Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2024, 05:53 PM   #61

Default Re: B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I didn't even see the attachment. Yep that's the '35 Hot Rod truck and it is cut up pretty good to fit the chassis!

I have heard and seen in the past that portal rigs should have a 52T spur and a straight axle rig should use a 56T spur. I think it all has to do with the portal gearing. I believe I heard VP say this. I do know that my Builders Bundle portal came with a 52T spur and my Builders Bundle straight axle came with a 56T spur when I bought them late 2022.

Mr. Dan Wilson is who mentioned using the 52T spur and 14T pinion on the VRD Carbon and that is what I plan on using.
Thank you. The body looks great and is very unique. I haven't seen it on a crawler before.

Also, thank you about the gearing tip! Noted for when I buy my VRD Carbon.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2024, 03:59 AM   #62
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thank you. The body looks great and is very unique. I haven't seen it on a crawler before.

Also, thank you about the gearing tip! Noted for when I buy my VRD Carbon.
RCC member Distinctive PD had the same Hot Rod body on one of his builds. When I first saw his I knew I had to build one for myself. Fricker08 now owns PD's beautiful build. I was/is a fantastic build!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:45 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
RCC member Distinctive PD had the same Hot Rod body on one of his builds. When I first saw his I knew I had to build one for myself. Fricker08 now owns PD's beautiful build. I was/is a fantastic build!

I'm still angry and happy at Fricker for buying that. I wanted it. Didn't need it.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:23 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
I'm still angry and happy at Fricker for buying that. I wanted it. Didn't need it.

Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:31 AM   #65
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was bummed when I saw that it was for sale and I knew that I didn't have a chance in hell to buy it. But then seeing it pop back up on a Fricker thread made me happy knowing that I may get to see it again.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:13 PM   #66
Go Buckeyes!

Not too much to report, but did get the Fusion SE 1800kv delivered a couple days ago.

I got 'er in and mounted the receiver. Still need to get the wiring laid out and routed. Not in a real big hurry since the weather here in frigid Ohio has been in the single digits with wind chills in the negative. Hurry up and get here Spring!

Name:  IMG_3790.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3805.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  186.5 KB

Edit: Oh damn, just realized I hit 4,000 posts! That's a lot of Bullsh**ing!

Last edited by B-MOW71; 01-18-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:

Edit: Oh damn, just realized I hit 4,000 posts! That's a lot of Bullsh**ing!
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #68
Go Buckeyes!

Spent some time today on the VRD and trying to decide where to mount the battery.

The 2 obvious choices are on the sliders. So to determine which side the battery should go on, I threw the VRD on my SkyRC scales to see how the all around weight was as it sits in stock form with the NSDRC RS-500B servo, HW Fusion SE 1800kv and the RadioLink R6FG 6-channel receiver installed.

As it sits it has pretty good weight bias. Right where most of us like our rigs to be. It looks like to level out the side to side bias, the battery will more than likely sit on the passenger side slider.

Name:  IMG_3808.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  186.0 KB

I have 3 smaller batteries in my lineup that I have to choose from. A Tattu 3S 1300mAh 45C, Goldbat 3S 1500mAh 100C and a Ovonic Air 3S 2200mAh 35C. The Ovonic has been my battery of choice here lately that I run in most all of my rigs. A fairly inexpensive battery with great power and run times. And it's small size is nice and fits in tight spots nicely.

Name:  IMG_3809.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  186.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3810.jpg
Views: 498

Name:  IMG_3811.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  185.7 KB

After fitting each of the batteries on the pass. side slider, the weights are very similar. I think for now I will run the Ovonic 2200mAh. I want to eventually buy some smaller batteries like maybe an 850mAh or similar to possibly mount the battery up in next to the VFD or maybe up in front of the VFD in the future.

Name:  IMG_3812.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  181.4 KB
Old 01-21-2024, 10:10 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Lookin' good!
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:52 AM   #70
RCC Addict

You planning on competition or trail use for this truck? For competitions, that 1300 is the biggest pack I run. I only run that on our long courses like the 50 gate or team comp that was multiple laps around a long course with hill climbs, etc. I can get 45 minutes to an hour out of it. For typical 10 gate comps I like to run ~550-650mah. Thats has enough juice to run 2 courses if I forget to swap out packs, or ~25 minutes of run time on a 650. My point is those Hobbywing setups are pretty efficient so dont be scared of small batteries.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:29 PM   #71
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Lookin' good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
You planning on competition or trail use for this truck? For competitions, that 1300 is the biggest pack I run. I only run that on our long courses like the 50 gate or team comp that was multiple laps around a long course with hill climbs, etc. I can get 45 minutes to an hour out of it. For typical 10 gate comps I like to run ~550-650mah. Thats has enough juice to run 2 courses if I forget to swap out packs, or ~25 minutes of run time on a 650. My point is those Hobbywing setups are pretty efficient so dont be scared of small batteries.
I don't comp, but have thought about possibly taken the VRD to a weekly comp series that is about an hour northeast of me. It's a great indoor and outdoor course that is run by a great group of guys.

I normally just hit the parks with RC friends and have friendly "comps" between us on rocks and obstacles we find along the way. Sometimes throw down some gates to see who's the best on that particular day.

That's good info on the battery pack sizes for the different length comps. Thanks for that. I'm going to pick up some of the smaller mAh packs to try out in the VRD.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:34 PM   #72
Go Buckeyes!

Took the VRD out for its first drive today. I went to Delaware State Park dam about 50 minutes away from me. Never been there before, but have always wanted to check it out. I met up with others from the area and did some trailing and crawling. The rocks on the dam were the perfect size and shape to give the VRD a good test. Big, jagged, uneven and some were steep.

I gotta say, I've read the hype and seen the pics of peoples thoughts on how capable the VRD Carbon is. I can now say after driving it, all the awesomeness that I've heard is true. I've driven a lot of different style rigs over the years, but never nothing this great right out of the box. It was pretty much point and shoot and it would tackle and overcome every rock obstacle I could throw at it. It is so light and nimble and very predictable. Vanquish did their homework and have produced a real winner!

The Fusion SE 1800kv is the perfect power plant for this rig. Super smooth low end with enough power to bump over rocks if needed. The new NSDRC RS 500 SB budget servo is perfect for this type of lightweight rig. Plenty of quickness and power to turn the tires. And for the price it is hard to beat.

Enough talking, here's the pics of the fun today:

Name:  IMG_3955.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  187.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3969.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3971.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3978.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3984.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3953.jpg
Views: 389

Name:  IMG_3958.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  179.5 KB

I'm looking forward to the next warm days so that I can get this back out on the rocks to do more testing. As of today, I really can't think of any modifications or tuning that it needs. It is just that good right out of the box.

The Hyrax tires are just a spare set that I had laying around and mounted them up for the time being. The Hyrax actually did a great job. I do want to try out a few different sets of tires that I have to get a feel of how the VRD will do with different rubber on it.

All in all, a great day to be out tiny trucking! Couldn't ask for better weather here in Ohio on February 4th! I did get some good video of the run today, so I'm going to try to get it all together and get it put up on my YouTube page when I get a chance. It's been awhile since I've posted any vids on there, so I'll have to re-teach myself how to do it!
Old 02-05-2024, 06:46 AM   #73

Glad to hear it performed so well for you. I'm anxious to get mine out on the rocks!

How much run time did you get with that battery? I'm in battery selection mode right now and I may go up to 4S and keep the capacity low. The battle would be trying to get gearing that would keep the Fusion Pro 2300kV under control with 4S. I wouldn't want to get less than an hour of runtime though. I'm sure you got way more than that with the 3S 2200mAh pack.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:37 AM   #74
Slow is the new Fast

Rig looks great, love the pics. Looks like a gorgeous February day. Sounds like I better keep that kit on my shopping list

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:36 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

looks like a great time and challenging terrain for the VRD... Got mine over the weekend from Amain but I have yet to crack it open ... I took out some of my rigs instead, Good to know that the electronics choices are similar to what i had in mind ... How fast would you say the SE 1800 would get ya!!! I think the PRO would be fast for this rig at least for my pace. I don't really beat on my rigs so super speed punches are not necessary.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:00 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Man, such a purdy day! It was nice here too, so i took a couple rigs with me to town. Done the shoppin, hit the park, n realize i left my bag sittin on the floor smh. So no batts or tx.

Love how the paint turned out! Cant wait to see the runnin vid.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:07 PM   #77
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Glad to hear it performed so well for you. I'm anxious to get mine out on the rocks!

How much run time did you get with that battery? I'm in battery selection mode right now and I may go up to 4S and keep the capacity low. The battle would be trying to get gearing that would keep the Fusion Pro 2300kV under control with 4S. I wouldn't want to get less than an hour of runtime though. I'm sure you got way more than that with the 3S 2200mAh pack.
I did run the Ovonic 3S 2200mah battery. I slow poked crawled for well over an hour and never changed the battery. Was having to much fun and didn't pay attention to the total runtime. I honestly think I'll be good on 3S with the package I'm running. I don't have any 4S batteries, so I don't have any plans in the near future to try the 4S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Rig looks great, love the pics. Looks like a gorgeous February day. Sounds like I better keep that kit on my shopping list

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Thanks smog!

Can't beat a February day like that. Though it was a little cool in the shade, so I tried to keep my body in the warm sun. I would keep it on the list for sure. Better yet you may just want to hit that spend more money button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
looks like a great time and challenging terrain for the VRD... Got mine over the weekend from Amain but I have yet to crack it open ... I took out some of my rigs instead, Good to know that the electronics choices are similar to what i had in mind ... How fast would you say the SE 1800 would get ya!!! I think the PRO would be fast for this rig at least for my pace. I don't really beat on my rigs so super speed punches are not necessary.
Thanks Speedy! Terrain was perfect for testing the VRD ability. Passed with flying colors!

Great to hear your VRD arrived. I got a feeling your gonna love it!

I would say that the SE 1800 isn't going to set any land speed records. IMO it has just about the perfect speed for rock crawling. It may be as fast as walking pace, maybe. I don't plan on trailing it, so the speed really isn't needed. It does have enough bumpability to get up and over rock edges when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Man, such a purdy day! It was nice here too, so i took a couple rigs with me to town. Done the shoppin, hit the park, n realize i left my bag sittin on the floor smh. So no batts or tx.

Love how the paint turned out! Cant wait to see the runnin vid.

I nearly did the same thing on the last semi-nice day here in Ohio about a month ago. Loaded the truck, drove 45 minutes to the crawling spot. Got there and realized I forgot my muck boots. It was muddy out and I wasn't wearing the Crocs I wore to drive in to go stomping thru the mud. I was pissed and cussed all the way home! I feel your pain!

Thanks! I'll post a link when I get the vid done.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:55 AM   #78
RCC Addict

The vrd looks great man, I should probably get mine built soon.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:44 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
U still aint got on that yet? Your boy will have it built before u can get to it lol

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:34 AM   #80
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thanks!

You may want to crack the seal on your VRD. Spring is right around the corner according to Mr. Punxsutawney Phil!

Tags
b-mow71, vanquish, vrd, vrd carbon

B-MOW's Vanquish VRD Carbon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's Enduro Journey! B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 243 04-08-2024 08:22 AM
New Vanquish VRD Carbon Sniper4370 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 122 02-26-2024 08:48 AM
B-MOW's IFS Trailwalker B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 113 05-31-2023 09:16 AM