Notices

Thread: Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 05:12 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I got more done this evening. After flipping the front and rear bumper mounts, I then really needed to raise the rock sliders. I have seen some people use cylindrical tubes to do this, but that was just not refined enough for my tastes. So while at work today, I took a little break to quickly design a nice spacer that is fit to the existing parts.(I own my own business so I can get away with goofing off now and again.)

The spacer is a nice press fit that is not too hard to put on, but not loose either. With this design it makes for a very ridged setup. This raises the slider .550" from stock, and puts them just a hair above the floor pans for more then half an inch of extra side clearance.

I 3D printed them in red that matches the rest of the red on the truck. I had planned to paint the body a metallic blue, but I see a red and black theme going on so maybe I need to paint the body to match. Anyways here are a few more pictures.

I like those spacers a lot! Look perfect!

I raised mine up with aluminum spacers.

No where as good as yours but better than stock height wise.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, they were a fun little addition to this truck.

Started painting the body tonight. Ahhh, it will look good, but man do I dislike the paint and body side of these builds.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, they were a fun little addition to this truck.

Started painting the body tonight. Ahhh, it will look good, but man do I dislike the paint and body side of these builds.

I hate painting as well, unless it’s just a beater. For some reason, my beater Bronco body was fun to paint, even though it didn’t turn out too good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I will consider sharing the files for the risers. I have become a little less willing to do that though after finding several of my designs being sold on ebay without my authorization.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I will consider sharing the files for the risers. I have become a little less willing to do that though after finding several of my designs being sold on ebay without my authorization.

I wouldn’t if people were selling my designs.

Don’t feel like you have to, I already designed my own lol. They don’t look good, but they work.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I wouldn’t if people were selling my designs.

Don’t feel like you have to, I already designed my own lol. They don’t look good, but they work.

I tell you what though, if you want a set you can send me a PM with your address and I will print them and send you a set. There are three different variations. A front left, front right, and rear. It took about 6 hours to print all 4 individually, but I would be happy to do it for you if you want. Let me know.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

Quote:
I tell you what though, if you want a set you can send me a PM with your address and I will print them and send you a set. There are three different variations. A front left, front right, and rear. It took about 6 hours to print all 4 individually, but I would be happy to do it for you if you want. Let me know.

I appreciate the offer, but you don’t have to do all that! I can design some more if I want. Plus, I don’t think I’m going do do any sliders for now. I don’t expect you to use your time and material.

Thank you though!

Old 11-15-2020, 12:58 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

It is way to late to be awake!!! So I am heading to bed. However I just came in from my workshop and got the motor wired up and everything running. There was a little drama, but I will post about it tomorrow. For now I must sleep!!
Old 11-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

So I finished painting the body today. That was a chore!!! I think it turned out pretty well. I am excited to see how it looks finished up and on the truck. I will probably wait a few days because the paint is till drying. The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks much nicer in person. Once the whole thing is done I will take it outside and get some better pictures.

Lets see if anyone can guess how I painted it.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-15-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I also designed and printed an esc holder for the Hobby Wing WP1080. It mounts to the factory esc hole location on the side pan. For some reason my camera sucks ad makes it look pink, but it is the same red color as the spacers I made. I really like the design and how it keeps the esc and switch securely mounted. I attached the esc and switch with the double sided foam tape stuff.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

That body looks really good! Glad you went with the red/black theme

Old 11-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Great job Stomp!

I’m really liking the body and the crafted 1080 holder.

Great idea!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I really like the way the paint turned out. It was a major PITA thought because I painted it with acrylic paint and a paint brush. Took about 4 coats of the black and 8 or 9 coats of red, then a coat of silver, then a coat of black all over the red. The red turned out really nice and deep. Not maroon, but just a deep red. The pictures don't really show the color well with my old camera.

I wanted to go without the rack setup, but with all the holes in the body I decided to just put all of it on. Not sure if I will jeep it that way because it adds a lot of weight to the body up high. I wish that they added side caps like the tailgate cap that could be used to cover up the holes. I think that would be a nice way to make the truck look nice without the rack and hide the holes.

I am also not a huge fan of the snorkel, but again I didn't like leaving all the holes in the body so put it on. I know for where I crawl it will hang up on tons of branches, but maybe that will add more to picking lines and stuff.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys. I really like the way the paint turned out. It was a major PITA thought because I painted it with acrylic paint and a paint brush. Took about 4 coats of the black and 8 or 9 coats of red, then a coat of silver, then a coat of black all over the red. The red turned out really nice and deep. Not maroon, but just a deep red. The pictures don't really show the color well with my old camera.

I wanted to go without the rack setup, but with all the holes in the body I decided to just put all of it on. Not sure if I will jeep it that way because it adds a lot of weight to the body up high. I wish that they added side caps like the tailgate cap that could be used to cover up the holes. I think that would be a nice way to make the truck look nice without the rack and hide the holes.

I am also not a huge fan of the snorkel, but again I didn't like leaving all the holes in the body so put it on. I know for where I crawl it will hang up on tons of branches, but maybe that will add more to picking lines and stuff.

Wow! I would’ve never guessed you brushed it. It looks great man!

I would have to put everything on too, because I can’t stand extra holes in my bodies.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Painting the inside certainly makes it easier since the "clear coat" is the polycarbonate and it is so uniform. Looks great though. I'm going to paint my spare C10 body this weekend once I decide on a color. Can't wait, I like paint a lot haha.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Finished the truck. Turned out well I think.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-16-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Stomp!

I like the rack and snorkel also.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Now I just need that snow to melt off so I can try it out.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks. Now I just need that snow to melt off so I can try it out.

Wow!

That’s awesome!!!

I think you and I are both done until late March.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies. Next time I will airbrush the body as painting with a regular brush was definitely hard to get even coats and to keep light from shining through. I also did not tape anything but the windows off. That meant I had to carefully paint all the red to black transitions by hand. Tedious to say the least.

I am holding out for the snow to melt at least just for a week or so to try out this new rig. Suppose to be a warm snap this week, mid 40's so I might get a chance.

Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build v33 Traxxas TRX-4 9 04-24-2021 12:15 AM
Father/Son TRX4 Sport Kit Build Forker45 Traxxas TRX-4 27 07-04-2020 11:05 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
Alex's TRX4 Sport kit build alexleblanc Traxxas TRX-4 13 05-06-2019 11:46 AM