Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #41

Default Re: B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon

I like the decals included.

It is odd that this kit has metal sliders. I don't like that at all. Plastic sliders will, well, slide better over the rocks. The weight would probably be similar to the aluminum versions. I think I would change mine to plastic and hopefully the VS4-10 or Fordyce sliders bolt up to this chassis.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2023, 08:32 AM   #42
RCC Addict

I’m in for a B-Mow livery on the stance body, here’s to some unseasonably warm weather in Ohio this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:08 AM   #43
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I like the decals included.

It is odd that this kit has metal sliders. I don't like that at all. Plastic sliders will, well, slide better over the rocks. The weight would probably be similar to the aluminum versions. I think I would change mine to plastic and hopefully the VS4-10 or Fordyce sliders bolt up to this chassis.
Yes, the decal package is nice. I thought the same thing about the sliders, but then thought about other aftermarket vendors like Rock Pirates RC and IERC that have come out with thick and heavy metal sliders. The VP sliders a very light weight metal if that matters, but still are metal. They do have a very slick surface, so they may slide OK. I thought about making my own set of sliders out of some Kydex like I used on the VFD skid plate on one of my other builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m in for a B-Mow livery on the stance body, here’s to some unseasonably warm weather in Ohio this weekend.

Thanks Tom! Sure doesn't feel like Christmas time around here, but I'll take any day in December that is above 40 and/or 50 degrees. The older I get the warmer the weather I'm hoping for.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:24 AM   #44
Go Buckeyes!

Got the Stance painted yesterday. I’ll have more pics later.

Old 12-24-2023, 04:16 PM   #45
RCC Addict

That looks good brian! Love the fade u done. Your paint skills are great, far exceed mine lol

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #46
RCC Addict

I've seen the pics from Facebook. Truck looks amazing.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #47
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
That looks good brian! Love the fade u done. Your paint skills are great, far exceed mine lol

Thanks bama! I'm just a guy with a can of spray paint. We have the same set of skills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
I've seen the pics from Facebook. Truck looks amazing.
Thanks man! Just posted more on FB earlier.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:05 AM   #48
Go Buckeyes!

I promised more pics later. Here they are. I meant to get these posted earlier in the week.

So like always with each new build I struggle to come up with a paint scheme. This was no different and I tossed a few different ones around. I finally ended up with this one. I decided to paint this to somewhat match my Rock Pirate RC portal build I did last year. I had just enough spray paint left over to finish this Stance body.

For the main colors, I used Tamiya PS-63 Bright Gun Metal faded into Traxxas #5074 Metallic Blue. I sprayed the blue first on the back half and then came back with the gun metal on the front half for the fade. Super simple to do the fade. You just have to pick a spot on the body and keep the spray behind that spot. I drew on the outside film with a Sharpie where I wanted the fade to begin.

For the stripe, I used Tamiya #PS-15 Metallic Red on the edges and Traxxas #5046 Mirror Chrome in the center. I used Tamiya 2mm masking tape to mask of the red portion. I sprayed the chrome first, then backed it with a silver and then sprayed the metallic red. The silver over the chrome kept the darker red color from darkening the chrome too much.

For the grille, front windshield moulding and bed area, I cut the outside film to used as a mask. I sprayed Tamiya PS-5 Black topped with Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear to dull and protect the black paint.

I decided not to use too many decals. I did use a combo of the decals that came with the VRD Carbon and the Stance body. The window decals that come with the Carbon have a dark tint to them. Since I paint the front windshield moulding, I decided to cut the tint off the windshield decal and only use the Vanquish Products portion of it at the top. I think this look better than an all dark tint on the front windshield.

For those that haven't seen the Rock Pirates RC portal build, here it is. This is where I stole the paint scheme from! More of that build can be found here: B-MOW's BF VP Bundle Build - VS4-10 Style

Name:  IMG_1035.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  182.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3607.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3608.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3609.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  183.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3614.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  181.7 KB

More on the wheel and tire combo later.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:09 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Dang thats purdy! Love that RPRC rig too. Almost thought those were my red white n blue wheels for a second there lol

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:13 PM   #50
Slow is the new Fast

Very nice, the colors fade well into each other. Am right diggin' it

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:45 PM   #51
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Dang thats purdy! Love that RPRC rig too. Almost thought those were my red white n blue wheels for a second there lol

Thanks bama! Nice wheels! I'm still trying to figure out an IFR combo and after seeing yours, I may have to do something similar. It'll match my paint scheme pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Very nice, the colors fade well into each other. Am right diggin' it

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Thanks for diggin' it smog!
Old 01-01-2024, 06:27 PM   #52
Go Buckeyes!

Ok, now that the body is painted and done I can get back to finishing the chassis and other odds and ends I want to do to this rig.

First off, I wanted to add the other alum standoff that was left out of the VFD trans. Since I'm running the little side tray on the driver side of the VFD, the standoff does not fit and will not bolt in as it is.

While I have the VFD out, I'm going to swap out the 56T spur for the 52T spur gear that should have been included in the kit. The manual shows the 52T, but a 56T spur was included in the kit. Also picked up a 14T pinion. From what I've read, the 52T/14T is a good combo.

Also showing is 2 different style winch mounts that I 3D printed. They bolt up front where the front bumper bolts in. I haven't decided yet which one I'm going to use.

Name:  IMG_3678.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  180.5 KB

Here is how the VFD looks with the side tray installed. I cut the standoff to a length of 50mm. I then filed it down just slightly so that it fit in-between the tray mounts. The standoff may not be needed, but I like how it looks with it installed and I think it looks better since the faux plastic transmission cover is not installed. While I had the trans apart, I flipped the other standoff around so that "Vanquish" could be read the right way when looked at it from the side. Again, all for looks and it helps with my OCD!

Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  154.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3681.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3682.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  177.6 KB
Old 01-01-2024, 06:37 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Coming together nicely. I’m planning on grabbing a 52t spur as well. I like how you did the left side standoff, that’s how it should have been done to begin with

Old 01-02-2024, 04:45 AM   #54
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Coming together nicely. I’m planning on grabbing a 52t spur as well. I like how you did the left side standoff, that’s how it should have been done to begin with

Thanks Tom. I agree it should have came that way.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:30 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I promised more pics later. Here they are. I meant to get these posted earlier in the week.

So like always with each new build I struggle to come up with a paint scheme. This was no different and I tossed a few different ones around. I finally ended up with this one. I decided to paint this to somewhat match my Rock Pirate RC portal build I did last year. I had just enough spray paint left over to finish this Stance body.

For the main colors, I used Tamiya PS-63 Bright Gun Metal faded into Traxxas #5074 Metallic Blue. I sprayed the blue first on the back half and then came back with the gun metal on the front half for the fade. Super simple to do the fade. You just have to pick a spot on the body and keep the spray behind that spot. I drew on the outside film with a Sharpie where I wanted the fade to begin.

For the stripe, I used Tamiya #PS-15 Metallic Red on the edges and Traxxas #5046 Mirror Chrome in the center. I used Tamiya 2mm masking tape to mask of the red portion. I sprayed the chrome first, then backed it with a silver and then sprayed the metallic red. The silver over the chrome kept the darker red color from darkening the chrome too much.

For the grille, front windshield moulding and bed area, I cut the outside film to used as a mask. I sprayed Tamiya PS-5 Black topped with Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear to dull and protect the black paint.

I decided not to use too many decals. I did use a combo of the decals that came with the VRD Carbon and the Stance body. The window decals that come with the Carbon have a dark tint to them. Since I paint the front windshield moulding, I decided to cut the tint off the windshield decal and only use the Vanquish Products portion of it at the top. I think this look better than an all dark tint on the front windshield.

For those that haven't seen the Rock Pirates RC portal build, here it is. This is where I stole the paint scheme from! More of that build can be found here: B-MOW's BF VP Bundle Build - VS4-10 Style

Attachment 403611

More on the wheel and tire combo later.
Wow what body is that? I love it!

This paint and truck looks great as well.

I also like how you added the standoff back in with the electronics tray. Excellent!

Good to know about the spur should I order a VRD Carbon.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:52 AM   #56
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Wow what body is that? I love it!

This paint and truck looks great as well.

I also like how you added the standoff back in with the electronics tray. Excellent!

Good to know about the spur should I order a VRD Carbon.
If you're talking about the first pic, it is the Traxxas '35 Hot Rod Truck and it is mounted on my Rock Pirates RC F10 portal build.

Yeah, the guys mentioned it on VP Live a few weeks ago that the wrong spur was included. I think 52T spur paired with the 14T pinion should be a great combo.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:02 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
If you're talking about the first pic, it is the Traxxas '35 Hot Rod Truck and it is mounted on my Rock Pirates RC F10 portal build.

Yeah, the guys mentioned it on VP Live a few weeks ago that the wrong spur was included. I think 52T spur paired with the 14T pinion should be a great combo.
I don't know why it only quoted with words, but if you click on the "Attachment 403611" it shows the photo in question. It does look like the Traxxas Hot Rod truck so thank you.

Last night Vanquish stated the Stance RTR comes with a 56T pinion and confirmed that is correct. They even updated the product listing after I told them it still says 52T. Pinion is 15T. What issues are people having with this gearing?
Old 01-03-2024, 07:53 AM   #58
RCC Addict

I'd guess that they went with 56t spur on the RTR for a little extra gear reduction to help that 35t brushed motor deal with the over/underdrive.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't know why it only quoted with words, but if you click on the "Attachment 403611" it shows the photo in question. It does look like the Traxxas Hot Rod truck so thank you.

Last night Vanquish stated the Stance RTR comes with a 56T pinion and confirmed that is correct. They even updated the product listing after I told them it still says 52T. Pinion is 15T. What issues are people having with this gearing?

Idk if the vrd having a 56t spur was intentional or not, but Josh himself recommended people switch to a 52t at some point. Also, the ultra and phoenix portal trucks all came 52t, so that’s probably why a lot of people think the vrd should as well. At the same time, those are trail trucks, and the vrd is more performance oriented. A lot of performance trucks are running motors in the 2000kv range and 4s, so a little lower gearing is probably just fine.

But like you said, in the most recent vp live it was mentioned that the stock gearing was just right or even still a touch fast when using a fusion 2300kv… like always gearing is a personal preference and people should definitely set it up how they want.

Personally I’m planning to use a 1000kv revolver stubby, and had intended to use a 52t but I think I talked myself out of that since I plan to run 4s myself.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:59 PM   #60
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

I didn't even see the attachment. Yep that's the '35 Hot Rod truck and it is cut up pretty good to fit the chassis!

I have heard and seen in the past that portal rigs should have a 52T spur and a straight axle rig should use a 56T spur. I think it all has to do with the portal gearing. I believe I heard VP say this. I do know that my Builders Bundle portal came with a 52T spur and my Builders Bundle straight axle came with a 56T spur when I bought them late 2022.

Mr. Dan Wilson is who mentioned using the 52T spur and 14T pinion on the VRD Carbon and that is what I plan on using.

Tags
b-mow71, vanquish, vrd, vrd carbon

B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's Enduro Journey! B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 243 04-08-2024 08:22 AM
New Vanquish VRD Carbon Sniper4370 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 122 02-26-2024 08:48 AM
B-MOW's IFS Trailwalker B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 113 05-31-2023 09:16 AM