Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Proposed Build up from scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TRX4 Proposed Build up from scratch

Hi All!

I'm looking at the option to build a trx4 up slowly over the course of a year or two.
I've always laughed about how little of my axial wraith is from the original kit and thought It may be worth while building a TRX4 out of mainly aftermarket parts were their is a clear benefit, using only the necessary stock parts.

What I am looking for in the early stages of the build is a list of popular parts suppliers for the TRX4.
I will spend the next few days reading through all the threads in here and start a small list of my own, but to greatly reduce my research time if anyone has or can recommend a site, or certain brand to have a look into it would be much appreciated.

At the moment I've only really decided on a very small amount of items that I'm 99% certain I want;
MIP drive shafts
Underdrive gears for the portals
Holmes Hobbies ESC/motor combo
Happy with the Land Rover Body

I guess I should also download the kit instructions as per new2rocks Guide to the TRX-4 as another research avenue on parts that I feel need to be upgraded.

Once I have a bit more research and hopefully decided to proceed, perhaps even purchase a few items, I will commence a new build thread.

In the meantime any suggestions are welcomed

Cheers
Grimace
Grimace83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 Proposed Build up from scratch

Go to this link:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/610.htm

And then you can select "Filter by Brand" to see what each company makes for the TRX-4, like this example:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...ing%20Concepts

Which shows the 45 different aluminum & brass parts that STRC makes specifically for the TRX-4....

Many sites let you search for parts for a specific vehicle only.

(I've been doing this for 2 years for the Axial RR10 Bomber, now I have enough parts to build 2 completely different versions... one using only the cage, radio box, and fuel cell from the original kit)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Go to this link:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/610.htm

And then you can select "Filter by Brand" to see what each company makes for the TRX-4, like this example:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...ing%20Concepts

Which shows the 45 different aluminum & brass parts that STRC makes specifically for the TRX-4....

Many sites let you search for parts for a specific vehicle only.

(I've been doing this for 2 years for the Axial RR10 Bomber, now I have enough parts to build 2 completely different versions... one using only the cage, radio box, and fuel cell from the original kit)

Thanks durok, have loaded the link you provided and sorted by manufacturer, will save RPP to my favourites folder too ;)

Pretty orsum that you have managed to build accumulate soo many parts for your RR10. I too look at my wraith and think the only original bits now are the bonnet, frame, skid and diff housings.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Not looking like its viable at the moment. Just going through the aftermarket options there is still scope or requirement to use a lot of the traxxas components.

It works out much more viable to buy a complete car and strip it and sell off components, so that might just be the new plan.

Will keep researching and any further advice or suggestions are welcomed
Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

What's your goal with this build? Is it to make the most far from stock build, or are you looking for upgrades from a purely performance standpoint? Often times throwing every aftermarket part offered is not always a performance gain. Some upgrades are performance based and some are "because I like it" upgrades. Both are valid depending on the goals.
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Not sure of your experience in RC crawlers or scale crawlers but if you enjoy building then get the kit and your body of choice.

I am not oozing with experience but I would highly recommend the rtr or kit and run it stock. Coming from a few SCX 10's, Wraiths and other crawlers the TRX4 save for the top heavy Defender and Tactical body is impressive in stock form.

Coming from Axial RC's the need to upgrade from day one is apparent even if your a noob. Not so with the TRX4. Upgrades though vast should be more for looks then performance. Sure Brass portals help but are they necessary from day one? Not in my opinion.

If I were to do another one it would be the Sport, pitch the electronics, mount a 69' Blazer body when they get a cap for it, upgrade the wheels and tires and replace/upgrade as I see the need.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuckaphish View Post
What's your goal with this build? Is it to make the most far from stock build, or are you looking for upgrades from a purely performance standpoint? Often times throwing every aftermarket part offered is not always a performance gain. Some upgrades are performance based and some are "because I like it" upgrades. Both are valid depending on the goals.
I'm chasing off road performance but wanting to keep the selectable lockers and two speed for added enjoyment

I'm a land rover/4x4 enthusiast, so clearly I like the TRX4 from that point.

Looking through the threads on here I quickly learnt that most of the trx4s are using well over 50% of original parts and I doubt alloy diff housings are required.

I wont be using parts just for the sake of it, hence my realisation that its probably not viable to build it up in individual parts, the RTR kit is actually pretty good value, and any parts I know will not be in use can be sold off to recoup some costs.

My main goal will be to increase flex, reduce ride height and weight from up top, and add some weight down low.

