Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #1441
RCC Addict

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

I did all 4 of mine in about an hour using close cutters. I cut the small center lugs out and split the big outter lugs. They perform almost as good as my hyrax on the rocks, but clean out better in a more muddy situation.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #1442
Quarry Creeper

Ive never seen anyone split the outter lugs that way. How does that help for grip? Or is it more for sidehill grip?
I was using lexan body scissors and they worked pretty good.
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #1443
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alister View Post
Ive never seen anyone split the outter lugs that way. How does that help for grip? Or is it more for sidehill grip?
I was using lexan body scissors and they worked pretty good.

I definitely noticed a difference from just the center lug being gone and then the outer lug. I ran it both ways. If I ever bought another set I would do them the same way
Old 07-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #1444
Rock Crawler

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I definitely noticed a difference from just the center lug being gone and then the outer lug. I ran it both ways. If I ever bought another set I would do them the same way

Now my interest is piqued.

I’ll throw the grooved stockers back on next time and see how they do now there is front portal brass.

I imagine my experience would be similar to yours.

Maybe I’ll cut the little lug off too tonight.

If I’m modding a tire might as well do it all the way. Especially since the little lug removal seems to make a difference by itself.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #1445
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Now my interest is piqued.

I’ll throw the grooved stockers back on next time and see how they do now there is front portal brass.

I imagine my experience would be similar to yours.

Maybe I’ll cut the little lug off too tonight.

If I’m modding a tire might as well do it all the way. Especially since the little lug removal seems to make a difference by itself.

I forgot to add that I changed to some good dual stage foams between cutting the small lug and cutting the outer lug. I noticed cutting the lugs made the tire allot softer. The tires were way too squishy for a 8+lb rig with stock foams. Good foams made way more difference then I thought it would. Especially on the sidehill.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #1446
Rock Crawler

A good rc evening.

First, last sunday I noticed my wheels in front were a little wobbly even when tightened down.

So I replaced all hexes and screws. I also have new vanquish stubs hopefully showing up tomorrow as it looks like the holes are egged out in front.

On left is old screw and right is new. What has caused this I have no clue. All the screws are like the old one.

Once that was done I broke out the curved scissors and started cutting the little middle lug. Oh man that takes some patience.

As I was wanting to get on the rocks, I only did the outside little nubs on the fronts.

Tested them out out back. Actually did really well when compared to how the hyraxes did on same rocks.

Some slipping but I was able to complete the whole run. The tires didn’t hold me back for the rocks I crawled.

Just reinforced the fact that these are darn good stock tires and a little tinkering makes them very good.

After 3 months I finally got my J concepts land mines. So I’m installing them on gmade steelies with CI Lil Novas.

Got one done. Lol

I’m excited to try them out.

ETA. Fronts are done. Enough for tonight

Last edited by Benp; 07-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #1447
Quarry Creeper

Love those steelies man. They look great! How do those landmines compare to the modded canyon trails? I'd be very interested to hear.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #1448
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Love those steelies man. They look great! How do those landmines compare to the modded canyon trails? I'd be very interested to hear.

I’m sure it will be extremely similar to CT comparison to Hyraxes that were on there.

The Landmines are sticky. I mean dog hair magnet. If I recall the Hyraxes were the same when I was putting them together.

Even though the CTs did well yesterday there is one thing I noticed. They spun and the rear end washed out on an angled descent. I put them up good inclines. Even with slight spinning at low throttle there was forward progression every time. The Hyraxes just crawl.

Now, to be fair, these are still stock wheels and foams. My “plan” is take the stockers apart and reassemble using some steel rims and the Foams that came in the Landmines.

My thought is weight on the CT’s will cause the lugs to spread and allow the grooving to work better. Exactly like airing down on the 1/1’s.

So I’m looking forward to experimenting with those after I get seat time with the Landmines.

Even with all being said, I do stand by what I say about the CTs being very good stock tires when monkeyed with.

ETA- For those that are not aware, this is an excellent tool for venting tires. Pretty inexpensive leather punch. Smallest size is 2mm which is perfect.

Last edited by Benp; 07-25-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #1449
Rock Crawler

Put in vanquish axle stubs, underDrive in rear and a little heavier springs in rear.

By time battery is charged it’ll be too late to run so hopefully tomorrow.

I haven’t broke in the Landmines and lil novas yet either. So it’ll be a good day to play
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #1450
Quarry Creeper

Vanquish axel stubs are to make it wider? Or just stronger?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #1451
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Vanquish axel stubs are to make it wider? Or just stronger?

Supposed to be stronger and I hope the pin holes are less prone to deformation.

The slight in/out movement of the stock stubs is all but gone.

I feel that the new hexes and longer pins contribute a lot to the tightening up as well.

We’ll see.

Most likely me over reacting.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #1452
Rock Crawler

Got the battery charged and checked out the overdriven front and underDrive rear.

https://youtu.be/CpGAxkeT5Ug

I plan on trying it out in a while. So we will see.

If it’s too much and doesn’t work well I’ll just take the rear back out and return to stock.

ETA- I believe the front is now overdriven 23%.

Last edited by Benp; 07-28-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #1453
Pebble Pounder

I noticed that grinding a groove with the dremmel...you dob’t Want to hit the next lug towards the center. The hot stick does not get hot enough to burn your own lines...just cleans and opens groove. After grooming it with the hot stick...the lugs are wide on the outside and open up. As they get to the center ...they are thin..then stop. So soft on edges and progress stiffer until the groove stops. I tried the Pitbull Rock beasts vs the modified Canyon Trails today. I climbed one set of rocks then switched tires and climbed again. I wanted to compare as close as possible. I did this through out my test. Though both performed great in there own way...I will favor the Canyon Trails modified from now on. They are a little stiffer and the center luge really hook up on the dirt in between the rocks. It will be interesting what Benp says about his comparison.
Attached Images

Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #1454
Rock Crawler

That’s awesome Jeff!

My experience was similar to yours. The modified CT’s did just fine and the truck wasn’t held back because of them.

I don’t have the patience in the summer to trim all the little lugs. Lol. I did the outside ones and just on the front. This winter when it’s -30 out I’ll finish the job.

Mine are still on stock rims and tires. I have some eBay steel beadlocks I’m going to put on them. And I think once some weight gets on them, the grooved lugs will spread out and give even better traction just like airing down tires.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #1455
Rock Crawler

Rough day playing.

Landmines did ok for being straight out of the box. I think they need broke in some.

I feel I totally messed up with the CI foams. I ordered 4.5” comp cut soft in front and Med in rear.

Front is way too soft and I think I sized inner foams wrong. All my fault as I didn’t use their foam calculator. So I have some researching ahead of me. Backs seem to work fine.

One place it did very well, for what ever reason, is a steep angled sidehill rock in my front wall.
Normally It’ll flop me 10 times for every time I can successfully transition it. Really had no problems with it. Lol.

I threw the old hyraxes on and re ran everything. Went just fine. The sidehill rock flopped me as usual.

To early to tell on the increased overdrive. Well just say I’m not sure.

I need to get everything playing well together first.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #1456
Pebble Pounder

I make my own foam inserts from large packing delivered to the work place. I already had 2” carbide holesaw. I twist it by hand. Then cut the outside foam on a bandsaw. I walk around the receiving area squeezing the Sharmin....till I find a dense enough foam.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #1457
Quarry Creeper

This is good info guys. Thanks for the updates!
Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #1458
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
I make my own foam inserts from large packing delivered to the work place. I already had 2” carbide holesaw. I twist it by hand. Then cut the outside foam on a bandsaw. I walk around the receiving area squeezing the Sharmin....till I find a dense enough foam.

That’s awesome! Really cool you’re able to do that Jeff.

ETA - I got 4.75 lil novas ordered with medium/firm outer foams and a 4.5 firm outer foam.

These should work better.

Plus side of this is I’ll use the current 4.5” foams with the stock canyon trails and new steel rims. I think that will work pretty good.

Last edited by Benp; 07-29-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #1459
Pebble Pounder

We have talked about tires but have not discussed weights. Do you and how much weight do you add Benp ?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #1460
Rock Crawler

Jeff,

The front ssd portals are 75g a side.

I want to say the gmade steel wheels are 100g or so each. I’m not positive on that.

The new yeah racing brass hexes are 6.5g a piece.

And that’s all for I’ve done for add on weight.

Personally I feel adding weight or any upgrades should be done in stages so you can actually assess improvement.

I saw one video where the individual got a full meal deal heavy axle housing and full brass set up front and rear for a defender I believe. Bugger climbed like a goat BUT it came down even faster quasi out of control. Mr Newton absolutely took over.

So like anything, in moderation i think is best.

Last edited by Benp; 07-29-2020 at 10:40 AM.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM