Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New scaler - Vaterra Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New scaler - Vaterra Ascender

I can't wait to get one .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments...even Harley

I'm really excited about this project and we'll be working hard to provide more information for you guys including videos ect.

It seems to be getting tougher to find time to hit the boards like i use to but i'll do my best to answer and share info as much as possible.
Wow this thread is HOT!!!!
Just posted a message and the horizon Hobby rep posted!!!
lappdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #103
RCC Addict

I am an Axial fan boy, but this has me interested.
Nice job Vaterra
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #104
Rock Stacker

Wow, I came to post about this. Way late. Just today over 100 posts! I still have to build my SCX10 Jeep kit but this is a good followup. My hunch is to wait will Vaterra blows this out as so many of their cars don't last long before they mark them down, but this is different, and will have a different following. It should have some staying power in the market. Now they can make a few variants down the road with the same chassis. So this has similar upgrades included like in the Rubicon kit, right? Cause it's an expensive kit for me. Especially considering I just got a Wraith RTR for $305 shipped. Still, it can be outfitted on the cheap with new pull Axial parts for the elecs at around $100 or less. It's a shame that Tower does not handle HH, I've been using the club discounts and it has really been great. There's always the 15% off we'll see closer to Christmas.

No videos yet? I didn't see one n the Vaterra site.
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #105
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappdogg View Post
There is a 2 speed option! It shares parts with the twin hammers trans..
Yup, just saw one of the pics shows a cutaway and looks to be the same as the TH. Awesome!

Also looks like no king pin inclination (unnecessary on an R/C crawler in my opinion) that means portal modding will be easier for me.

Last edited by chino63; 08-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Anybody want to buy a used Trail Honcho?
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

In step F-7 of the manual wtf does the little short dogbone link bolt to from the top of the axle pumpkin to where and why???
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Nice 1 more player in the game

I hope the variable wheelbase indicate that more bodies are to follow.

Regarding the narrower rails, i hope they are not so narrow that my 2500 mah lipos wont fit in the front like i have them in my honcho.

Not a fan of the full size 5000 mah battery i run in my TF2, but due to the body beeing screwed on i dont run my small 1300 and 2500 in it.

/me looking for a local "contract" that can finance one of these and some other stuff
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

I love that the axle tube is straight going into the C. That means you can just trim the tube and mount the c at any width.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
In step F-7 of the manual wtf does the little short dogbone link bolt to from the top of the axle pumpkin to where and why???
Goes to the end of the battery tray so while the tray is mounted to the chassis some of the battery weight is transferred onto the front axle also.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Goes to the end of the battery tray so while the tray is mounted to the chassis some of the battery weight is transferred onto the front axle also.
Ah, ok that makes perfect sense...their directions leave something to be desired.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Hopefully the tire beads are same as everybody else, not like the Twin Hammers one off crap. The adjustable links with long set screws and several spacers is kinda hokey, but it keeps the kit cost lower. Some kingpin inclination (caster) would help crawling, guess we can just rotate the hubs and drill new holes in the housing tubes as long as this doesn't cause the steering linkage to hit the frame etc.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #113
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I love that the axle tube is straight going into the C. That means you can just trim the tube and mount the c at any width.
Even looks like they notched the front shock/link mount to allow for you to pull in the C-Hubs. I wonder if where the axles go into the locker is key'd with longer flats so you only need to trim the end of the axles. Could make it very easy to narrow them.
erikstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

I really like the fact that the tires tuck up under. Looks like a new contender for axial.
ima_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Well with all this positivety floating around, how about a couple doses of negitivety, mostly just for the sake of argument.

I, for one, am not digging the drag link connected to the tie rod instead of the steering knuckle. I know that on a 1:1 that results in a little slop as the drag link will slightly rotate the tie rod before it turns the knuckles.

I know that everyone is excited about the scale looking axles, but to me they look like mall crawler ready 10 bolts complete with chrome diff covers. At least they have a chin gaurd on them. I am skeptical that the small ring/pinion will survive as well as the Axial units.

And why the heck does it cost more than a Twin Hammers kit? It seems on the surface that the Hammers gets more parts and a two speed? Licensing fees for the schweet Blazer body?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #116
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Well with all this positivety floating around, how about a couple doses of negitivety, mostly just for the sake of argument.

I, for one, am not digging the drag link connected to the tie rod instead of the steering knuckle. I know that on a 1:1 that results in a little slop as the drag link will slightly rotate the tie rod before it turns the knuckles.

I know that everyone is excited about the scale looking axles, but to me they look like mall crawler ready 10 bolts complete with chrome diff covers. At least they have a chin gaurd on them. I am skeptical that the small ring/pinion will survive as well as the Axial units.

And why the heck does it cost more than a Twin Hammers kit? It seems on the surface that the Hammers gets more parts and a two speed? Licensing fees for the schweet Blazer body?
I agree with you on the drag link/tie rod thing, probably trying to imitate the 1:1 for scaleness.

I think the R&P will work for your average guy, I don't think this kit was designed for us power hungry idiots. If my Bruiser axles with pot metal gears can last a couple years of abuse these might do just fine. I wish the ratio was better though even at the cost of a larger R&P and center section.

As for price, I agree it's a lot more than I was expecting to see, should drop after the newness wears off.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Well,I see some good,some bad,and some different. We all know the weak points on the SCX-10 and a lot of ways to fix them. The after market has spawned many options for the scx with many different ways to do what you want. One of my concerns is the strength of the axle tubes,there doesn't look like a lot of beef there. I am hoping that the after market will pick this truck up to cover the weak points as we find them. As with any thing in this hobby time will tell. I build my rigs slowly from the box up with the best I can find from the start before the tires ever hit the ground. I like a lot of this truck but I think I will wait to see what happens. I want to see how the after market responds to the weak points. If I can't fix the weak points,what's the point than to have something different that breaks. They gave us some of what we have been asking for in the box and challenging the SCX, for that I give vaterra props. I'll hold my money for just a little longer.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #118
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I agree with you on the drag link/tie rod thing, probably trying to imitate the 1:1 for scaleness.

I think the R&P will work for your average guy, I don't think this kit was designed for us power hungry idiots. If my Bruiser axles with pot metal gears can last a couple years of abuse these might do just fine. I wish the ratio was better though even at the cost of a larger R&P and center section.

As for price, I agree it's a lot more than I was expecting to see, should drop after the newness wears off.
Dean if I am not mistaken the bruiser axles were only 2:1 as well right ?? And I agree, I still have a truck with my rummy axles and I have snapped front shaft ends off and brazed tlts ends on (your trick) and still have not stripped a r/p with 2s and 35 or 45 turn motor
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

It may be scale but it could be great or just be scale crap. It cost more because "scale" is the new "in" thing so idiots will be lined up around the block to buy them even if they suck.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Yes pretty exciting news from Vaterra.

I'm definitely getting one and since my 8yr old daughter has been begging me to let her build a new rig I think this one will be a great experience for the both of us.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

New scaler - Vaterra Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra Chevrolet K5 Blazer scaler aircooled General Scale Talk 12 08-07-2014 09:53 AM
For a vaterra SCALER14 Tires and Wheels 11 02-20-2013 03:41 PM