Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Springs for SE8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Springs for SE8

I bought all the currently-available parts to build a set of 90mm version of the Phoenix S8E shocks from Vanquish directly, but they don't have springs up for sale yet. Anyone figure out what alternative springs might work on either the 80mm or 90mm versions of the S8E shocks?
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #2

Default Re: Springs for SE8

why not go with losi buttom ones.
i was keen to do the same. but good you done it. would love to see whats different it got to 80.
Toprpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprpm View Post
why not go with losi buttom ones.
i was keen to do the same. but good you done it. would love to see whats different it got to 80.
I have some experience with Traxxas TRX-4 GTS shocks modded to use Losi Mini-T springs. They work great for a semi-droop setup. I was going to put a set of these shocks on my Phoenix portal, but it actually sat a bit too low, and I was getting some binding in the suspension. So I went ahead and just used the included 80mm S8E's - and actually like them. Aside from the shock collars, they are very smooth and work well on the Phoenix Portal.

The reason I asked about springs for the new 90mm S8E's is I am building a second Phoenix with SCX10-III straight axles. I figured I'd need to go up to 90's to maintain axle clearance and full articulation. But if the 90mm springs don't become available pretty soon, I will try something else - at least for now.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
JMo

Since the preload collars from the Gmade RSD shocks fit on the S8E bodies, it follows you could use their springs - however, the Gmade springs (even in their 'soft' version) are noticeably stiffer than the Vanquish springs, so you may not want to use those unless your rig is particularly heavy.

Following that train of thought, another option would be to use some springs from those cheap blue anodised shocks you see on Ebay - I've used those on my Gmade shocks in the past, and they are appreciably softer and I think work well. The nice thing about those Ebay shocks is you can get a set of 4 for around $20, and since they are dual spring, you get a lot of springs for your $20. The also come in lengths of 80/90/100 and even 110mm and 120mm too, so lots of length options too - although fortunately the Vanquish shock bodies have plenty of thread* for adjusting the height of the preload collar depending on how long your springs are.

edit. note in the photo below, this is one of the springs from the 100mm version of the ebay 'dual spring' shocks (which use two springs and a spacer between them per shock) - ie. for the 80mm Gmade shock body, you need to use one of the 100mm shock springs for it to be a similar length... if you want to fit these springs on the Phoenix S8E shocks, I'd suggest you buy the 110mm or even 120mm ebay shocks, as the springs are around 10mm longer on the S8E shocks.

*just as long as you can thread those damn preload collars on in the first place of course! - hence my suggestion in using the Gmade collars instead.

photo. Ebay spring on a Gmade shock - the collars of which fit on the Vanquish shock body.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by JMo; 12-15-2021 at 12:10 PM.
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've got some GMade RSD shocks, so I know exactly what you mean about their springs being entirely too stiff. I bought a set of the "ultra soft" springs and they are still way too stiff.

Gmade makes some good stuff though. The RSD shocks themselves are nice. I also just bought a couple extra sets of their spring collars to replace the stock Incision ones.

Thanks for the tip on the cheapo eBay shocks/springs. I will look into those.

- Rob
Old 12-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Why not buy the incision shock spring set?
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That spring set is for their previous model of shocks used on the VS4-10 Origin & Pro(90mm), and Ultra(80mm). The S8E shocks which were introduced with the Phoenix Portal have larger diameter shock bodies and springs. The old-style springs won't work on the S8E's.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Update: I built my set of 90mm S8E shocks and confirmed that pretty much any of the "usual" spring sets from other manufacturers for 90mm shocks will work, including TRX-4, Element, and Axial SCX10-II and SCX10-III springs.

I ended up using Axial SCX10-III Green springs on the front and TRX-4 Natural (No Stripe) springs on the rear of my straight axle Phoenix with 90mm S8E shocks. That setup seems to work well for me.

Still interested in getting some alternative 80mm springs for my Portal axle Phoenix. But haven't seen them offered yet by Vanquish. I think RC4WD might offer some spring sets for their King Shocks that could work.

Springs for SE8 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil shocks w/leaf springs (no coil springs) VR6 BeelzeDub G-Made Sawback 9 05-18-2016 07:52 AM
Schock-Setup - why run internal springs, or no springs? Turbo-s Axial XR10 3 02-10-2012 09:16 AM
Custom Deaver Springs or ARB OMU springs Agama Chit Chat 8 08-08-2011 01:31 PM
Losi Mini springs vs. Associated RC18T springs zjguy721 Axial XR10 1 04-05-2011 07:41 PM