Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New scaler - Vaterra Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: New scaler - Vaterra Ascender

Very nice... I like it so far. It's swell of them to provide all the tech info right up front in the manual form, good job Vaterra!!!!

Of course the first thing I think is "Ok enough with the flash and surface viewing let me see them axle & tranny bits".

The pinion drive shaft pinion interface area I see some advantages and some dis-advantages.

Advantages,
- the pinion output yoke shouldered by the bearing is IMO strong
- the yoke is closer to the axle housing allowing a longer shaft thus less angle, less stress.
- CVD style drive shafts, metal parts at high stress points.
- Did I mention Strong so you probably won't have to fiddle with them too much in the field
- Front CVD's are a big plus

Dis-Advantages,
- Proprietary design, no choice but to run Vaterra replacements if you break
- Removing the drive shaft now looks a bit more involved, more small parts to lose (in the field)
Edit: upon looking in more detail I see the pin in captured by the big bearing which means to remove the drive shaft, you might have to remove the pinion. hmmm it just became more involved.

I really like the way the steering is setup. Oh, and then trans is going to make a nice transfer case especially with the two speed option.

Over-all I love the look of the axles and can't wait to see them under some rigs.

Last edited by rockhugger; 08-07-2014 at 01:12 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

I just thumbed through the assembly manual, a lot of the designs remind me very much of the current SCX-10 platform, especially the driveshafts. I like the looks of this new rig, I'm hoping that the LHS will get one of these in so I can look at it in person.

Hooray for scale width and sized axles and a nicely detailed body kit.

I wonder if there was a collective " oh sh*t " at Axial today when the news of this kit was released.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #83
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I just thumbed through the assembly manual, a lot of the designs remind me very much of the current SCX-10 platform, especially the driveshafts. I like the looks of this new rig, I'm hoping that the LHS will get one of these in so I can look at it in person.

I wonder if there was a collective " oh sh*t " at Axial today when the news of this kit was released.
I would like to be a fly on the wall right now at axial....
lappdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Really like that axle design. I thought a 1 piece cast ring gear/diff would be an issue in the sawbacks, but so far so good from what I've heard. Also that pinion being held on by a screw is a nice touch - makes the entire gear set replaceable from the front.

Can't help it - just put one on backorder. Aside from the Kemora's, these Vaterra guys are on to something....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Steering looks great, the grill is awesome, only thing ill critique is the sliders...I personally hate when they are done like that, just my opinion, but it always makes me think "how do they open the door?" Plus IMO, I think when the sliders are laid out more flat it helps pivot your against obstacles sometimes.
Looks like to change this you just mount the left slider on the rigth side and vice versa. And maybe adjust the angle by where you thigthen the screws.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

Definitely an add to my collection!
Spizo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

W0W, looks great on initial pictures, etc....love it! Hope the quality and durability are good, Axial needs some real scaler competition. I love my SCX, but the huge axle pumpkins are not scale at all.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i assume the axle widths are somewhere around TLT width.
although i know my TLT proline k5 doesnt tuck the tires. sticks out about 1/2
I think the body is just really wide - it's listed at 9.0" wide. I bet they will be a great option to narrow though.

Last edited by Highmark; 08-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Really like that axle design. I thought a 1 piece cast ring gear/diff would be an issue in the sawbacks, but so far so good from what I've heard. Also that pinion being held on by a screw is a nice touch - makes the entire gear set replaceable from the front.

Can't help it - just put one on backorder. Aside from the Kemora's, these Vaterra guys are on to something....
I belive your right vaterra is hitting on this one for sure, I got one on back order along with the yeti...lol..
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #90
Pebble Pounder

I like it. Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Brainanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

