand the next time.

The most important thing to remember, imo is a right angle attachment, and variable speed. These tools are useless to me with out them.
Before oscillating tools were commonplace, I would agree.

These days, rotary tools are relegated to sanding or grinding as far as I'm concerned. If any type of cutting is required, an oscillating tool, as far as r/c is concerned, does a faster, cleaner, more accurate job.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #44

I've had decent experiences with HF. I had a 4.5" grinder that I beat for a few years before it gave up. I also had a full size winch that I worked pretty hard and it never gave up.. I don't trust their hand tools because I value my fingers. If you're not going to rely on the tool for income and you're just using it for hobby stuff I'd save some money and grab the HF stuff.

Variable speed for a rotary tool is pretty beneficial though.
nothinspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #45
Rock Stacker

I have a Dremel 400XPR that I've had for at least 8 years with not issues. Variable speed is a must and I haven't thought about a right angle attachment yet. I do have the flex line for it and its came in handy a few times. Go with the Quicklock attachment for the cutting and sanding bits. Its a lot easier to change and the blades are stronger. The small flimsy blades will foul you up if they come apart; I have the scars to prove it. The reinforced blades are a must for me.
I haven't looked too much into the oscillating tools too much, but my buddy uses them a lot and he loves them.
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
I have a Dremel 400XPR that I've had for at least 8 years with not issues. Variable speed is a must and I haven't thought about a right angle attachment yet. I do have the flex line for it and its came in handy a few times. Go with the Quicklock attachment for the cutting and sanding bits. Its a lot easier to change and the blades are stronger. The small flimsy blades will foul you up if they come apart; I have the scars to prove it. The reinforced blades are a must for me.
I haven't looked too much into the oscillating tools too much, but my buddy uses them a lot and he loves them.
I love my dremel 400xpr and I am going to add the flex line to my kit. I agree with what has been said above and spend a few more dollars on the actual dremel and don't waste your time with the Harbor freight one. A buddy of mine had one and had a difficult time keeping the collar tight so the bits would slip.
campbell990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

I use a Grizzly flex shaft grinder. Flex Shaft Grinder | Grizzly Industrial Has plenty of power, variable speed. And has held up like a champ! I use it for everything. I also use small end mills for cutting, they work great too. My two cents...
lv-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

I started with a cheap cordless rotary tool from Harbor Freight and ended up tossing it in the garbage. I now have a Dremel 3000 and that works great and has plenty of power
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #49

I use a corded Dremel. It has been good for me. Still kicking like new.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Dremel 3000 or 4000 and you will have it years.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #51

i bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotar...rch_detailpage

cheap and works great!
Wrapter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rotary tool, which one to buy? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Rotary Tool? alexchen86 Tools, and Procedures 21 10-12-2010 12:32 AM
Your rotary "dremel" tool finds/suggestions KNIFE Tools, and Procedures 33 06-19-2010 02:24 PM
drill / grinder / cutter / rotary tool recommendations? matador88 Tools, and Procedures 6 04-08-2010 05:59 AM
Good rotary tool? (dremel type) gopher Tools, and Procedures 31 05-23-2007 10:17 PM