Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #1461
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

I run wheel weights all the way around my wheels. I add 4 more on top of that for the fronts. I believe they are 1/4 ounce each stick on strips. It climbs places it has no business climbing. I slow crawl near vertical so a lightweight rig does not fit my needs. Unweighted...It hopped up and down a lot. Now it either climbs or wheelies .

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 07-29-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #1462
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
I run wheel weights all the way around my wheels. I add 4 more on top of that for the fronts. I believe they are 1/4 ounce each stick on strips. It climbs places it has no business climbing. I slow crawl near vertical so a lightweight rig does not fit my needs. Unweighted...It hopped up and down a lot. Now it either climbs or wheelies .

Daggone! That’s awesome!!!!

Is this the 6x6 or standard?

Always thought the stock on wheel weights are a good simple idea.

When I get home I’ll put a complete wheel and tire on the scale out of curiosity.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #1463
Pebble Pounder

All of them. The two 12.8 wheel bases and the 6x6. I normally put the first one of the strip and keep pressure pulling while going around the wheel pressing as the next one goes on...to keep an even gap so the last one does not have a large gap from the first one. The front ones ...I also add equally spaced 4 more on top. I put two raps of 3M electrical tape on top of the wheel weights to keep them on and makes it easier to stretch the foam over. I squeeze and pull away from the wheel all the way around the to make sure the foam is centered. I bought a case really cheap on eBay. Poor mail lady...Weights for life !!

Keep me informed.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 07-29-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #1464
Quarry Creeper

Changed my shock oil in the rear from 20w to 55w. Stock springs still. I suppose it could be my imagination but it seems to sidehill way better now. The whole truck feels more "planted" and less bouncy so I'm quite happy overall. Still have 20 in the front shocks but they have the lighter springs.
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #1465
RCC Addict

Extra weight added to my Trx-4
Front:
China alloy axle housing
GRC aluminum knuckles
CODYBOY knuckle weights
GPM aluminum shock towers
GPM aluminum lower link mounts
SSD steel wheels
6oz bumper
2nd electronics box in front of servo

Rear:
Samix brass outer portal covers
Truggy cage
Scale accessories

It's definitely front biased, but the split is perfect. My rig has no issues with climbs or decents. When I weighed it. It was about 58%front 42% rear. My rig is 8lbs 2oz with 3s 2650 nano tech battery.

AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:52 AM   #1466
Rock Crawler

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alister View Post
Changed my shock oil in the rear from 20w to 55w. Stock springs still. I suppose it could be my imagination but it seems to sidehill way better now. The whole truck feels more "planted" and less bouncy so I'm quite happy overall. Still have 20 in the front shocks but they have the lighter springs.

Good deal!

Some heavier shock oil showed up the other day so that’s on my to do list as well for the rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Extra weight added to my Trx-4
Front:
China alloy axle housing
GRC aluminum knuckles
CODYBOY knuckle weights
GPM aluminum lower link mounts
SSD steel wheels
6oz bumper
2nd electronics box in front of servo

Rear:
Samix brass outer portal covers
Truggy cage
Scale accessories

It's definitely front biased, but the split is perfect. My rig has no issues with climbs or decents. When I weighed it. It was about 58%front 42% rear. My rig is 8lbs 2oz with 3s 2650 nano tech battery.

Super cool rig Animal!!! I love how it looks.

Last edited by Benp; 07-30-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #1467
Pebble Pounder

Any news of weighting your tires BenP ?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #1468
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Good deal!

Some heavier shock oil showed up the other day so that’s on my to do list as well for the rears.

Super cool rig Animal!!! I love how it looks.

Thanks brother! Took me 2 years of tinkering to get it like I wanted. Now I'm after a new cab to change it up a bit.

LMAO! You didn't have to edit that bro! I got a kick out of it.

I made it when I first got into the hobby out of a worn out fork from a bush hog. I've only left it cause it works really good, I like how the weight gave the body some roll like a real truck and it's the only real weight I have on the chassis. That stinger on there has helped me SO many times.
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #1469
Rock Crawler

Oh yeah!!!

My little reloading scale wouldn’t handle it.

It read “overload”.

Pulled out the the manual and the scale goes to 750 grains which equals 48.6 grams. Not going to work.

Did a little more testing yesterday evening. Put the medium outer foam Landmines in front and hyrax in back.

Fronts didn’t wrinkle “as” bad but I attribute that to me only having the 4.5” inner foams. I feel once the correct 4.7” lil novas show up things will be better.

Definite difference in how the tires look with the proline foams in the hyrax and the 4.5 CI’s in the Landmines. I

Truck did ok. Nothing stellar. One thing I did notice was in sharp uphill turns the front would push straight sometimes.

