Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Initial machine purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

There's a local guy here selling a fairly new Sharp mill with digital X, Y, Z and power quill/table for 5K. Wish I had the money, that's a pretty sweet deal.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #42

Default Check This Out

I have not had any experiance with the TIAG. But, I have had a lot of success with the Sherline CNC Mill Systems. If anyone intrested go to Sherline.com.
crawl2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #43

if i had the money id be buying it! lol
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
I'm using that Sherline like clockwork.

Lathe + Vertical milling column = WIN!
I'm in the market to buying one , say $1500.-2300

Are these high quality, good options
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...78557&PMT4NO=0
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...98802&PMT4NO=0

Can you give us a link to your lathe/mill and some others ?

I'm bewildered trying to figure out what lathe mill combo to buy :-( Any advise/tips ??

thanks

PS
Sweet avatar damm thats hot
how'd you post it?

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-06-2007 at 04:00 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Found another Combo, pretty good capabilities on the lathe part, not to bad on price , under $1200.
EDIT Scratch the above
here it is a lot cheaper
http://www.metalorwood.com/store/scr...dproduct=80811

Grizzly- almost identical to above, except broader lathe speeds
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4015Z

Any opinions ? Shop fox M1018 small Combo lathe Mill

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-08-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Trying to figure what good quality machine to go with

Anybody heard of these ?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...7567&PMCTLG=00
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

General advice: Buy as big as you budget will allow, and remember to reserve about $1k for all of your tooling.

If you are serious about buying a machine and would like to look towards quality and reliability then talk to the guys on cnczone.com, lots of good advice and a very wide range of experience.
xaruum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #48
I joined the Band!

Default cnc

what kind of stuff you building with this machine, are they as versatile as they say or will it sit in the corner of my shop with all my other cool tools i dont use enough.
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #49
RCC Addict

One nice milling accesery that is affordable is a 5C collet block set.There are 2 in the set ,1hex shaped on the outside and 1 square.5C collets are one of the most versitle tools in the shop.You can buy blank ones to make custum sizes and shapes for holding work.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #50
RCC Addict

One nice milling accesery that is affordable is a 5C collet block set.There are 2 in the set ,1 hex shaped on the outside and 1 square.5C collets are one of the most versitle tools in the shop.You can buy blank ones to make custum sizes and shapes for holding work.Measure twice and cut once! Sorry about the double post.....computers are not our friends !
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

this might be a dumb question...But I bought a Integy 65t Lathe Motor.....Then I hear people talkin about a mill and lathe machine.....does this have anything to do with the motor being a lathe motor.....and what is lathe anywayz?
tribalfreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Ok well I guess this thread is going to be no different than any of the others I have posted in. It's like there is a little pop-up on everyones computer but mine that says....do not reply or talk to tribalfreak06.
tribalfreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Sorry bout that,if ya don't know that's probaly why ya asked eh? A lathe and a mill are metal cutting machines.A "lathe motor" refers to the method the coils were wound in an electric motor( I think). Go to electronics and search " Lathe motor" And go to google and search machine tools to learn about Mills and lathes ! I could be wrong about everything I say ....trust nothing and enjoy learning !

Last edited by Cave Dave; 01-21-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #54
RCC Addict

In R/C the term "Lathe Motor" refers to a 540 size motor that would be bolted into a comm lathe that can run off of 12volts directly. Usually, you would run the lathe off of 4 or 5 cells (but they run out of juice and need to recharged often). A comm lathe is used when rebuilding r/c motors.

These lathe motors turned slowly compared to a 27 turn motor, so they worked well for the comm lathes. And then, they worked great for the first crawler guys.

They have nothing to do with lathes and mills that do machining.

Jake
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #55

2 minors points:
the vice jaws / parallels issue.... when I worked with CNC production machines, we allways put aluminum jaws in the vices (made out stock roughly 1 by 2 by 8 or so) and just milled a nice step through them which made a perfect place for the work to sit - garunteed (sp) straight and level with the table. You could even modify it with a cross cut which you put a piece of keystock into to make a stop to set your x and y axis for doing a production run.

The other item is t-nuts and studs set with clamp bars for holding odd work piece directly to the table -http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcategory.asp?category=Toolholding%2FWorkholdi ng&supercategory=Machine+Clamping+Kits&subcategory=XACT+52+Pc%2E+Clamping+Kit+for+Bridgep ort+Machines&type=False&specs=True like these:
but maybe home machines can't use 'em.
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #56

im using a CNC Barron from cncmasters.com
paid 8500 for everything. Software, tooling, etc. Its CAD CAM compatible!
GREAT machine. have done multiple transmissions. accurate to the .0001"
Andrew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew32 View Post
im using a CNC Barron from cncmasters.com
paid 8500 for everything. Software, tooling, etc. Its CAD CAM compatible!
GREAT machine. have done multiple transmissions. accurate to the .0001"
I've been around CNC machinery all my adult life and the Barron CNC is the smallest machine I would consider for what you guys are doing with the RC parts. A smaller machine could be used but rigidity and HEFT is a must!! The mill is based on a solid imported mill that's been around for years. The manual version of the mill, available from Grizzly and others would also be a great addition to anyones shop.
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
I've been around CNC machinery all my adult life and the Barron CNC is the smallest machine I would consider for what you guys are doing with the RC parts. A smaller machine could be used but rigidity and HEFT is a must!! The mill is based on a solid imported mill that's been around for years. The manual version of the mill, available from Grizzly and others would also be a great addition to anyones shop.
Got a link, I will prob end up going with a tormach mill.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Got a link, I will prob end up going with a tormach mill.
I've seen them at the tool shows. I mill a lot of titanium and tool steel so I went with a bigger machine. Tough materials can really beat up a smaller machine. If all you're going to mill is aluminum and softer material the Tormach will work great. I have a machine made by CNC Automation. They are put together by a company in Mass based on an import machine just slightly larger than a Bridgeport. Instead of the quill being the Z axis as on most machines like this, the CNC Automation actually drives the knee instead. This allows the quill to be used manually, like a regular mill. It also provides much more Z travel.

http://www.cncauto.com/ProductInfo.a...X-3V-KNEE-MILL

It's great for the very limited production and one of a kind projects that I do. It can also be used as a manual machine and with the balls screws, it's amazingly smooth! I also have access to a larger, enclosed machining center if needed. For me it was a big investment but it SHOULD last forever.

Last edited by FL Knifemaker; 06-20-2008 at 06:33 AM.
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
I've seen them at the tool shows. I mill a lot of titanium and tool steel so I went with a bigger machine. Tough materials can really beat up a smaller machine. If all you're going to mill is aluminum and softer material the Tormach will work great. I have a machine made by CNC Automation. They are put together by a company in Mass based on an import machine just slightly larger than a Bridgeport. Instead of the quill being the Z axis as on most machines like this, the CNC Automation actually drives the knee instead. This allows the quill to be used manually, like a regular mill. It also provides much more Z travel.

http://www.cncauto.com/ProductInfo.a...X-3V-KNEE-MILL

It's great for the very limited production and one of a kind projects that I do. It can also be used as a manual machine and with the balls screws, it's amazingly smooth! I also have access to a larger, enclosed machining center if needed. For me it was a big investment but it SHOULD last forever.
Thanks, that's too large for me, I gonna have fun trying to get my tormach to fit .
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote