Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Diff locked reversed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Diff locked reversed

Who's running there diffs channels reversed so the rear locks first ? I have broke a lot of front axles always with the diff locked. I have been running the last couple weeks with the rear locked up and front open and haven't broke one.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
My vendor status has been revoked

Default Re: Diff locked reversed

your more likely to need to lock the front first... the only reason to lock the rear first is for playing in mud and ice.. ive tested both ways.
summitcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I agree with rock crawling and hill climbing its your front pulling axle that does the work. You rear is pushing but the front is pulling , guiding, tire placement . Locking the front is a must for serious climbing.
noir522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I can still lock the front front if needed but locking the rear first gives it the advantage of tighter steering and less stress on the front axles. I leave it locked in the rear now %100 of the time.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #5

i really dont see that being true.. open diffs should turn sharper no matter what.. its the same concept as a tank. if one side turns less then it should turn that way.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. With the front diff locked my turning radius decreases. Lets say for simplicity each tire is %25 of the over all traction. Open diff front and rear is %50 traction. Locking each diff adds %25 more traction. If I lock the front I have %75 traction but the down side is less turning radius. If I lock both I have %100 traction and less turning radius. The stock setup the front must be locked first then the rear. Swapping them I can lock the rear first giving me %75 traction and the same turning radius. I can still lock the front for %100 traction. So the advantage of locking the rear first is the ability to tackle more terrain than open diff but still have the tighter turning radius. Also every axle I've broke has been on the frot with diff lock engaged. The trail at my house I cannot run open diff without getting stuck. I can make it with a single diff locked front or rear but there are a lot of turns I can't make with the front locked I have to reverse. With the rear locked I can complete the entire trail with out reversing. So I didn't lose anything being able to lock the rear first but I did gain the ability to complete some obstacles with a backup. Ideally I think I am going to set them up on seperate switches for individual control.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

i understand exactly what you are saying.

if you get less radius when locking the front wheels that turn left or right why would locking the rear first result in the same lack of radius or better when the rear wheels dont turn left or right?

the rear wheels are the ones that it pivots on, so if you lock the front first than you get more traction and same radius or better than locking the rear first..

in other words
it should lack less in radius when locking the front first than locking the rear.

and it sounds like you need a heavier weight oil in your diffs..
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Let me put it this way I put it in my driveway and locked the front made 2 clockwise and 2 counter clock wise circles with the wheels hard over. Them I measured the diameter of the circle the tires impressions left.I locked only the rear and did the same thing and measured those circles. The circles were smaller with the rear locked meaning it turned tighter.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #9

i understand, im just saying that in theory it doesn't make sense..
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sir I disagree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'm with you, luke972. I think Traxxas was confused when they built these, by not making the rear locker the first option on the switch. Another benefit of running that way is it will also save a lot of wear and tear on your servos.
monsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I don't know why I never thought about it for but one day I was crawling in my land cruiser one day and I could crest the hill and make the turn with out bumping into a tree with both diffs locked so I had to unlock the front to make it. For some wierd reason my Summit poped into my head.It would have been nice if they put a seperate switch for each locker in the Summit.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz View Post
I'm with you, luke972. I think Traxxas was confused when they built these, by not making the rear locker the first option on the switch. Another benefit of running that way is it will also save a lot of wear and tear on your servos.

they weren't confused. like a said above.. your more likely to need to lock the front first.. i guarantee you will make it more places by locking the front first than the rear.

for example if you approach something and one of your fronts is diffing and you lock the rear it might push it up but that front is still going to diff.. if you lock the front then it will want to roll up it..
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Agreed with above having the front locked will get you more places. Also it does not matter if its front or rear locked your are going to loose turning somewhat. More on the front than the rear. Since both wheels are turning at the same speed you are going to get some push from the wheel on the inside of the turn.
Defiantly wish traxxas would have put 2 switches for the diff locks as sometimes I would like to have the rear locked and not the front
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
they weren't confused. like a said above.. your more likely to need to lock the front first.. i guarantee you will make it more places by locking the front first than the rear.

for example if you approach something and one of your fronts is diffing and you lock the rear it might push it up but that front is still going to diff.. if you lock the front then it will want to roll up it..

Obviously you use your Summit in a different way than I use mine.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz View Post
Obviously you use your Summit in a different way than I use mine.

so because you use yours differently traxxas was confused?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'm starting to think you're confused. Are you sure your hood is over your front tires and not the rears? Maybe you're all turned around!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

While i do agree with traxxas should have had separate switch for front and rear locker. I very seldom ever lock the rears in. I go over all kinds of terrain
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Diff locked reversed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
locked diff? scutt Axial SCX-10 29 07-09-2013 10:45 AM
has anyone locked the diff in their slash? dieselfuel Non Crawler RC's 15 10-14-2008 09:36 PM
locked diff poll Rockpiledriver Tamiya TLT Crawlers 23 06-07-2006 05:12 PM
locked diff tltcrawl Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 09-05-2004 12:22 PM
i just locked my juggernaut diff a new way austinsclod General Crawlers 1 07-08-2004 04:12 PM