I think the front is being overdriven too much now or the Landmines are still breaking in.

The balance I had before with just front overdrive seems to be a lot better. So I’m going to take the rear out.

I definitely need to get bumpers.

Last edited by Benp; 07-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #1470
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Thanks brother! Took me 2 years of tinkering to get it like I wanted. Now I'm after a new cab to change it up a bit.

LMAO! You didn't have to edit that bro! I got a kick out of it.

I made it when I first got into the hobby out of a worn out fork from a bush hog. I've only left it cause it works really good, I like how the weight gave the body some roll like a real truck and it's the only real weight I have on the chassis. That stinger on there has helped me SO many times.

Damn. Busted. Lol

I thought the 6 oz was pretty heavy but saw the specs for a RC4WD and that was around 5.5oz.

So it seems reasonable and comment not needed. Lol

I need a stinger or a bumper with really good approach angles that pops the rig up when encountering a rock.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #1471
Pebble Pounder

Just put in overdrive. Traxxas wanted me to support my local hobby shop by stripping the head of the spider gear carrier. More rainy days have kept me from evaluating. Looks like the most gain is in a tighter turning radius not a straight climb. Since I slow crawl...I may not like the constant spinning of the front tires.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #1472
Rock Crawler

Overdrive has been in the front for a little while.

One or the other for me seems to be a better balance than both.

I noticed no pushing just hooking and going with the front before adding the rear underDrive.

At least now I know and if I get another trx4 I’ll throw the rear underDrive in that.

Last edited by Benp; 07-30-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #1473
Pebble Pounder

Benp that is pretty difficult task to dial in a rig with a few different things going on. A USPS electronic scale I have would help. Will you keep the overdrive ?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #1474
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Overdrive has been in the front for a little while.

One or the other for me seems to be a better balance than both.

I noticed no pushing just hooking and going with the front before adding the rear underDrive.

At least now I know and if I get another trx4 I’ll throw the rear underDrive in that.
One I have dialed in will stay stock gearing. I may just put the underdrive set on the shelf. What do you think of just under driving the back and putting the stock back in the front on yours ?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #1475
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Benp that is pretty difficult task to dial in a rig with a few different things going on. A USPS electronic scale I have would help. Will you keep the overdrive ?

Oh I agree. At the end of my first test session with this round of parts, I put the hyraxes back on and crawled about 20 minutes. It was better but I didn’t have that gut feeling of “wow! This works great!” Like I did when testing the portal brass and front overdrive.

When I did that little video showing the combined overdrive/underDrive, I didn’t have the greatest confidence watching the tape on the front wheel fly around compared to the rears.

I’ll look into those. Thanks!

Oh yeah. Front overdrive is staying in.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #1476

Took the sport thru the new settling pond.

I will say this motor is stupid fun, probably should get a 45t spur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #1477
Rock Crawler

Ha ha!!! Sweet!

How bad was the rig clean up?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #1478
Pebble Pounder

rear suspension wasnt damped enough, even with softer springs (one step down from stock on Blazer). changed rear shock oil to 40wt. push tests show it to be much more balanced with the front.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #1479
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Just put in overdrive. Traxxas wanted me to support my local hobby shop by stripping the head of the spider gear carrier. More rainy days have kept me from evaluating. Looks like the most gain is in a tighter turning radius not a straight climb. Since I slow crawl...I may not like the constant spinning of the front tires.
Was able to do a test run with the overdrive. Like benP said..steering is tighter. I crawl just a little faster than usual but seems to just keep going over the tuff stuff. Will leave the Pitbull Rock beasts on since they spin a little anyways. I like the faster pace for a different experience than the other stock rig.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #1480
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Was able to do a test run with the overdrive. Like benP said..steering is tighter. I crawl just a little faster than usual but seems to just keep going over the tuff stuff. Will leave the Pitbull Rock beasts on since they spin a little anyways. I like the faster pace for a different experience than the other stock rig.

I guess I really haven’t noticed an increase in pace due to the front overdrive.

Yesterday evening I took out the rear underDrive and put it back to stock. So only the front overdrive now.

Changed out the rear shock oil to 40wt to see if it helps improve the flopping.

Charged up the Helios 1500 today and headed out to the lower wall to play in the shade.

These are by far the slipperiest rocks I’ve encountered yet. I don’t know what they are except red. There are a handful of the big ones in the walls and they are slick. On one run in about the same spot except a little more driver side, the rear end started to slide.

The fun inspector showed up. Lol

Good day to be outside!

Hoping the new CI foams for the Landmines show up soon so I can put them through their paces.

Last edited by Benp; 08-01-2020 at 08:55 PM.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM