Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: The new Vs4-10 Phoenix portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The new Vs4-10 Phoenix portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Haha, right. Not exactly sure how that would play out.

I was actually intending to express having the option to use both features individually but on the same run. That said, I Cant really wrap my head around why one would want run rwd in a crawler simply beyond the pure challenge of it. Almost as a lark
I mainly want the trans for the RWD option in a faster vehicle… messing around on the trail on the way to the rocks, for example.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Got shipping notification.
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Haha, right. Not exactly sure how that would play out.

I was actually intending to express having the option to use both features individually but on the same run. That said, I Cant really wrap my head around why one would want run rwd in a crawler simply beyond the pure challenge of it. Almost as a lark

To be fair, I’d guess the rwd function is more of a side effect due to the nature of selectable o/d and likely not something they set out to create.

I always enjoyed the selectable diffs in my trx4’s, just to add some complexity to otherwise simple terrain. I see this the same way, not necessary, but may be fun in some situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

For me RWD is for hooning around, drifting between crawl spots. You can do that with 4WD too but it will be nice to not roll so easily and to drift much better.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #25
Slow is the new Fast

Sounds like it should have a low enough COG for some dirt drifts.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
RWD,.makes me chuckle.

So I guy could in theory run a combination of rear wheel drive and dig on his transmitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Indeed, seconds worth of motor-smoking fun!
Maybe that's why they added a slipper clutch this this one.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Ordered and shining up the tools for my next build!!! Looking forward to this one.
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

This is very, very tempting to me but I just got a TRX4 Sport and MOA Berg crawler this month so I'm going to hold off and see if a straight axle version is on the way.

IMO this truck does almost everything (other than the portals) right. 2WD/4WD, dig and overdrive for not much more than a TRX4 kit, and I'd rather have the dig and overdrive over unlocking diffs and a 2 speed transmission.

Also the body looks like a modern Toyota FJ45 which I really like.
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I most generally make my own 'kit' per say. But definantly interested in this one. Ill b gettin one here real soon. Got plans for a build already lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Any confirmation on the wheelbase? I may have missed it, but I can't find it anywhere. I need 12.3!
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I like the body, at least as much as I have looked at it so far. I wonder (and hope) it will be available separately down the road. I have a HH Sherpa build that is ongoing and may want to consider this body for that rig.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

I preordered it from Amain this afternoon and 4 hours later it has shipped and I have a tracking number. I have never been in preorder status for so short a period of time.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Best looking rig to hit the market in a long time imo especially for the money...

Time for a sweet c2 build
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Well, couldn't help it. Josh stoked the fire and Matt set it ablaze and now mines on order from RPP. They show them in stock now. I mean it's Vanquish, has plastic axles so it slides over stuff better, it's Vanquish, it has selectable overdrive which I didn't know I needed until now, it's Vanquish, it has dig, and to top it off not a Jeep body, oh and did I mention it's Vanquish.

I've been eyeing the origin since the original but do not like aluminum axles. There's really nothing I don't like about this truck.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Any confirmation on the wheelbase? I may have missed it, but I can't find it anywhere. I need 12.3!
Every other Vanquish VS4-10 is listed on the Vanquish site as a 12.3" wheelbase rig - the chassis on all versions is the VS4-10 chassis (hence the name), it's the axles and transmission that differ. I'm sure it just slipped their mind to indicate the wheelbase for the Phoenix.

I'm personally VERY surprised at this release, they took their damn sweet time releasing a rig aimed more at outright performance rather than beauty. I'm trying not to sound like a jerk - but their aluminum axled-rigs always struck me as a somewhat less-than great idea given how badly aluminum hangs up on rocks. They were gorgeous and featured some fine engineering (especially the transmission) but I was never going to consider buying one unless I won the lottery.

That said - I seriously dig everything this one brings to the table!

One thing not mentioned much is the brass tube inserts for the axles - would have been SO easy for them to make that an aftermarket option rather than including them - nice touch! I hope the redesigned shocks do perform better - I doubt they would have gone to the trouble if they didn't. I'm not too worried about the plastic driveshafts - they've had many years to look at the Axial WB8-HD shafts that work great, I'll bet these are made of better plastic at the very least. Not seeing anything in the mechanical side that isn't excellent.

The body is a bit awkward at the rear third of the cab - odd wrap-around window position and size, but if the roof were painted black all the way down to the tops of the doors it would camouflage it. The front end and bed look great. I'm wondering how certain other cabs might fit and if they would allow keeping at least the tubed bed portion - maybe the MST J45C cab?

Also - if someone hurries up and releases a good quality interior roll cage you could just cut the roof off and run it with just the windshield (or even without it!)

I'm really happy they finally got off their high horse and released a rig for the rest of us...

(but I have SO many projects piled up!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

As almost everybody replaces kit version wheels and tires, they should launch a version of this kit without it, it would be a bit more affordable and unbeatable offer
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

wonder if the later pros and ultras will come with the better trans ?
afrofroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:48 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I haven't bought a kit or even anything RC in well over a year until now, i just ordered one.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:51 AM   #39

Interesting release, especially on the day I finished ordering everything for a SSD trail king X MST crusier body build that I chose over the VS4-10 pro because I wanted a cruiser! It's almost like they were spying on me...

That said whilst the tranny looks pretty cool, I am not big on portals and the MST body is probably more scale accurate to a cruiser.

Would have been nice if they offered this with the straight full aluminium axle as an optional extra/ higher tier kit right at release. Not doubting the plastic for performance but it's just nicer looking with alu.

I think they've done well as an higher volume offer thou, won't be surprised if this flies out the door.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
fumiyasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The body is a bit awkward at the rear third of the cab ..
... how certain other cabs might fit and if they would allow keeping at least the tubed bed portion - maybe the MST J45C cab?

My same thought here! Besides the cab, the entire body is way too tall. But I am sure a lot of people will just massively cut it up and lower it. Might help with overall proportions.
Mine is supposed to show up next week - will try to fit my J45C first thing :-)
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote

The new Vs4-10 Phoenix portal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon's VS4-10 Rear Portal Yota Build Brandon Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 61 04-03-2020 12:21 PM
New to Phoenix LexieVW Arizona 2 03-27-2011 07:40 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM
Phoenix get together 9/4/05 yodasands Arizona 8 09-03-2005 05:53 PM