Small 3s lipos, strong drivetrain, slowest possible gearing, 9t pinion 45t spur, overdrive front, underdrive rear etc

I love the aesthetics of most of the build on here too, but for me I'll sacrifice a lot to get it up that climb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Not sure of your experience in RC crawlers or scale crawlers but if you enjoy building then get the kit and your body of choice.

I am not oozing with experience but I would highly recommend the rtr or kit and run it stock. Coming from a few SCX 10's, Wraiths and other crawlers the TRX4 save for the top heavy Defender and Tactical body is impressive in stock form.

Coming from Axial RC's the need to upgrade from day one is apparent even if your a noob. Not so with the TRX4. Upgrades though vast should be more for looks then performance. Sure Brass portals help but are they necessary from day one? Not in my opinion.

If I were to do another one it would be the Sport, pitch the electronics, mount a 69' Blazer body when they get a cap for it, upgrade the wheels and tires and replace/upgrade as I see the need.
Yeah I love building and tinkering, and I wanted to do this with my son, who is really into driving my wraith and anything RC. Heck he has driven my 1:1 Range Rover classic around the farm too!
I've printed the kit instructions for him to show him how it all works, but I have explained to him that we may just have to buy an assembled unit and pull it apart

He is 6 years old, and looking forward to it either way

Glad to hear that the stock TRX4 is pretty impressive
I like the idea of the sport too, but my wraith ticks all them boxes already, really want something with the two speed and selectable lockers for added enjoyment

Thanks for the advice too guys, much appreciated.

Last edited by Grimace83; 06-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If (that is, when) I do pick one up - I think getting a silver Defender would be my starting point.

I'd remove EVERYTHING from the body, and pick up a clear body to paint up as I would want, with clear windows, military paint & white roof, then install all the parts I'd removed back onto this body...

...except for any exterior accessories I'd want upgraded or added from the aftermarket, of course.

The other prepainted body would likely be masked off at the windows, painted on the outside and then coated in matte clear - perhaps put a minimum of plastic accessories back on for some realism...

...and used for rougher crawling/bashing sessions where I'd not want to really damage the fancier full-custom body.

I'd sell the electronics and pick up higher quality servos all-round and at least a HobbyWing 1080 ESC / HH TrailMaster 550 21t motor or perhaps a brushless Mamba X ESC / HH motor, with a better radio.

Some upgrades to the drivetrain (not much if anything is needed) - likely to use brass parts on items that don't typically hit the rocks (knuckles/c-hubs/portal covers), and this would be bit-by-bit over time.

Then nice wheels & tires with a goal towards best combo of grip to scale looks would definitely be required.

And call it done!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

durok, you have basically nailed my current plans, only minus the second body.

I'm going to try get the Orange clear glass edition
Beyond your suggestions i'll likely add the mip shafts and over/under gearing is about it.

I'm liking the Proline BFG KM3s at the moment
Old 06-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Excellent choice - there was a retailer online I saw that had a few, they sold out a couple days later - and those tires are also top-tier!

The Traxxas shafts are likely to work out very well, I'd wait for that upgrade if it were me until nearly the end.

Under/Overdrive is a good idea, though...

EDIT: here's the link for the currently out of stock Adventure Limited Edition:

Traxxas TRX-4 1/10 4WD RTR Land Rover Adventure Limited Edition Defender D110 Crawler Orange w/ TQi Traxxas Link #82056-4ORNG,

Last edited by durok; 06-27-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
Not looking like its viable at the moment. Just going through the aftermarket options there is still scope or requirement to use a lot of the traxxas components.

It works out much more viable to buy a complete car and strip it and sell off components, so that might just be the new plan.

Will keep researching and any further advice or suggestions are welcomed

Just keep in mind that the stock parts that you swap out will be the same parts that everyone else is swaping out. Meaning that there are a lot of people trying to sell parts that no one wants.

The other option is to go to ebay and search on TRX4. I bought a new TRX4 roller chassis complete including all the servos but no electronics for $200. Add my choice of ESC, motor and RX compatable with my TX and my #3 TRX4 will be ready to go.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-29-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Just keep in mind that the stock parts that you swap out will be the same parts that everyone else is swaping out. Meaning that there are a lot of people trying to sell parts that no one wants.