I will refrain from using expletives, but man oh man is it difficult. It's about FRICKIN' time. It's about FRICKIN' time. It never, NEVER ceased to amaze me how other RC companies sat back and watched Axial rake in TRUCKLOADS - no, BOATLOADS of cash from the SCX10 platform. Let's face it, folks - although the SCX10 is a superb design, uh, a ladder frame ain't exactly rocket science. It's not that hard to copy. And that's what Vaterra did - they simply copied the SCX10. But guess what - that was EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Well done, Vaterra. Obviously we need to know the full details from a proper review, but unless this thing is a COMPLETE dogpile, it is a GRAND SLAM for Vaterra and for RC in general.
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #92
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
man those thin axle tubes look amazing. and no lockouts on the rear. just scale tubes! and diff cover.

and lol at all the keyboard crawler axle failures on a rig thats not out yet.
i dont think this rig and big brushless power belong in the same thread personally.
you would not see this truck entering a U4, bouncer, or mega truck 1:1 events. we already have RCs that fit those markets.
i assume the axle widths are somewhere around TLT width.
although i know my TLT proline k5 doesnt tuck the tires. sticks out about 1/2" per side with 1.55s.

and i really like how its a KIT! went after us as the market, instead of the mass hobbyshop sales of the RTR kits.
very cool Vaterra....

Well said sir well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

I don't think axial was having an oh sh1t moment...not as much as I would think tamiya is...

"Hello? Hello? Tamiya ? Yes hello it's 2014 and your getting your ass handed to you...have you considered coming out with a new truck that has NARROW axles, isn't built to do wheelies or isn't the same as 10 other kits with a lame cartoonish body ??? Ya might wanna take a look around...just saying"
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I like how the pandhard bar mounts to the C-hub and not the axle tube... and that the frame mount hangs out there to the driver side off the shock hoop. Even if the axles can't handle huge power, I'm ok with that. It looks like a great platform in the making, and the aftermarket will flock to this new truck and give it all kinds of love.

The width of the axles looks to around 8.6" according to Horizon. VATERRA 1/10 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Ascender 4WD Kit (VTR03023) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Dont get me wrong i love the SCX10 but it will FINALLY be nice to buy a different scale rig. Definitely a lot of awesome strait out of the box
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Very Nice Job You Guys Did Vaterra !
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Vaterra Chevrolet K5 Blazer scaler

Wow I'm pretty interested in this!
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousOne View Post
I will refrain from using expletives, but man oh man is it difficult. It's about FRICKIN' time. It's about FRICKIN' time. It never, NEVER ceased to amaze me how other RC companies sat back and watched Axial rake in TRUCKLOADS - no, BOATLOADS of cash from the SCX10 platform. Let's face it, folks - although the SCX10 is a superb design, uh, a ladder frame ain't exactly rocket science. It's not that hard to copy. And that's what Vaterra did - they simply copied the SCX10. But guess what - that was EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Well done, Vaterra. Obviously we need to know the full details from a proper review, but unless this thing is a COMPLETE dogpile, it is a GRAND SLAM for Vaterra and for RC in general.
I wouldn't call it a copy of an scx, seems they improved it in a lot of areas.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #98
Oppan Gangnam Style

So looking at step A5 in the manual I noticed there is a lot of room inside and there is this piece VTR232068, looks like a dummy plug for a shaft.... Could there be a dig or 2 speed option in the near future?

I have not looked at my Twin Hammers in a very long time, so maybe this uses the same case. If so, maybe we can 2 speed it.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #99
Sr. Product Developer

Thanks everyone for the comments...even Harley

I'm really excited about this project and we'll be working hard to provide more information for you guys including videos ect.

It seems to be getting tougher to find time to hit the boards like i use to but i'll do my best to answer and share info as much as possible.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
So looking at step A5 in the manual I noticed there is a lot of room inside and there is this piece VTR232068, looks like a dummy plug for a shaft.... Could there be a dig or 2 speed option in the near future?

I have not looked at my Twin Hammers in a very long time, so maybe this uses the same case. If so, maybe we can 2 speed it.
There is a 2 speed option! It shares parts with the twin hammers trans..
lappdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

New scaler - Vaterra Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra Chevrolet K5 Blazer scaler aircooled General Scale Talk 12 08-07-2014 09:53 AM
For a vaterra SCALER14 Tires and Wheels 11 02-20-2013 03:41 PM