The other option is to go to ebay and search on TRX4. I bought a new TRX4 roller chassis complete including all the servos but no electronics for $200. Add my choice of ESC, motor and RX compatable with my TX and my #3 TRX4 will be ready to go.
I've been keeping an eye on ebay if i found a deal such as the one you got i'd jump at it
Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

These wheels have been around for a while, but I never see anyone using them - RC4WD "Rugged" 1.9" beadlocks - I think these would suit the Adventure edition really nicely, there is a lot of depth to the design, and a set of faux disc brakes would really show up well though the spokes.

SSD makes a set of TRX-4 - compatible spinning disc hubs that also add some non-rotating weight nice and low.

Wheels:

https://store.rc4wd.com/Rugged-19-Be...ls_p_5021.html

Disc brake hubs:

Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor

Old 06-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Cheers Durok,

I'm looking at the vanquish method beadlocks ;)
and the weights will likely be the Samix portal outers and disc brakes ;)

Either that or i'll go el cheapo and find some $50 ebay beadlocks

Not sure yet!

Mind keeps getting changed about kit, rtr, parts build lol

Might even start trawling the second hand market!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Vanquish Methods are plenty good... they just are on so many builds out there.

I myself have a set of their Incision Method MR307 wheels, although in the wrong size for this build (2.2").

The RC4WD Rugged (what a boring, awful, product name!) wheels just "look" the part for a non-military Defender build, IMHO.

I have a set of LockedUpRC Hutchinson Command full-coverage beadlock ring wheels that would look great on a military styled one:
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
Looking through the threads on here I quickly learnt that most of the trx4s are using well over 50% of original parts and I doubt alloy diff housings are required.
I got my TRX4 as soon as it hit hobby shops around here and is coming up on its first birthday. After all that time, my truck is probably more like 90% original mechanical parts. Brass portal covers, a Bowhouse battery tray, and an aluminum servo horn are all the aftermarket parts on the chassis. All the other changes were either tires, electronics, or appearance mods.

Even with the heavy Land Rover body and long wheelbase, I have been impressed with the level of performance for a fairly close to stock truck.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Yes i'll m also impressed how durable the trx-4 is.
Mine still running the stock electronics (edit:except the steering servo, switch to a hh hv500 v2). Have spares but not used yet.
I only changed tires and wheels for my liking, and added weights down low.... to counter the top heavy body.
Rest are scale things...

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 06-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I got my TRX4 as soon as it hit hobby shops around here and is coming up on its first birthday. After all that time, my truck is probably more like 90% original mechanical parts. Brass portal covers, a Bowhouse battery tray, and an aluminum servo horn are all the aftermarket parts on the chassis. All the other changes were either tires, electronics, or appearance mods.

Even with the heavy Land Rover body and long wheelbase, I have been impressed with the level of performance for a fairly close to stock truck.
I agree, I quickly learnt this checking over other builds and looking at the drive train quality. I guess I just assumed originally it would be like my wraith that ended up with practically every part replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Yes i'll m also impressed how durable the trx-4 is.
Mine still running the stock electronics (edit:except the steering servo, switch to a hh hv500 v2). Have spares but not used yet.
I only changed tires and wheels for my liking, and added weights down low.... to counter the top heavy body.
Rest are scale things...

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk
I'll happily run the stock electronics bar the servo too, but if/when it fails i'll look to upgrade.
Just got to start saving some coin for the main purchase, unless something decent comes up second hand
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Important!

Traxxas JUST released this new information about a new Adventure Edition pre-painted body:

"This special edition orange and black Defender body comes pre-cut, painted with applied decals, and ready to mount on the TRX-4 chassis (324mm). The body is fully assembled with a complement of highly detailed scale parts including Exocage, inner fenders, fuel canisters, snorkel, grill, and jack"

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8...e%20Shop%20Now

So, now you could buy a roller Defender or Tactical chassis w/out a body at a very inexpensive price, and add this which includes all the fiddly bits!

Last edited by durok; 06-28-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

and its soo close to an old 1:1 I used to frequently wheel with!!!

Last edited by Grimace83; 06-28-2018 at 08:07 PM.

TRX4 Proposed Build up from scratch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fj c1 scratch build stevem50 1.5 Scale Rigs 19 04-07-2015 06:34 PM
F350 scratch build racin707 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 01-31-2014 07:29 PM
Build from scratch scaler mud_life_19 General Scale Talk 1 10-12-2012 12:12 PM
Scratch build stryene ? mnraaron Paint and Body 4 04-06-2010 02:10 PM
TLT Scratch build r32drifter Tamiya TLT Crawlers 17 09-28-2008 01:10 PM